Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2014, 10:11 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,546,753 times

Advertisements

Hi, as a newbie gardener, I have been trying to learn where naturally occurring fertile gardening soil is located in the state. I know most of Florida is sand and is bad for growing anything, but I have read that some areas of Florida are fertile. Maybe up near Tallahassee ? Or near the central Florida northern everglades ? I also wonder if the limestone soil of Ocala that is considered so desirable for creating good grassland for horses ( Ocala calls itself the horse capital ) can also be good for gardening?

I would like to learn to garden and I can move to just about anywhere in Florida ( as long as it isn't too expensive ), and before I buy a home would love to know where the best areas of the state are for gardening and how to chose a home based on that info . Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 10:50 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,986,772 times
Plant City, FL.

No joke.. that's the name.

They are famous for growing strawberries.

Old 06-18-2014, 12:05 PM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Sand is a lot easier to deal with than clay is. All you have to do is add lots of humus and water when needed. Drainage is good and that is a plus for almost any plant.

Old 06-18-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
Plant City, FL.

No joke.. that's the name.

They are famous for growing strawberries.
Plant city ? How cute I love it! But isn't that near Seffner the area where the guy was sucked into the ground by a sinkhole ?

Last edited by vanguardisle; 06-18-2014 at 12:33 PM..

Old 06-18-2014, 12:16 PM

177 posts, read 338,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Sand is a lot easier to deal with than clay is. All you have to do is add lots of humus and water when needed. Drainage is good and that is a plus for almost any plant.
I totally agree It is way easier to add Humus to the sandy soil than to modify clay.

Just stay away from coastal areas where salt or Brackish water may have flooded over the land. Salt infusioned soil is hard to correct.

You may ask this question on the Florida page as the individual area pages tend to be more specific.

Use Google Earth and look at the state for garden and farm areas Orchards etc.

Hot,wet, damp = good conditions for making compost Long growing season = lot of things to compost

Old 06-18-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

I read that most of Florida is soil called Myakka. That it's found only in Florida and is not good for gardening. I wonder if it's good for anything else ? Since it is only found here we could be the only ones to offer the benefit of it.

I found an article stating that soil in the Northern Everglades is peat based and extremely fertile. Just not sure where exactly that location is and if there are homes available there? I read that peat soil is nutrient rich but susceptible to water logging.

I also found a very old article stating that the area called the Tallahassee hills between the Ochlockonee and Aucilla rivers was a fertile area.

This article promoting what they call the "Florida Heartland" Desoto Glades Hardee Hendry and Highlands counties makes the intriguing claims that :

"The area around the Kissimmee Valley and Lake Okeechobee have some of the richest soils
with the best access to water that can be found anywhere on the planet."
Investment Profile: Florida's Heartland: Fertile Fields | Site Selection Online

Last edited by vanguardisle; 06-18-2014 at 12:53 PM..

Old 06-18-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmmenn2014 View Post
I totally agree It is way easier to add Humus to the sandy soil than to modify clay.

Just stay away from coastal areas where salt or Brackish water may have flooded over the land. Salt infusioned soil is hard to correct.

You may ask this question on the Florida page as the individual area pages tend to be more specific.

Use Google Earth and look at the state for garden and farm areas Orchards etc.

Hot,wet, damp = good conditions for making compost Long growing season = lot of things to compost
Does that mean all coastal areas are bad for gardening? I read a long time ago someone claiming that adding ocean water to his plants helped them to grow . I don't remember what kind of plants he was growing though.

How do you keep your plants from wilting in the humid summer?

Last edited by vanguardisle; 06-18-2014 at 01:13 PM..

Old 05-22-2017, 12:36 PM

1 posts, read 5,500 times
I am looking for the same thing. It is very hard for plants to survive in hot summer. But you can look for property with big trees to form shade in summer for protection. Let me know what location is your final pick. I am thinking to move to Florida too and looking for a good piece land and climate for garden. Any inputs will be appreciated. Thanks

Old 05-22-2017, 12:43 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,093,145 times
Just so ya know, this thread is almost three years old.

Old 08-01-2019, 09:01 PM

1 posts, read 3,890 times
Hello,did you ever find that Florida perfect place to live and garden?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden