Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2019, 07:37 PM

17,534 posts, read 13,324,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M. View Post
They're at it again. Two more of my pines suddenly lost all but a few of their needles, so they must be either dead or near death. I strongly suspect the deer are behind this; they took several last year and two over the summer.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Deer Scram powder around trees and bushes works for us

Smells like***t. Oh, it is But works
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2019, 08:29 PM

1,493 posts, read 1,518,461 times
I am seeing more and more deer. I recently watched a buck scrape a white pines until the branch feel off.

I have neighbors who bow hunt. Unquestionably helps as deer avoid the area.

Old 11-20-2019, 09:32 PM

1,056 posts, read 724,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBoy3 View Post
I am seeing more and more deer. I recently watched a buck scrape a white pines until the branch feel off.

I have neighbors who bow hunt. Unquestionably helps as deer avoid the area.
I tried to convince dad to focus on hunting the area this season, but he's not listened. He's gotten some deer at his dad's place instead. Also, I don't know how to use ranged weapons, have the interest in learning nor trust myself with something that dangerous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Get a dog.
We have three dogs (all of which are hunting breeds), but we 1: cannot let them live in the forest (even if in chains) and 2: have solely inside dogs.

Old 11-21-2019, 07:10 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,122,405 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, fencing will not work. I seriously doubt my parents would pay for a high enough fence, and it'd be difficult anyways because we'd need to do it on a sloped, forested area and add two gates for the hiking trail.

I understand and, like I said.. it's not keeping them out anyway but supposedly an 8' one will. Which I will be trying along the back property line. No way could I have done a fence at my last place either...same type of situation as you.... forested area and not practical to fence it.

Old 11-21-2019, 07:16 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,122,405 times
Quote:
I tried to convince dad to focus on hunting the area this season, but he's not listened. He's gotten some deer at his dad's place instead. Also, I don't know how to use ranged weapons, have the interest in learning nor trust myself with something that dangerous.

We have three dogs (all of which are hunting breeds), but we 1: cannot let them live in the forest (even if in chains) and 2: have solely inside dogs.

Like TwobyFour said, the dog is the best bet if no fence. Maybe another dog that spends more time outside? Otherwise... forget it. Learn to get along with the deer because they're gonna keep coming without anything else being done. A lot of the stinky repellents work until the deer are hungry, then, they don't. I've gone thru gallons (Of various stinky flavors) since spring and they've eaten most of my landscaping regardless.

Old 11-21-2019, 07:33 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
Just send the dogs out everytime you see deer. The deer eventually get the hint. You can also try setting up a radio on a timer or hooked up to somekind of motion senser.

Old 11-21-2019, 10:15 AM

484 posts, read 197,000 times
My husband has sprayed fox urine (synthetic, I think) on the trees and that works for a while. We put a fence around flower beds and other shrubs they want to eat. We do not fence the entire yard as that would be hugely expensive, but we do put a fence around the flower beds, and the garden to keep them out. They will eat just about anything. They do leave the marigolds alone. Good luck!
This is a picture of one of our berms with the wire around it.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/fbBMirCs1k5zNaTs7

Old 11-21-2019, 02:32 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
Nothing short of a strong, TALL, fence will keep them from eating what they want.

Sprays... I use Liquid Fence IIRC ...are good for a short period of time. Miss it one day at a critical time and your trees/shrubs/plants are toast.

Dog? Until he is inside while they are outside. Or he is asleep while they are dining.

There is virtually nothing which works longer term aside from a tall fence. Deer eat just about everything. They love evergreens (like deer chocolate) and rose bushes. The tend not to eat daffodils.....small consolation.

Trust me, I have tried everything from monofilament line tied to pie plates to sprays to chasing them with a drone to human hair to urine to growing deer "proof" plants. They just laugh.

Somewhere there is a show or video on deer behavior and the things which were scientifically tried in order to fool the deer. The only thing that looked foolish were the people. The deer are quite cunning--including how to avoid or make friends with the guard dog.

Old 11-21-2019, 05:15 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Nothing short of a strong, TALL, fence will keep them from eating what they want.

Sprays... I use Liquid Fence IIRC ...are good for a short period of time. Miss it one day at a critical time and your trees/shrubs/plants are toast.

Dog? Until he is inside while they are outside. Or he is asleep while they are dining.

There is virtually nothing which works longer term aside from a tall fence. Deer eat just about everything. They love evergreens (like deer chocolate) and rose bushes. The tend not to eat daffodils.....small consolation.

Trust me, I have tried everything from monofilament line tied to pie plates to sprays to chasing them with a drone to human hair to urine to growing deer "proof" plants. They just laugh.

Somewhere there is a show or video on deer behavior and the things which were scientifically tried in order to fool the deer. The only thing that looked foolish were the people. The deer are quite cunning--including how to avoid or make friends with the guard dog.
Some states have laws against dogs chasing deer. In my state the dog could even be destroyed if found chasing deer - although I have not heard of that happening for many years.

Like you also state; the sprays and powders only last so long.

The OP mentioned hunting; but hunting has seasons and limitations. Poaching has serious fines and sometimes jail time.

To me the OP wants answers and the fencing or deer tree wraps are the only solution; but they do not want to take the time or effort to actually protect their trees. They are looking for an easy answer and that will not be the case.

Many homeowners are also fooled by when to stop fencing their trees. Large buck will sometimes use trees even four/five inches in diameter and even larger. If you really values your trees you have to do the work.

Old 11-21-2019, 07:20 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,551,890 times
I used to like deer, then I bought this house. Now, I hate them! We get mowed down all the time and have wasted tons of money on gadgets, sprays, and professional services. Even bought a BB gun to get them to fear me (we’ve actually had them in our friggin garage just hanging out).

Only thing that’s worked for us - clear fishing line. If you can run a perimeter around your area where you know they come from with clear fishing line at about your knee level - it might work for you too. I bought some 4lb test at Walmart and ran a perimeter around the area they kept attacking. Checked it daily, it never was broken and we were able to finally have some flowers.

My understanding is they can’t see the line when they approach, but will feel it brush up against their legs, which they are extremely sensitive about and want to protect over all else, and it freaks them out and they run the other way.

They were eating everything with color. Said they don’t like this don’t like that - all BS around here. I’m surprised they haven’t eaten the brick on the house. But the fishing line trick has worked for us.

And no, I did not harm them with the BB gun - but yes, I sure did enjoy popping a couple on the butt with a few shot at minimal pressure. I’ve never killed an animal, don’t really want to, but if I ever do - I’m going full Rambo on Bambi! Ha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden