Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2019, 07:35 PM

1,056 posts, read 724,360 times

Advertisements

I know they will grow in Memphis, but they don't see nightly frosts, and most years there don't dip below 10F. Most of Tennessee is somewhat cooler despite still being a true subtropical climate.

I've heard that the warmest parts of Tennessee (apart from Chattanooga and especially Memphis) are the "Gulf Coastal" Plain (west TN), the Central Basin (around Nashville/Murfreesboro) and the Sequatchie Valley (Pikeville, Dunlap, Jasper). Is it true that Southern Live Oak won't grow in even these three regions of Tennessee?

Oddly enough, the state champion is in Knoxville (last I've heard), which is in none of those three regions and not quite as warm as Chattanooga.

I've never seen one, and I don't think they'll grow here, but am I somehow mistaken? I find it shameful that they can't be grown around here, but I'd like to know whether they'll at least grow in the Central Basin, as they're evergreen and I'll be setting up my nursery there. Plus, their leaves aren't dark like the Southern Magnolias (which are still nice), and they get much bigger than the Needle Palm and Dwarf Palmetto (which are still preferable on the shrubs/small trees scale).

P.S.: I don't really care that much about whether the Spanish Moss will grow on them. It's the evergreen foliage and massive size I'm all about, and even if I could grow them, I think palms would be much nicer than vine-type plants and especially nicer than those deciduous bananas and Crepemyrtle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2019, 08:37 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
You’d need to find a Live Oak seed source from the northernmost part of its native range, which would be coastal VA and NC. Those are probably better adapted to colder temps than ones from Florida or Louisiana.

Live Oak seems to be evergreen since it holds its leaves during the winter, but they actually do shed their leaves during the spring, and for about two weeks they are bare. Instead of raking leaves in the fall, you have to rake leaves in the spring.

Old 09-14-2019, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
You’d need to find a Live Oak seed source from the northernmost part of its native range, which would be coastal VA and NC. Those are probably better adapted to colder temps than ones from Florida or Louisiana.

Live Oak seems to be evergreen since it holds its leaves during the winter, but they actually do shed their leaves during the spring, and for about two weeks they are bare. Instead of raking leaves in the fall, you have to rake leaves in the spring.
I know, but better in the spring when stuff is blooming than in autumn when most other things are going dormant! The only thing I know of to die in the spring around here is the pansy, which is a winter annual in subtropical regions (including here).

So does that mean they can grow in Tennessee, but only in those three "banana belts" and with seeds sourced from Virginia or Oklahoma? Yes, they are native to a few granite massifs in southwestern Oklahoma - a state which mostly has similar winters to Arkansas (excluding near the eastern and southern borders), Tennessee (excluding Memphis), Virginia (excluding the coast), southern Missouri, Maryland, Delaware and the coastal mid-Atlantic.

Old 09-15-2019, 05:10 PM

I've just found out about the Escarpment Live Oak/Texas Live Oak. It's hardy to USDA Zone 6a with minimal leaf burn. However, I'm not sure about the humidity here as well as the clay soil. Will the Escarpment Live Oak grow any better than Q. virginiana on Tennessean soils?

Old 09-15-2019, 07:50 PM

3,128 posts, read 2,253,831 times
I have two of them and the neighbors all have them. I’d like you to take em all away. I think they are far too messy.

Old 09-16-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
I have two of them and the neighbors all have them. I’d like you to take em all away. I think they are far too messy.
Southern or Escarpment?

Old 09-16-2019, 02:44 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
It’s not only the ability to withstand cold, but also the weight of snow and ice. Ice can build up on all of those leaves and cause the limbs to snap right off.

Old 09-16-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
It’s not only the ability to withstand cold, but also the weight of snow and ice. Ice can build up on all of those leaves and cause the limbs to snap right off.
Good point. I doubt that'd be a big problem here, though; any snow we have is generally very light and brief, and our winters are not only not continental but even a bit too warm for "transient snow cover" (except on the highest peaks of the Blue Ridge).

Old 09-24-2019, 07:46 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,211,978 times
It depends on which variety of live oak you’re referring to. I think that Texas live oak(Quercus Fusiformis) has a pretty good chance of being at least moderately reliable in most or all of Tennessee, but I don’t think that the coastal live oak(Quercus Virginiana) would grow very well in much of Tennessee outside the warmest zones; I’ve heard the coastal southern live oak is hardy to zone 7b at best, whereas the Texas variety of live oak can grow well through zone 6, just my two cents.

Old 09-24-2019, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
It depends on which variety of live oak you’re referring to. I think that Texas live oak(Quercus Fusiformis) has a pretty good chance of being at least moderately reliable in most or all of Tennessee, but I don’t think that the coastal live oak(Quercus Virginiana) would grow very well in much of Tennessee outside the warmest zones; I’ve heard the coastal southern live oak is hardy to zone 7b at best, whereas the Texas variety of live oak can grow well through zone 6, just my two cents.
Thanks! You're sure the Escarpment/Texas Live Oak will withstand our humidity? And clay soil?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden