Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2019, 10:57 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times

Advertisements

Here in the south, fall is very far away. I have changed out some tired spent plants with fresh ones in my planters, and I’m expecting a fig tree to fill an empty spot. The gardens are hanging in, waiting for some cool days.
This week, some much needed rain is expected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2019, 11:53 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,977,890 times
Every fall, all plants in my garden are judged. I'm in the process of moving poor performers to the back bed. If they don't bloom back there next year, they'll be moved to the compost pile eventually. I'm replacing the poor performers with asters for now.

Old 08-17-2019, 12:06 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,048,919 times
I'm in the midst of a garden renovation so most of the beds have been stripped down to bare dirt since late spring. The former owners planted a lot of stuff that was either invasive or that I just plain dislike. Replanting will be a longterm project spanning multiple years, LOL

Two individual removals this fall (next week actually) are a large crape myrtle that was originally planted in the wrong spot (east facing and very poor air circulation) and so has been plagued with mildew. It also has to be cut back every year to keep it from hitting a roof overhang. I'm sick of dealing with it so out it goes at last. Also three spiraeas because I hate the way spiraeas seed themselves around; I've got enough work without dealing with that too. Oh, and one final berberis. I loathe those things.

One thing is getting moved: a spring-flowering camellia that was originally in an east facing exposure but had to be relocated last year due to exterior renovations. I stupidly put it in a spot that gets sun most of the day and it's not happy. Truth be told, I don't like the plant much because it has red flowers which is not really my thing, but it's 6 ft tall and I'm reluctant to just chuck it out. So it's getting moved to a spot that only gets direct sun in the late afternoon. Probably better for the flower buds anyway during late winter/early spring, and the red won't be as conspicuous as it was/is when it does bloom.

New shrubs this fall: Cephalotaxus harringtoniana Fastigiata, Cotinus 'Golden Spirit', Chionanthus 'Tokyo Tower', and two dwarf pines (Mini Twists and Soft Touch.) I am seriously contemplating adding an osmanthus; had one in my previous garden and the fragrance was divine.

Old 08-17-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
I'm in the midst of a garden renovation so most of the beds have been stripped down to bare dirt since late spring. The former owners planted a lot of stuff that was either invasive or that I just plain dislike. Replanting will be a longterm project spanning multiple years, LOL

Two individual removals this fall (next week actually) are a large crape myrtle that was originally planted in the wrong spot (east facing and very poor air circulation) and so has been plagued with mildew. It also has to be cut back every year to keep it from hitting a roof overhang. I'm sick of dealing with it so out it goes at last. Also three spiraeas because I hate the way spiraeas seed themselves around; I've got enough work without dealing with that too. Oh, and one final berberis. I loathe those things.

One thing is getting moved: a spring-flowering camellia that was originally in an east facing exposure but had to be relocated last year due to exterior renovations. I stupidly put it in a spot that gets sun most of the day and it's not happy. Truth be told, I don't like the plant much because it has red flowers which is not really my thing, but it's 6 ft tall and I'm reluctant to just chuck it out. So it's getting moved to a spot that only gets direct sun in the late afternoon. Probably better for the flower buds anyway during late winter/early spring, and the red won't be as conspicuous as it was/is when it does bloom.

New shrubs this fall: Cephalotaxus harringtoniana Fastigiata, Cotinus 'Golden Spirit', Chionanthus 'Tokyo Tower', and two dwarf pines (Mini Twists and Soft Touch.) I am seriously contemplating adding an osmanthus; had one in my previous garden and the fragrance was divine.
There’s an orange osmanthus that I’m thinking of getting.

https://www.wilsonbrosgardens.com/Fr...-1-Gallon.html

Old 08-17-2019, 01:25 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times
Way too many Iris. Trying to move them to another spot but some will have to be discarded. Lady in this house before me loved Iris. Me, not so much. And they are mostly the generic purple kind.

And, am waiting to plant a peach tree into the ground in October. In a pot now. Thought it was a dwarf. Definitely not.

Am slowly pulling out the annuals that have faded. All back breaking work in the hot sun. Yuk.

Old 08-17-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
There’s an orange osmanthus that I’m thinking of getting.

https://www.wilsonbrosgardens.com/Fr...-1-Gallon.html

Ah, the perks of living in Zone 9! I'm envious in that respect (though I'd never survive your summers myself.)

I'm in NY so it's Osmanthus heterophyllus and its offspring for me. I'm looking at the one cultivar whose leaves don't try to stab you to death at every turn, LOL

Old 08-17-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Way too many Iris. Trying to move them to another spot but some will have to be discarded. Lady in this house before me loved Iris. Me, not so much. And they are mostly the generic purple kind.

Former owners here apparently loved orange and hated maintenance. So they loaded up the place with the common orange daylilies and with tiger lilies (! ). I never want to have an orange (or anything approaching orange) flower here again, LOL

You wouldn't believe what else they deliberately planted here as well. They could have opened up a nursery and called it "Invasives R Us".

Old 08-17-2019, 01:47 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,977,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post

And, am waiting to plant a peach tree into the ground in October. In a pot now. Thought it was a dwarf. Definitely not.

Am slowly pulling out the annuals that have faded. All back breaking work in the hot sun. Yuk.

Give them away instead, lots of people love those.

Old 08-17-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
Former owners here apparently loved orange and hated maintenance. So they loaded up the place with the common orange daylilies and with tiger lilies (! ). I never want to have an orange (or anything approaching orange) flower here again, LOL

You wouldn't believe what else they deliberately planted here as well. They could have opened up a nursery and called it "Invasives R Us".
I actually love orange flowers, but here in the hot south, everything seems to revert to yellow. I chose a nice variety of color for a bed of daylilies on the south side of my house. They do very well, but the yellow ones have taken over. They are beautiful, but an assortment was what I was going for.

Old 08-17-2019, 03:14 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
when my zinnias finish out I wont plant anything for fall . I usually dont since nothing really grows here in the fall .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden