Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2019, 11:50 AM

20,102 posts, read 9,015,533 times

Advertisements

Threaten her or get the grass removed and have green gravel put down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2019, 11:57 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,913,458 times
Tell her "do not (don't add 'please') mow the lawn. My husband needs to mow the lawn as part of an exercise plan for health reasons. This is very important to his health." You might go to her home like a specific cut off point in time, with an end-of-mowing-our-lawn (no thank you since she seems to not understand that) muffin. A quick have a nice day.

There's obviously something going on with that neighbor. If not some type of dementia, then something very adversarial and egotistic or angry.

Here's what I had to do. My neighbor's son has a riding mower. The dad is elderly now. The dad always kept a beautiful lawn on the one larger side of his property. On the side by us, his lawn is only a strip maybe 2' wide if that. And his son will not run a walk behind lawn mower one quick run down, maybe one back. He wants to attack that 1-2' with that r-r big guy riding mower. So he rides down my lawn with the big mower cutting it way too short, but the kicker is he then swings the thing way out in a biiig circle - his dad doesn't let him do wheelies in his own lawn - and makes a big odd mess way into my lawn. He continued no matter what we said. So I came up with an idea and even contacted the county manager who said it was okay. That is to gently trench...but a foot or two inside the property line...so as not to be too adversarial don't you know...and put a foot wide of mulch on our side of the property beside the shallow trench.

Yes, we did try mowing the neighbor's narrow strip when we did our own but the son was adamant about doing it again whenever he came out with his riding mower and making those odd circles in our lawn.

Old 10-07-2019, 12:46 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBoy3 View Post
Ask her if you could raise the mower. And I would offer to pay for gas.

I wish I had this neighbor.

Jeepers it's just a lawn..
To you and me and the OP, yes, it's just a lawn.

To the OP's neighbor, it's a crusade. Everyone's lawn must be taken care of to meet her standards. And unfortunately, the neighbor is not alone. As the post below illustrates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
He continued no matter what we said. So I came up with an idea and even contacted the county manager who said it was okay. That is to gently trench...but a foot or two inside the property line...so as not to be too adversarial don't you know...and put a foot wide of mulch on our side of the property beside the shallow trench.
Good idea.

Old 10-07-2019, 12:52 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
You could start telling her to mow your lawn. Tell her what day works best for YOU. Maybe it would peeve her that you're making demands, and then she'll stop. lol

Old 10-07-2019, 12:56 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Give her even more work. Ask her if she can plow your snow, trim your shrubs. Edge your lawn. Work on pavers. If you give her too much maybe she will run in the opposite direction to never be seen again!

Old 10-07-2019, 12:56 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,606,770 times
Trim her roses. All of them.

Old 10-07-2019, 01:08 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Trim her roses. All of them.
LOL! Right down to above the graft union. When she complains, act surprised and innocent, and just tell her you are helping her out because she helps you out and you are returning the favor. The roses will grow back, after all...

Not that I'd actually recommend you do that - but it is pretty funny to imagine it!

Old 10-07-2019, 01:29 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBoy3 View Post
Ask her if you could raise the mower. And I would offer to pay for gas.

I wish I had this neighbor.

Jeepers it's just a lawn..
haha, it is just a lawn but it is my lawn and i do care how it looks. i pay money to several different service providers in addition to putting hours of my own time making my yard look the way i want it to. so while its not going to drive me crazy or anything; im not about to let someone do something to it that im not sanctioning.

Old 10-07-2019, 01:53 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absodamnposilutely View Post
A neighbor three houses down befriended me when I moved here, and she cuts my lawn often. She is retired and I still work. I tell her all the time not to. I told her I enjoy doing it. I told her everything I could think of to be nice about it. She has shredded a door mat with the mower, chopped up a drain pop-up, and shaved off new grass until it died. Still, I come home to it being mowed. I have tried getting to it before she can, and that just makes her do it more often. I cannot be ugly to her. She is a very kindhearted person and clearly has no clue that it's a problem. So I just consider it my "good deed for the day" and say thank you.
There is a difference between being nice and getting walked all over. There is nothing wrong with saying to her "Please stop cutting my lawn. I know you have good intentions, but you have actually damaged a few things. So from now on, please don't."

Old 10-07-2019, 02:39 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
"We appreciate the thought, but my husband needs the exercise."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden