Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2020, 04:44 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,795,399 times

Advertisements

I cant believe I actually read this whole thing...... And now I have to go weed-whack an entire acre......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2020, 06:16 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 23 hours ago)

35,579 posts, read 17,923,325 times
I posted earlier in this thread, but seeing it pop to the surface again I have another story.

Last spring I bought a bunch of quart size begonia plants to give away at an event as thank yous to various people. I accidentally bought one too many, and brought that one home. They were all white begonias, which is an interesting and elegant looking plant.

So anyway. I was irritated that I had overspent and bought an unwanted extra (by only about $5, but still) and I stuck the thing out on my back patio with a variety of herbs and other plants. I didn't pay much attention to it at all - occasionally, if I was watering my herbs or other plants I loved and I had extra water in the watering pitcher I'd splash a little on this begonia. All summer long, it bloomed its little heart out. With virtually no care. Every time I looked at it, there it was, still in full glorious bloom.

So last week we had a rare freeze here - didn't expect it as it wasn't really predicted. When the sleet was coming down, I ran out there onto the patio to get my big beautiful Mother In Laws Tongue, (which is extremely sensitive to freeze) and this sweet begonia that was STILL IN BLOOM. In February, for heaven's sake.

I brought it in, along with the other plant.

And I'm going to repot it into a pretty pot, and fertilize it, and take care of it from here out. Because, yeah.

Old 02-10-2020, 09:48 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,006,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody01 View Post
but they have a guarantee....!

lol !! :d

Old 02-11-2020, 02:31 AM

23,206 posts, read 29,014,764 times
It was raining off and on today, but I managed to get the whole dug for my Jasmine plant and hopefully it will be in its new home tomorrow. And if it doesn't survive the transplant, then I did my best and all guilt will disappear.

Thanks for all of you who supported me in my "madness".

I told my neighbor what I had done and she said: Oh, you have such a big heart!

Old 02-15-2020, 07:14 AM

50,329 posts, read 63,895,871 times
Strangely, I have no regard for straggly houseplants....out they go. But I love rescuing perennials off the clearance cart at Lowe’s. Most of the time, they have just bloomed and only need a bit of love. I was always told to choose perennials for their foliage, and the flowers are just a bonus, so that’s what I do.

I MUST get a few day lilies split this weekend before they start growing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden