Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2019, 10:47 AM

14,685 posts, read 14,815,770 times

Advertisements

We had late spring and summer weather this year, delayed by nearly 6 weeks, so most of the summer annuals I have in there had to be put in a good month later than usual and they are still going strong now. Several of the perennials that were already in the beds were very late blooming this year, some are just starting to bloom now when they should have started over a month or more ago.

Every year I try to put a few extra different perennials in the beds so a couple of weeks ago I put in two small red penstemon shrubs and several pineapple sage plants. The pineapple sage is supposed to start blooming in September and be good for flowering until the end of November for my zone. That will be good for the hummingbirds that will still be hanging around in autumn since the Anna's hummers here don't migrate south for winter, they stay put here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2019, 10:49 AM

23,118 posts, read 28,853,735 times
I planted an Italian Cypress and a Hopseed Bush in the back of my house, 3 months ago, to help shade my bedroom from the hot East sun, and neither have grown one iota. The Hopseed Bush was suppose to be a fast grower to 15 feet. What did I do wrong?

Having lost patience, I gave both away to a neighbor, and planted 4 Common Oleanders and a Crept Myrtle. I researched as to what was the fastest growing bush you can plant, and it all pointed to Oleanders, which can grow to a height of 20 feet. I don't even like Oleanders, but shade for my bedroom is paramount.

And I do know once you plant an Oleander there ain't no way in hell you'll ever be able to remove it. It's permanent! I read that they've found Oleander roots 3 blocks away from the plant, a very aggressive plant. But at least I'll have red and white flowers most of the year and my shade. I also replaced a plant with a Bird of Paradise. I wasn't going to put one in as there's so many of them in my community and all over Tucson, but I caved in because I saw my neighbor's Bird of Paradise crawling with beautiful butterflies. I did it for the butterflies!

Old 08-18-2019, 12:04 PM

83,348 posts, read 74,736,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I miss spring bulbs so much. Here in GA the winter is not long/cold enough, I guess. No bulb I’ve planted has ever been seen again.
Interesting. Have you tried putting them in the freezer over winter?

Old 08-18-2019, 12:11 PM

32,528 posts, read 47,597,720 times
I'm still taking out weeds. The weeds think I am a wonderful caretaker and they thrive under teh conditions I provide..

I've put in hundreds of irises this year and won't know which ones until they bloom next year. I won't get rid of any of them, but maybe some will have to be shuffled around. My yellow iris will live anywhere under any conditions and when I figure out which ones they are, I want to move a bunch of them along my driveway.

Last fall I bought 4 knock-out roses for really cheap off of the fall clearance bench. I will buy some more if I see some, but I am hoping they do better as they get established, My bank has many beds full of knockouts and they have been non-stop flowers all year. Mine bloomed nicely and only one of the pinks is just now putting on a second set of buds. The other three had nice flowers for a little bit and then nothing since. I am hoping it is a maturity issue.

Old 08-18-2019, 01:11 PM

50,096 posts, read 63,480,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Interesting. Have you tried putting them in the freezer over winter?
I’m not willing to dig them up every year.

Old 08-18-2019, 01:13 PM

50,096 posts, read 63,480,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I'm still taking out weeds. The weeds think I am a wonderful caretaker and they thrive under teh conditions I provide..

I've put in hundreds of irises this year and won't know which ones until they bloom next year. I won't get rid of any of them, but maybe some will have to be shuffled around. My yellow iris will live anywhere under any conditions and when I figure out which ones they are, I want to move a bunch of them along my driveway.

Last fall I bought 4 knock-out roses for really cheap off of the fall clearance bench. I will buy some more if I see some, but I am hoping they do better as they get established, My bank has many beds full of knockouts and they have been non-stop flowers all year. Mine bloomed nicely and only one of the pinks is just now putting on a second set of buds. The other three had nice flowers for a little bit and then nothing since. I am hoping it is a maturity issue.
I had a brief love affair with knockouts. They were gorgeous for a few years, then one by one they up and died. No more for me.

Old 08-18-2019, 02:43 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,684,502 times
The pigmy palms and cactus, I’m replacing them with roses. One Crape Myrtle also is going to be removed.

Old 08-18-2019, 04:20 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,954,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I planted an Italian Cypress and a Hopseed Bush in the back of my house, 3 months ago, to help shade my bedroom from the hot East sun, and neither have grown one iota. The Hopseed Bush was suppose to be a fast grower to 15 feet. What did I do wrong?

Having lost patience, I gave both away to a neighbor, !

It takes longer than 3 months for many plants to even get established. Annuals can grow that quickly, but perennials take longer.

Old 08-18-2019, 05:12 PM

4,844 posts, read 3,616,456 times
Rose bushes. Sick of messing with them and they have been terribly plagued with black spot and rosetta disease. I need something that I will not have to mess with.

In January I'll remove the annuals and trim back Crape Myrtle tree and bushes and also the Texas lilacs.

Next year it will be periwinkles and four o'clocks in the flower beds.

Tired of dealing with roses.

Old 08-18-2019, 11:44 PM

23,118 posts, read 28,853,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
It takes longer than 3 months for many plants to even get established. Annuals can grow that quickly, but perennials take longer.
I have over 40 plants/flowers/bushes in my yard, and the neighbor I gave those plants to said: It's summer time, that's why they aren't growing!

Really? My 3 cassia's, my Justicia, my red fairy dusters, my Rio Bravo sage, my Cape Honeysuckles are growing like crazy, all planted in the Spring.

As to be expected, my Oleanders are already showing growth in less than a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden