U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2019, 06:51 PM

1,453 posts, read 993,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwanttocamp View Post
Here are the Hostas and another shrub
Attachment 213310

Attachment 213311
On the cherry laurel that is shot shell virus. It comes and goes on my cherry laurels. I have trimmed them and opened them up a bit. That has helped. I have seen cherry laurels in the open with a lot of fun and they are absolutely beautiful.

https://www.walterreeves.com/gardeni...-hole-disease/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prunus_laurocerasus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 05:22 AM

1,680 posts, read 501,347 times
The solution to a “ shot hole” disease on laurel is a 10 feet rule.
Don’t look at your laurels when you closer than 10 feet from it. That’s it. Plant them that far from where you could see them.

Regarding hostas- plant the type with very stiff hard leaves- they won’t get eaten ( they might get a viral disease though - hosta x virus- extremely unattractive and no cure)

Your yard is not your living room- you can keep the inside of your house very neat, clean and orderly- outside- not so much.
Your full control of things ends when you step outside. Live with this knowledge.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:19 AM

2,512 posts, read 2,093,393 times
i have a row of Laurels as well that get this stuff from time to time. The only thing that seems to correct it and stop it is to spray them good with TalStarP. Hose sprayer set to 1oz per gallon, and soak them (wet, not drown). For the past 3 ½ years, it has always worked to save them from attack.

Right now we’re being overrun by chiggar mites. We’re all getting chewed up and they’re in our trees. Those that I can spray, I do and it works for about 45 days. Those that are too high up for my sprayer to reach, we’ve had to bring in the pros. They like TalStarP too, but they use some much stronger stuff (and should, given how much they charge me for the service!)

Old 08-05-2019, 11:33 AM

2,787 posts, read 1,522,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
If wildlife don't eat my plant, they should be ok. If they eat it, they deserve it. It is only toxic to insect, not mammal

Toxic to beneficial insects, as well as whatever is making holes in your leaves. Your garden and the world need beneficial insects. If everyone uses chemicals and kill beneficial insects, we're doomed. Little holes in your leaves are not worth killing beneficial insects.

Look at the big picture, not just your garden.

Old 08-05-2019, 01:07 PM

1,453 posts, read 993,726 times
I use very little chemicals anymore. I use very little fertilizer anymore. I was a Rutger's Master Gardener for 4 years, learned the error of my ways..

I now paint indigenous plants. American holly and pitch pines are two favorites. I harvest holly berries late winter near me (sand mines). I cold soak them for two winters (attic). Then toss them anywhere I think they will prosper. The rest is up to the Lord (hope I can say that).

Leaving my little garden legacy for the wildlife.

Old 08-05-2019, 02:41 PM

1,605 posts, read 871,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
If wildlife don't eat my plant, they should be ok. If they eat it, they deserve it. It is only toxic to insect, not mammal
Maybe you should put some on your vegetable garden.

Old 08-05-2019, 08:30 PM

1,917 posts, read 623,336 times
Honestly, your hosta looks normal for August. By August, most plants look a little worse for the wear. A few holes doesn't hurt them.

In the fall, clean up the area.

In the spring, circle the hosta with cracked egg shells to keep slugs away.

https://www.greenmountainhosta.com/b...-prevent-them/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or