Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2019, 11:11 AM

2,528 posts, read 2,777,621 times

Advertisements

There are weed seed-free pelleted horse feeds out there. Many wilderness areas require that they be used for pack trips and other wilderness-type horse/mule adventures. I never was into that part of the horse business but I had friends who were. They had to carry bagged weed free pellets for their horses on their treks. Some of them weren't too happy about that. So if you can find someone who feeds those pellets you might be able to dodge the weed seed bullet. But the manure still needs to be composted until the hotness has dissipated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2019, 02:21 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
Perhaps your friend could get the tiller and the manure and then bag and sell the manure to pay for the cost of the tiller?

Old 08-24-2019, 09:39 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,912,177 times
Great idea, hotzcatz. I'm wondering if she should sell just the manure and give away the tiller with the manure purchase at the rate she's going with responses.

Old 08-24-2019, 11:04 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,314,963 times
1. My manure pile was THE place to find fishing worms.

2. I fed black oil sunflower seeds and found an occasional flower growing from a pile in the yard. I always enjoyed presenting the flower to someone letting them know it came from my horse's butt.

Old 08-25-2019, 07:29 AM

83,511 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
What do you think about horse manure for plants and flowers? I know a woman who is trying to sell her tiller and added in 2 truckloads of free 6 year old horse manure as an incentive. I have a friend who wants to check out the tiller but doesn't want the horse manure at this time.

I been using it for many years. Take it.

What I do though is mix it with my compost pile in the spring then spread it out in the fall. Make sure its aged before you spread it and till it into the soil, no need to mix soil with it before hand, as long as you till it in and not throw it on top and be done.

I use it for trees and in veggie garden but I till it in.
Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Went to a local horse farm today and got some aged Manure.

Thank You Horsey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Yup... Manure. lol

Old 08-25-2019, 07:32 AM

2,528 posts, read 2,777,621 times
I had a beautiful and productive zucchini plant arise from the pile. Best zucchini and I had no idea where it came from. I know I didn't feed the horses zucchini. Never thought of regaling anyone with the origin of the zucchini . . . that would have made for some interesting conversations at the dinner table!

Oh yes, worm heaven. I knew someone who raised fishing worms as a home-based business and used horse manure as a home for his worms. Worm castings make wonderful fertilizer too, by the way.

Old 08-25-2019, 07:34 AM

2,176 posts, read 1,323,543 times
Horse manure of our yesteryear is not the same as today.
The pastures are treated with all kinds of herbicides and pesticides - which was proven by research to survive a horse’s digestion and is in manure persistent for years. Even if your horse uses food pellets- still there!
Turning it in the sun may help to break herbicides down. The high rainfall helps too
Add the pesticide all horses are treated with( just check in any agricultural stores on the shelves) - I had to reconsider using the horse and any other manure...
So, don’t use it on edibles.
Even the owner of the horse has no way of knowing if there were herbicides and pesticides in the feed

https://extension.oregonstate.edu/he...rass-clippings

https://extension.oregonstate.edu/am...sidues-compost

Old 08-25-2019, 10:31 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,537,039 times
The one time I used fresh manure, I tilled it in my garden in late fall along with mulched leaves from my yard. The next spring and summer everything grew fine. No trouble at all.

Old 08-25-2019, 11:52 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,976,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
The one time I used fresh manure, I tilled it in my garden in late fall along with mulched leaves from my yard. The next spring and summer everything grew fine. No trouble at all.

It doesn't take long for manure to become aged and usable. Let it sit all winter, several months at least, and it should be good. Just don't plant in fresh manure.

Old 08-25-2019, 01:55 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,255,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
What do you think about horse manure for plants and flowers? I know a woman who is trying to sell her tiller and added in 2 truckloads of free 6 year old horse manure as an incentive. I have a friend who wants to check out the tiller but doesn't want the horse manure at this time.
I would jump on this deal. Depending on just how much two truckloads of manure is, you could easily sell some of it to pay for the tiller and still have plenty left for yourself. Aged, well composted horse manure is hard to beat as a soil amendment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden