Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2019, 12:45 PM

892 posts, read 483,614 times

Advertisements

I have these type of succulent plants, and only the last one appears this way, even with the same watering care. Could it be the type of soil/a need to amend the soil?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 01:37 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,006,450 times
With jade plants (crassula argentea) wrinkling leaves usually means under-watering and drooping leaves usually means over-watering and possible root-rot as a result. It's also possible that this one plant is a stunted dud with an inefficient vascular system (it happens sometimes) - or - it might have gotten a virus or fungal disease that has effected the plant's vascular system.

To start with I'd try giving it a bit more water and see if the wrinkles disappear and the leaves plump out. If they plump out then you can figure it just wasn't getting enough water for that particular plant. If they don't plump out and leaves continue to droop then to rule out root-rot I'd take that one plant out of the soil, rinse the soil off the roots and inspect the bare roots to look for root rot. If there's no root rot apparent then replant it in a different pot in all new medium designed specifically for succulents. Water it in very well to re-set the roots firmly in the soil and wait to see if there's a visual improvement in the overall condition of the plant within a week to ten days. If it improves then resume treating it the same way you treat all the other healthier jade plants.

Just to be on the safe side, after re-potting it I'd isolate it for the time being from any other plants in the event that it might have some kind of contagious virus/fungus and may not be a problem with the roots. If there is no improvement and the leaves continue to wrinkle or droop and deteriorate after 2 weeks from being re-potted I'd get rid of the plant.

Old 08-14-2019, 09:21 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,092,947 times
Agree with all the ^ but will add 2 points. If they are in direct sunlight say in front of a glass window and that particular one is closest to the window it might just be a case of the glass magnifying the heat and essentially dehydrating that one plant. Or are you sure when you water that you do it evenly and all plants are getting water?

Old 08-14-2019, 10:41 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,733,041 times
Yup, zoisite's advice is right on.

If you find that it's an over-watering problem, and you have to repot, I'd suggest cutting the plant into several pieces, and rooting those, as insurance. Smaller pieces will often reroot/recover faster than an entire plant.

Old 08-14-2019, 02:01 PM

excellent feedback; any specific medium you'd recommend for succulents?

Old 08-14-2019, 02:39 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,733,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezku View Post
excellent feedback; any specific medium you'd recommend for succulents?
I generally use regular houseplant potting soil, with some extra vermiculite or perlite or houseplant gravel mixed in (you can usually buy one or another of them at the same place where you buy the potting soil) - about 10-20% (exact number not crucial) of the total mass of soil.

I don't like using sand in potting soil - it seems to migrate toward the bottom of the pot instead of staying mixed more or less evenly throughout the pot.

Old 08-15-2019, 11:52 AM

Thanks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden