U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 05:25 AM

15,912 posts, read 12,707,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Yes, I would like both sides blocked. Which is making the selection difficult.

Thanks for your assistance.
Do you have Pinterest? They offer many pictures of how to hide a chain link fence: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/304696731035887498/ Some of those ideas are very creative and you will not have to wait a decade as you watch them grow. You can log into Pinterest with your Google or Facebook access.

Last edited by fisheye; 08-06-2019 at 06:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2019, 06:06 AM

1,934 posts, read 629,252 times
Quote:
Other side is a neighbor. Would like the shrub to block their view of the fence also.

Thanks for your opinions, Zoisite!
People are funny about their neighbor's shrub or tree branches crossing into their territory. Your neighbor would have the legal right to cut all the branches off his side of your fence which would effective kill your shrubs.

Picking which shrub/vine/etc for their side of your fence is like picking out the color of their house. It is very personal decision which will not be appreciated by them.

Plant what you like on your side and your neighbor (and all the neighbors who live there after he sells) can make their own decisions.

Old 08-06-2019, 06:21 AM

2,398 posts, read 5,250,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
People are funny about their neighbor's shrub or tree branches crossing into their territory. Your neighbor would have the legal right to cut all the branches off his side of your fence which would effective kill your shrubs.

Picking which shrub/vine/etc for their side of your fence is like picking out the color of their house. It is very personal decision which will not be appreciated by them.

Plant what you like on your side and your neighbor (and all the neighbors who live there after he sells) can make their own decisions.
This neighbor would definitely like it.

I'm thinking the emerald green arborviate is the best bet. I have one in front of my house, and I always have to clip the back. So it looks as if the leaves would go through the holes of the chain link fence.

Thanks again, YG! Oh I pass through Yortktown on the bike path.

Old 08-06-2019, 11:00 AM

2,602 posts, read 1,866,123 times
How about grapevine?

Old 08-06-2019, 02:05 PM

8,666 posts, read 7,418,792 times
Quote:

This neighbor would definitely like it......

The point that I was trying to make, and that I think YorktownGal was trying to make - and which you seem to be deflecting away from - was .... How do you know? Have you already discussed this project of yours with your neighbour and has your neighbor told you that plants growing through the fence to his side is what he wants? Has your neighbour expressed his approval and desire for you to grow plants that will be encroaching upon his own space and property? And has he agreed that it will be okay for you to go onto his property to do the necessary mainentance that will need to be done on his side of the fence, no matter what kind of plants/trees you grow there? Is that what your neighbour wants and has told you, and has your neighbour indicated a preference for any particular types of plants he would like to see growing on his side of the fence?

See, as Yorktown Gal mentioned, if your neighbour doesn't want it he will be within his rights to deface or destroy anything that encroaches on his side of the fence, which in turn might kill what ever you have planted. Especially if he uses some kind of poison on the vegetation that grows through the fence.

Old 08-06-2019, 03:31 PM

842 posts, read 347,537 times
I have replaced chain link fence that trees and vines grew through and made enormous holes and deformed the fence. It cost lots of money to cut the pest trees down and re-install new fence.

I strongly say DO NOT PLANT VINES. They will damage the fence and they will not grow neatly into a wall of greenery. Vines seek the light and will grow at the top of the fence until they find something higher to grow on.

I also suggest not planting too closely to the fence on your side. If you want to plant on the other side of the fence you need to consult with your neighbor because it will likely be on her property. My plantings consisted of a lot of different native bushes and trees that are good for wildlife like birds, bees and butterflies, some friendly snakes too.

Personally I think choosing one kind of thing to plant for a hedge is boring. And if one or more dies then it sticks out like a sore thumb. I love a mixed hedge. I sold the property where I replaced the fence after 3 years and the hedge was 6' tall and the buyer said she especially liked how many butterflies she saw in the back yard. I drove by last week and the hedge is 9' tall.

I'm in Florida where things grow fast and my plants are different than 6B. But natives are always a good thing to plant because they need little attention after the first year and they improve your environment. I like to add in some fruit/nut trees whenever they aren't dropping their goods on the car or house, way at the back in other words. Clumping bamboo is great too if you buy from a reputable nursery who doesn't sell running bamboo. Bamboo grows in every latitude.

Old 08-06-2019, 03:49 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,165,663 times
I put up a chain link fence 4 years ago and planned on doing the vine-cover thing. I finally decided there was no good answer. So I went this route: https://www.fencescreen.com/

The screen I chose for my 100' section cost a hunderd bucks, and is still looking good.

Old 08-06-2019, 06:05 PM

8,666 posts, read 7,418,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
I put up a chain link fence 4 years ago and planned on doing the vine-cover thing. I finally decided there was no good answer. So I went this route: https://www.fencescreen.com/

The screen I chose for my 100' section cost a hunderd bucks, and is still looking good.

Several of my neighbours have put the bottom locking slats on their chain link fences, some have screens up instead. They're durable and look nice, and still allow for air circulation through the fences.

Old 08-06-2019, 06:29 PM

15,912 posts, read 12,707,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Several of my neighbours have put the bottom locking slats on their chain link fences, some have screens up instead. They're durable and look nice, and still allow for air circulation through the fences.
There are many, many, options available on the Pinterest site that I posted at the top of this page.

The only worry I would have with the vinyl coverings is in areas known for hurricanes and lots of tornadoes. I would worry about increasing the wind resistance and loosing the fence.

Old 08-06-2019, 06:43 PM

2,273 posts, read 1,061,863 times
My backyard neighbor installed a standard (not black) chain link fence. I have a row of deciduous bushes/hedge on my side that I planted. These are smaller lots, 1/3 acre. In the winter, with leaves gone from bushes and white snow on the ground I really don't notice fence, except where there are no bushes in front. Just the leafless bushes branches are enough to camouflage the fence, again it's a plain silver chain link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden