Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2019, 06:29 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
My wife and I have had vegetable gardens in the past with mixed results but last year a tomato plant grew in our main flower bed in the front yard all on it's own. This year another one grew even bigger and with probably 40 grape tomatoes. We didn't plant it or anything no fertilizer. I put some sticks to hold it straight but it has been challenging because that thing is like 7 feet tall and. We have eaten some of the tomatoes already. Isn't mother nature wonderful? Do you have one of those renegade and defiant vegetable plants at home?
Had a rogue watermelon plant once. It only produced a couple but they were delicious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2019, 08:36 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,629,322 times
Well folks it is with a heavy heart that I have to say that the tomato plant is dying. Unfortunately a few days ago we had a storm with some heavy wind which is unusual for this time a year and it knocked the plant down and the roots came off the ground. It happened late at night and I could not put is back into the ground in time and I don't think there any way to salvage it. I am so disappointed but at we collected all the ripe tomatoes from it and there must have been over 20 of them. There is still probably another 20 tomatoes in it.

Old 10-21-2019, 05:39 AM

24,538 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Well folks it is with a heavy heart that I have to say that the tomato plant is dying. Unfortunately a few days ago we had a storm with some heavy wind which is unusual for this time a year and it knocked the plant down and the roots came off the ground. It happened late at night and I could not put is back into the ground in time and I don't think there any way to salvage it. I am so disappointed but at we collected all the ripe tomatoes from it and there must have been over 20 of them. There is still probably another 20 tomatoes in it.
Those green tomatoes may still ripen. Put them in a sunny spot for a day or two before you throw them out.

Old 10-21-2019, 08:00 AM

1,417 posts, read 734,421 times
If it was not a hybrid and is a regular leaf (verses rugose or potato leaf) you can likely save some seeds (best to ferment them first, then dry and store) and will likely get the same plant back next year.

Old 10-21-2019, 09:31 AM

2,039 posts, read 4,554,382 times
I had a small cat nip plant on the deck for my cat that I got probably about 7 years ago. The original plant is gone but I have cat nip coming up every year now in my yard. Luckily it is sticking to the area around my small pond and flower bed. I don't mind it as it is also supposed to help with mosquitoes.

Oh, btw, my cat still partakes of it once in a while.

Old 10-23-2019, 05:59 AM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
My tomato in a pot was near death from storms 3 times this summer. The main stem was split and bent. I wrapped it in flexible tape using a couple of wooden skewers as a splint. It worked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden