U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 11:52 AM

3,780 posts, read 1,639,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
Rose bushes. Sick of messing with them and they have been terribly plagued with black spot and rosetta disease. I need something that I will not have to mess with.

In January I'll remove the annuals and trim back Crape Myrtle tree and bushes and also the Texas lilacs.

Next year it will be periwinkles and four o'clocks in the flower beds.

Tired of dealing with roses.
Tell me about crape myrtle as a bush. I'm sure I have one, but have been told to train it upwards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 11:55 AM

3,780 posts, read 1,639,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
Former owners here apparently loved orange and hated maintenance. So they loaded up the place with the common orange daylilies and with tiger lilies (! ). I never want to have an orange (or anything approaching orange) flower here again, LOL

You wouldn't believe what else they deliberately planted here as well. They could have opened up a nursery and called it "Invasives R Us".
Same problem here, but with yellow. I've dug up at least 200 different kinds of daffodils (and found them homes), yellow lilies, yellow gladioli, yellow irises, and still more to go. I'm trying to move anything non-yellow I find since all these bulbs are just stuck in between everything else. Including your orange tiger lilies, I had billions of them, and still have a few.

Old 08-19-2019, 02:17 PM

2,382 posts, read 867,935 times
The tiger lilies take forever to totally get rid of, because even the little ones that are 6 inches high make those black bulbils all along the stem, and they drop into the soil sooo easily and in such quantity.

I actually don't mind yellow dayliliesif they have no hint of orange. I do want to have daylilies again here but there aren't that many that don't have some orangey-peachy cast regardless of color. For example I have yet to see a TRUE pink without any trace of peach/melon/salmon/etc.

I'm working on a white-flowers planting and found Mike Huben's white daylily selections. The one I really wanted ('White and Nerdy') was already sold out at $70 each (ouch!) before I found them. Probably a good thing for my wallet.

Old 08-19-2019, 04:25 PM

10,146 posts, read 19,533,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
Former owners here apparently loved orange and hated maintenance. So they loaded up the place with the common orange daylilies and with tiger lilies (! ). I never want to have an orange (or anything approaching orange) flower here again, LOL

You wouldn't believe what else they deliberately planted here as well. They could have opened up a nursery and called it "Invasives R Us".

Hey! I think they lived here at some point, too! There's quite a few invasives that just won't quit around here. They at least aren't all orange, though.

Growing zone 11b, I think, or somewhere around there anyway. I'm currently planting new lettuce, watermelons and a short gardenia hedge. There's a big plant sale in Hilo next week, hopefully someone will have a cinnamon gardenia. My friend has one at his house and it smells wonderful. If there's not one at the plant sale, then perhaps some cuttings from his would work.

Old 08-19-2019, 05:29 PM

8,077 posts, read 4,302,684 times
I'm planting more chard seeds for fall/winter crop. Pruning & deadheading flowers, saving some seeds for next year.

Old 08-19-2019, 06:13 PM

337 posts, read 115,353 times
Out with the Gerbara daisies, in with the mums!

Old 08-20-2019, 11:02 AM

3,866 posts, read 2,079,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Tell me about crape myrtle as a bush. I'm sure I have one, but have been told to train it upwards.
We have one large crape myrtle tree I keep medium sized. They do well with trimming, so you have to control them - that they don't get giant. It is about the same size now as when we put it in three years ago.

The crape myrtle bushes are a bit more fluffy than last year. I let them bloom off and then trim them back for conformity. These plants can be tailored to bushes or trimmed to trees.

Old 08-28-2019, 07:16 AM

38,629 posts, read 47,524,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Crape Myrtle come in different sizes. Look for a variety that stays relatively small, like under 6’, and don’t trim off the side shoots. Voila...a nice bush.

Old 08-28-2019, 07:21 AM

I just saw some giant liriope planted in a public square. I did not know there was such a thing. They were about 24” tall and the flower spikes were taller. They were very striking looking.
Yesterday, I was browsing my favorite online nursery and they were selling them. They are quite pricey (6 for $99.) but if they spread as easily as their smaller counterparts, it might be worth it.

Old 08-31-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldPuss View Post
Out with the Gerbara daisies, in with the mums!
Here in zone 8, the gerberas flower all winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or