U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 07:51 PM

20,724 posts, read 38,947,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Agree! We do both, and the hummers visit both the feeders and the flowers.

This right here. We have feeders (for both hummingbirds and the myriad other birds that visit the place) situated where we can see them best from the house, and plants all over the place (55 acres is a LOT of plants but most of the ones that we have planted, rather than encouraged, are in the acres close to the house).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2019, 09:00 AM

3,026 posts, read 2,604,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
A little while back I posted that I prefer zinnias to hummer feeders because of the naturalness, lack of ants, and the flowers attracting other birds and butterflies. I also have marigolds and a few other flowers on the deck, but I would like to show the "proof in the pudding." All photos were shot by me this past month on my back deck.

And that's great if you have sunlight (I'm in the woods) and don't have deer eating everything.
And there's the occasion when a hummingbird has a prob and can't migrate and winters over. We've taken on a few of them over the years.
Natural is definitely the way to go if you can, but it's not always possible.
We generally had a large hummingbird population of about 40-50 birds but were lucky if we could get more than 2 blooms out of anything they liked. So, in order to keep them around for the fun of it, feeders required.

I tried to grow one tomato plant once in a pot... on wheels.. so I could chase the sunbeam in the yard. It died.

Old 08-03-2019, 09:23 AM

9,085 posts, read 2,772,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
A little while back I posted that I prefer zinnias to hummer feeders because of the naturalness, lack of ants, and the flowers attracting other birds and butterflies. I also have marigolds and a few other flowers on the deck, but I would like to show the "proof in the pudding." All photos were shot by me this past month on my back deck.
Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing photos & tips!

Old 08-03-2019, 12:06 PM

1,055 posts, read 946,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Great photos, and I agree with you. If you need to put out feeders to have wild things in your yard - you are gardening wrong.

Harry, try planting some single dahlias. You'll be amazed.

Another thing about feeders - unless they are meticulously maintained, they can become disease vectors.
Feeders are a good way to attract birds and other animals not attracted to flowers

Old 08-03-2019, 12:11 PM

2,795 posts, read 1,525,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
And that's great if you have sunlight (I'm in the woods) and don't have deer eating everything.
And there's the occasion when a hummingbird has a prob and can't migrate and winters over. We've taken on a few of them over the years.
Natural is definitely the way to go if you can, but it's not always possible.
We generally had a large hummingbird population of about 40-50 birds but were lucky if we could get more than 2 blooms out of anything they liked. So, in order to keep them around for the fun of it, feeders required.

I tried to grow one tomato plant once in a pot... on wheels.. so I could chase the sunbeam in the yard. It died.

We're in the woods too, have some dappled sunlight that suffices. There are some flowers that attract hummingbirds that can grow in the shade. https://homeguides.sfgate.com/hummin...ade-39145.html

As for deer, we put up a fence and problem solved.

Old 08-03-2019, 01:12 PM

1,453 posts, read 994,575 times
One of the ways to attract birds/wildlife is to supply water..

Old 08-04-2019, 06:42 AM

3,026 posts, read 2,604,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
We're in the woods too, have some dappled sunlight that suffices. There are some flowers that attract hummingbirds that can grow in the shade. https://homeguides.sfgate.com/hummin...ade-39145.html

My husband refused to put up a fence in the middle of the forest, he liked to watch the wildlife. I have one now where I am (he passed away last yr) but they jump it. Daily. I have to go 8' and can't swing that right now.

I could not get enough blooms as I said to accommodate the amount of birds we had. And all sorts of things crawled out of the woods and ate everything. I did put artificial flowers out on a table to draw in the fly overs.

I don't have a problem with hanging feeders. We had 5/ 48oz feeders up. During the high season some of those had to be refilled daily. We couldn't stay gone from the house too long because of that. It's definitely a commitment.

Personally, I don't have a prob with putting up feeders. Maybe some of y'all do. And, not too many flowers were in bloom in the winter when there'd be one wintering over like I said.

This was a small vid I put up while my husband was away for a couple weeks and wanted to see how the hummers were doing and making sure I was taking care of them correctly. This is just the feeder that was near the back door. There were 4 others up. He was the one that grew the population and worked with one of the heads of the hummingbird society.

I had to move after he passed and the one thing I miss is our hummers. He'd been building the population for 23 yrs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tao8ibrw8XA

Old 08-05-2019, 09:38 PM

1,933 posts, read 626,786 times
I planted scarlet runner beans on my bean tower and I have never seen so many hummingbirds before!

More than on Agastache Fortunia (Hummingbird Mint) or salvia guaranitica (which they love). They love scarlet runner beans more!

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/orn...nner-beans.htm
https://www.gardeners.com/buy/pole-b...sz=40&start=53

Old 08-10-2019, 06:57 AM

1,098 posts, read 201,001 times
Beautiful photos! I like both feeders and flowers. A number of years ago we got our first hummingbird because I had planted petunias. I immediately went out and got a hummingbird feeder. I noticed over the years that they are attracted to the tubular shaped flowers (petunias, nicotiana, morning glories) that kind of brings them in, but once they see the feeder, they prefer the feeder. Thanks for sharing your photos, they were great.

Old 08-10-2019, 11:01 PM

27,287 posts, read 25,883,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post

I don't see many hummingbirds, but the ones which visit love the Summersweet, Clethra. Butterflies like it, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or