U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2020, 08:28 AM

3,497 posts, read 2,859,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I loved my grandmother's recipe for dandelions. she made them with a bacon dressing sweet and sour sauce and I would wolf those down every time. To bad I don't have the recipe!
Yum. We always would just saute them in olive oil with garlic. Sometimes add cannelini beans to that. I love them raw in a salad. I can’t seem to find them early enough to dig here in South Louisiana though, and I miss them!

Sorry OP, not trying to hijack your topic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2020, 08:34 AM

15,587 posts, read 12,509,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Yum. We always would just saute them in olive oil with garlic. Sometimes add cannelini beans to that. I love them raw in a salad. I can’t seem to find them early enough to dig here in South Louisiana though, and I miss them!

Sorry OP, not trying to hijack your topic!
I don't have my grandmother anymore or her recipe; but I did find this one: https://www.bigoven.com/recipe/hot-s...ressing/139021. If we can get the OP to enjoy their dandelions maybe they will not have a problem! Sorry OP!

Old 01-25-2020, 08:46 AM

587 posts, read 249,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
I'm a big fan of the tool. I had red clay soil and found it especially effective after a good rain. Long tap roots would slide out intact. It does take a bit of practice.
Truth. Even in rocky, gravely soil (up to a point, that is). The grandpa weeders sometimes only get part of the root in gravely soil, but the Weed Zinger types do better. I don't know about those Fiskars though. Plastic? Why? This is a garden tool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
When we bought our property, it was left un mowed. Grass was waist tall. When we mowed it, we found "plates" of dandelions, several feet wide clusters, all over the grass.
We tried this and that, wife was trying to poke them out...on an acre lot. Right.
then, she bought that tool I mentioned. That was it. I'd come back from work, get out of car, grab it and go through the lot, in about 4 feet wide strips. Will take about 30 min a strip. Indeed, very calming thing to do.
That was it. In about a month, I got it all. After that, it was simple maintenance.
This is me. Half an hour to an hour every few days, outdoors and listening to the birds, so peaceful. I don't know about a whole acre though!

Old 01-25-2020, 09:38 AM

38,701 posts, read 47,588,408 times
DH uses a granular weed and feed on our grass and we never have dandelions.

Old 01-25-2020, 09:57 AM

86 posts, read 29,105 times
My lawn gets the occasional dandelion and I shoot it with Roundup directly into the yellow flower, whereupon it dies completely within one day.

Old Today, 06:40 PM

684 posts, read 325,417 times
just got grandpa weeder and it really does work - we have clay soil here in central texas - the only thing is talking my wife to walk along with the trash can!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or