Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2019, 09:42 AM

6,147 posts, read 4,508,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Would someone really have the nerve to sue for injuries that occurred while they were trespassing?
If they have the nerve to trespass in the first place, and try to pass it off as being neighborly, I don't see why not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
What I want to know is how get someone to pull the weeds turn all the planting beds.
$$$$
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2019, 11:24 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,047,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Would someone really have the nerve to sue for injuries that occurred while they were trespassing?
If they don't have health insurance (or have it but with a big deductible), or think they might somehow get away with a big "payday" at Corporate America's expense?

Yer darn tootin' they would, LOL

Doesn't mean they will win (they probably won't, unless the neighbor's lawyer claims that "the OP knew that my client was regularly cutting their lawn but took no physical steps to prevent it, i.e., they erected no barrier and posted no signs, and gave no written direction to not cut their lawn, thereby giving implied permission for my client to continue to enter their property") but people file frivolous lawsuits all the time.

Old 10-12-2019, 04:48 PM

13,242 posts, read 4,922,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
If they have the nerve to trespass in the first place, and try to pass it off as being neighborly, I don't see why not. ...
Perhaps you can phone someone from your homeowner's insurance company, explain the situation & the actions you've taken, & ask for their advice. It does not appear you want to hurt this neighbor in any way ~ you seem to be more interested in 'damage control' i.e. you just want her to stop mowing your lawn.

Personal injury laws differ from state to state however in some jurisdictions you would be liable if she is injured on your property despite the fact that she is trespassing.

It doesn't seem prudent to trust this neighbor, you may need to protect your own interests here.

Old 10-12-2019, 05:17 PM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,662,281 times
I disagree with the advice here saying tell her to stop mowing your lawn and invite her for coffee/lunch/shopping. Since she seems fairly clueless, that's going to send her mixed messages. If you've politely told her twice to cease and desist, the next time send her a certified letter, signature required, telling her to stop and if she doesn't, you will call the police. And don't be afraid to follow up with the police notification and photos of her mowing job if it happens after that. But a "Oh, no, sweetie, please don't do that again, and here, have another cookie" is unlikely to keep her mower off your lawn.

And the last thing I'd do is notify your insurance company about a potential problem without taking some documented measures to stop it. Because if you do get sued, your insurance company will say sorry, you knew this was a problem and did nothing to mitigate it as required in your policy, so you're not covered.

Old 10-12-2019, 05:54 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,047,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
And the last thing I'd do is notify your insurance company about a potential problem without taking some documented measures to stop it. Because if you do get sued, your insurance company will say sorry, you knew this was a problem and did nothing to mitigate it as required in your policy, so you're not covered.
Bingo.

OP, your username indicates that you used to live in the NYC metro area, so you're no doubt aware of how litigious some people can be. Even if not at first, all it takes is some other person putting a bug in their ear with an "idea" about it. CYA is always the name of the game.....

Also, here's another thought: Rather than go to the expense of a fence or row of shrubs, how about some edging (perhaps the black powder coating aluminum type) along that property line instead? If it extends a couple of inches above the grass level, perhaps she'd hesitate to run her mower over it and risk damaging it. Or something 'decorative but not permanent' like these:

https://www.gardeners.com/buy/noctur...3/8598048.html

https://www.gardeners.com/buy/oxford...3/8598431.html

They are not as high as a fence but I can't imagine she'd run a mower through them. Of course if you hate the look, that's not an option. How long of a shared property line is it?

Last edited by BBCjunkie; 10-12-2019 at 06:03 PM..

Old 10-12-2019, 06:00 PM

Perhaps contact a real property lawyer:

What Happens If Someone is Injured on My Property?

Am I Liable If Someone is Injured on My Property?

Can a Trespasser Sue Me?

https://www.legalmatch.com/law-libra...-property.html

Old 10-12-2019, 07:30 PM

11,443 posts, read 625,479 times
Yes thats happend several times..... Thats one GOOD REASON not to let them on your property...

Old 10-12-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambers72 View Post
Yes thats happend several times..... Thats one GOOD REASON not to let them on your property...
Personally, I think the OP is being reasonable, her neighbor is not being reasonable. Her neighbor's behavior is not reasonable nor is it 'neighborly'.

Old 10-12-2019, 10:09 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I came home one day and realized someone had run a mower (badly) across most of my front lawn, chewed up my edging on the end, and left what they didn't feel like doing. I could think of only one person who would do it and that's my 70+ year old next door widow. I wondered why on earth and left her a message saying thanks (I think) if you mowed part of my lawn. But what would have possessed you to do it?

We spoke to her and she said something noncommittal like we're neighbors, I have your back, blah blah. My husband told her it's just not right, we should be doing yours if you need it, not this way around. He told ME she massacred down to half an inch like her own yard and he hates it. He told her not to do it, he'd take care of it.

Well, Saturday we were up early on our way somewhere and what do we see out the window? The neighbor lady and her mower making short (ha ha) work of our front lawn. I said what should we do? Husband said let me go in the other room where I can't watch and think of what to say. Why does she have to make an issue? Why can't she just leave it alone?

So that's what's got me. Why can't she leave my lawn alone? Is it an eyesore? Is it bringing down the property value of her house? Is she bored? Lonely? Needing exercise? And how on earth do we handle this? Whatever her reason, she's polite, doesn't say well it looked horrid or anything like that. When I said I didn't mind, she seemed almost happy, but the husband wasn't having it. If she told me the truth, I'd know how to deal with it but it makes no sense otherwise.

Your neighbor is not the problem, YOU are the problem. You are being totally weak by not coming right out and telling her to never cut your grass again. You have, by your unwillingness (and your husband's unwillingness) to be firm with her, given her the idea that you are just not wanting her to go out of her way to help you by mowing.

Your lawn, your rules. Time to put on your big girl pants and tell her to never do it again, period. God gave us a mouth for a reason, use it.

Old 10-13-2019, 07:51 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,900,190 times
She is passive-aggressively telling you she doesn't like the way your lawn looks.

Tell her you don't like the way she is mowing your lawn and she is not welcome to do it.

The end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden