Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 02:08 PM

6,361 posts, read 4,184,849 times

Advertisements

Could someone identify the type of tree this is? There are several planted in an island that leads into our neighborhood and one person thinks they might be Little leaf Lindens but to me the leaves appear to be different. Thanks

Last edited by Rickcin; 02-14-2021 at 08:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2019, 02:35 PM

1,625 posts, read 1,356,056 times
Ornamental Pear

Old 08-22-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlecat View Post
Ornamental Pear
The Bradford Pear looks like a match so you might’ve nailed it!

Old 08-22-2019, 04:27 PM

Ornamental Pears have been overplanted for decades, especially cultivars like Bradford and Cleveland. They have escaped into the wild and are naturalized in many parts of the country.

That being said, they tend to be fairly nice, if short-lived, trees. They have nice white flowers in spring, the summer foliage is neat and clean, and they have a variation of burgandy to purplish fall coloring.

The main problem with them is that the branch angles are too acute, so as the tree gets larger and larger, limbs get heavier and heavier and will tear and fall off in wind/ice/snow storms.

Old 08-22-2019, 06:32 PM

32,934 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Ornamental Pears have been overplanted for decades, especially cultivars like Bradford and Cleveland. They have escaped into the wild and are naturalized in many parts of the country. ...
I helped, too! I planted three Bradford at a house where I lived in the 1980s.

Old 08-22-2019, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Ornamental Pears have been overplanted for decades, especially cultivars like Bradford and Cleveland. They have escaped into the wild and are naturalized in many parts of the country.

That being said, they tend to be fairly nice, if short-lived, trees. They have nice white flowers in spring, the summer foliage is neat and clean, and they have a variation of burgandy to purplish fall coloring.

The main problem with them is that the branch angles are too acute, so as the tree gets larger and larger, limbs get heavier and heavier and will tear and fall off in wind/ice/snow storms.
Very true and excellent explanation since I have seen many Bradford Pears that have been destroyed by wind and rain storms. In fact my neighbors driveway was framed by two beautiful BP’s until a wind storm demolished some main branches on each one and both had to be tamed down. I’ve seen it happen several times in the last three years. I believe the Cleveland Pears are much more durable.

Old 08-23-2019, 10:30 AM

6,149 posts, read 4,514,052 times
The Bradfords are brittle, too. My neighbor had the most amazing one, way taller than her two story house and the white blossoms in spring - it was like a giant snowball. When the blooms went, they sifted down to earth like snowflakes and it was just so nice even to be next door to it. Then one morning she woke up to find a big hunk on the ground. Two months later half the tree cleaved off, like those iceberg pictures and the tree guy told her it was all going to go, piece by piece, so it should come down. So sad.

Old 08-23-2019, 10:48 AM

Yep, that is how they go. They may last 15 to 20 years, but that's it.

My neighbor had one too close to his house. It got really big over about 15 years. Then a storm came through and a huge limb peeled off, hit their roof then slid off, taking the gutters with it.

Another neighbor had one on the tree belt next to the street. He parked his car under it every day for years. Then one night a storm came through, and you can guess what happened. Totalled car, and the tree had to be cut down.

Old 08-23-2019, 10:55 AM

Yes, and if you google, Trees never to plant in your yard the Bradford Pear is always on that list!

Old 08-29-2019, 02:41 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
interesting article on the Bradford/callery pear. they're all over creation here in Maryland near DC - according to this article, they were originally developed here, so that's not surprising.

Scientists thought they had created the perfect tree. But it became a nightmare
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden