Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2019, 11:50 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,303,738 times

Advertisements

I need some privacy screen, but really don't want to wait 5-10 years for young trees to mature. I see there is a machine that can dig up mature trees' root ball and transplant them. I wonder whether that is economically feasible.

Do people "give away" mature trees? Or are there places to acquire them for low cost? Specialty nurseries have mature trees but I think they are very very expensive...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2019, 01:54 AM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
Mature trees require expensive tree removal equipment such as large mechanical tree spades. There's a lot of work involved. They are not cheap. Call your local tree service companies.

Old 12-01-2019, 03:03 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
Perhaps you can plant the young trees and put up some other privacy screen while you're waiting for the trees to mature? A tall fence can be covered by bean vines in a season, although they die off in cold places. There's other vines that can cover a trellis pretty quickly but only last a few years. By the time the vines died back, the trees would be mature.

Otherwise, ask some contractors who build houses on raw land, they may have unwanted mature trees occasionally.

Old 12-01-2019, 11:55 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
OP, what you're suggesting would cost you a fortune plus your first-born child, it's definitely not realistic if you're trying to do any of it on the cheap. Nobody in their right mind gives away mature live trees, they are extremely expensive to buy at either a nursery or privately and extremely expensive to dig up and transplant. It would be a HUGE enterprise with huge expenses to cover the work involved.

If privacy is of immediate concern and you can't wait for it and can't afford to pay out a lot of money then your easiest and least expensive alternative is to put up a fence to block the view. You would still have the option of planting a row of small, affordable young trees along the inside of the fence and allow them the time they need to grow. When the trees have grown to a suitable height and width to provide the privacy you want then if you still want to remove it you can take down the fence.

Old 12-01-2019, 05:49 PM

1,493 posts, read 1,520,316 times
Another issue is mature trees can be approaching end of life span. Many dense hybrid trees only live for about 30 years..

Old 12-01-2019, 08:56 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Yes, it's fairly easy to find mature trees for free, but moving them is an extremely expensive project and sometimes they die of shock after you've paid to move them. Any new housing development will be removing any trees that exist on the property.

I've got a whole bunch of nice pines that need to be thinned and you can have hundreds of them if you want to come and dig them up. Plus, I just removed a large number of nice big pines to get a clear area to build a shop. The pines are probably 20 feet tall.

I suggest something really fast growing alternated with something permanent and attractive. When the prize plants get taller, remove the cheaper fast growing ones.

Or do a trellis with something fast growing and thick like grape vines.

Old 12-02-2019, 06:46 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,661,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
I need some privacy screen, but really don't want to wait 5-10 years for young trees to mature. I see there is a machine that can dig up mature trees' root ball and transplant them. I wonder whether that is economically feasible.

Do people "give away" mature trees? Or are there places to acquire them for low cost? Specialty nurseries have mature trees but I think they are very very expensive...

I would suggest purchasing evergreens such as Colorado blue spruce or hemlock. These are sold by the foot with taller trees costing more. If they get plenty of sun and water, they grow very quickly. I have a hemlock that started as a 6-8 inch seedling that is now over 30 feet tall.

Old 12-02-2019, 09:45 AM

430 posts, read 283,750 times
There is a place called Hartley Nursery in Somis, CA. that is trying to sell out and close. They have some pretty mature trees still in large containers. I imagine you could get a pretty good deal on them, but I cannot imagine what it would cost to load, truck, and plant them.

Old 12-02-2019, 10:04 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,767,560 times
As others have said, moving a mature tree is going to be expensive.

We used to have a Bay Laurel that was a screen tree. It grew very fast, is an evergreen, and is thick. You might consider one of those. I am sure there are other fast growing screen trees. A local nursery will know. Get ones in 25 gallon pots as that is about the biggest portable tree that you can easily buy, move, and plant yourself. You can expect to pay $100+ per tree in a 25 gal pot.

Old 12-02-2019, 06:16 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,303,738 times
Fence is not allowed at the location, unfortunately, therefore trees are the only option. i actually have some trees on my own property that can be used As screen. how much does those big spade machine cost to hire? Seems they can move a tree 50 feet in 10 minutes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden