Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 12:50 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,777,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
This discussion is specific to Westchester County, NY.

Euonymus alatus (Burning Bush) is prohibited in Westchester County, NY.

Wintercreeper is regulated in Westchester County.

From the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation

"What is the difference between prohibited and regulated invasive species?

Prohibited invasive species cannot be knowingly possessed with the intent to sell, import, purchase,
transport or introduce. In addition, no person shall sell, import, purchase, transport, introduce or
propagate prohibited invasive species.

Regulated invasive species, on the other hand, are species which cannot be knowingly introduced into a free-living state, or introduced by a means that one should have known would lead to such an introduction, although such species shall be legal to possess, sell, buy, propagate and transport.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/lands_fo...tedplants2.pdf
Look again, this discussion is in the Gardening forum, not limited to any specific geographical location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2019, 03:01 PM

7,190 posts, read 4,002,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Look again, this discussion is in the Gardening forum, not limited to any specific geographical location.
Wow, why not give someone in Westchester county, NY plants suggestions which thrive in Iceland? Or what about plants selections that thrive in Brazil or Indonesia?

All plants are geographical sensitive.

Old 08-08-2019, 06:23 PM

6,060 posts, read 4,416,547 times
Just curious, though it's a bit OT: why put up the fence just to hide it? Why not just use hedges to begin with?

I would plant some soft evergreen on each side because you'd be surprised what will grow right into the fence, as stated multiple times above. I have damage to my fence from trying to remove a ROOT that grew around the bottom of the fence.

Old 08-08-2019, 08:39 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,231,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Just curious, though it's a bit OT: why put up the fence just to hide it? Why not just use hedges to begin with?

I would plant some soft evergreen on each side because you'd be surprised what will grow right into the fence, as stated multiple times above. I have damage to my fence from trying to remove a ROOT that grew around the bottom of the fence.

Are you thinking of a certain type of arborvatie?

Old 08-08-2019, 08:41 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,231,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
For Manhattan euonymous:

"Foliage is evergreen in warm winter climates, but semi-evergreen to deciduous in cold winter climates (USDA Zones 5 and 6) where leaves may turn yellow or leaves may drop or plants may die back to the ground."

Euonymus kiautschovicus 'Manhattan' - Plant Finder

1) It produces fruit which is nice.

2) It isn't poisonous, another plus.

3) It isn't invasion like Euonymus alatus, the burning bush, which is now banned. Finally.

https://www.lohud.com/story/news/201...ants/24694675/

If you don't mind risking a die back every couple of years, it's fine. We had one October snowstorm that was a shock to many plants. Thankfully, it doesn't happen too often.

Forget Winter Creeper, it's invasive. https://www.invasiveplantatlas.org/s....html?sub=3024

On top of that winter creeper is heavy which will destroy your fence fast.
Does a dieback mean death, or does it mean it will come back? Are you talking about heavy wet snow. Because that can happen anytime during the winter.

The nice thing about arborvitae is that they it bend to the ground with heavy snow, but not snap.

Old 08-08-2019, 08:53 PM

7,190 posts, read 4,002,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Does a dieback mean death, or does it mean it will come back? Are you talking about heavy wet snow. Because that can happen anytime during the winter.

The nice thing about arborvitae is that they it bend to the ground with heavy snow, but not snap.
Dieback means the plant dies back from the leaves, but the roots survive. Usually, it does come back.

It could be anything - a sudden cold snap in fall or spring, deep freeze like an Arctic Blast, or a wet snow.

Old 08-08-2019, 11:02 PM

6,060 posts, read 4,416,547 times
Quote:
Are you thinking of a certain type of arborvatie?
Yes, but I'm going to suggest bamboo instead.

Old 08-09-2019, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post

Why give legal advice that may be pertinent to only a tiny fraction of the readers here? Making blanket claims that a certain plant is banned as if that was a universal truth is simply wrong. The OP's location has not been discussed.

Old 08-09-2019, 01:34 AM

14,685 posts, read 14,815,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Why give legal advice that may be pertinent to only a tiny fraction of the readers here? Making blanket claims that a certain plant is banned as if that was a universal truth is simply wrong. The OP's location has not been discussed.

Kokonutty I think since you came in late to the conversation you might have skipped over it but OP's location actually was discussed earlier on in the conversation, these are her posts about her location:

Quote:

I live just north of NYC, so I believe it is 6B ......

Quote:

I'm in Eastchester, which believe it or not might be in a different zone than Yorktown! .....

Old 08-09-2019, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Kokonutty I think since you came in late to the conversation you might have skipped over it but OP's location actually was discussed earlier on in the conversation, these are her posts about her location:

I did not zero in on the location as it is not in the OP's profile but did see the zone references which have nothing to do with political boundaries. Nonetheless this is an open forum so any reference to laws and other governmental regulations should reference those particulars rather than simply be stated quite generally or universally. Readers are concerned with a much wider scope than a single poster's situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden