U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2019, 02:16 PM

536 posts, read 290,100 times

Advertisements

I have my eye on a stand-up weeder to remove dandelions, etc. from my lawn. Do any of you use such a thing? My concern is how well it works, but even more how well it holds up.

The Fiskars (link below) gets tons of reviews and overall good ratings, but those who complain seem to have the same problem: it doesn't hold up because of its plastic parts. Any recommendations?

https://www.fiskars.com/en-us/garden...aw-339950-1001

BTW, I realize I can beat the price shown on the above website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2019, 03:57 PM

29,742 posts, read 65,037,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmerLernen View Post
I have my eye on a stand-up weeder...
Use one of the hose-end herbicide sprayers first.

Old 12-19-2019, 10:56 AM

11,767 posts, read 16,815,501 times
Naahh... not gonna be happy with it. Handle is too small, your hand will get tired very fast.
Get puller from Home Depot. I have 2 of them. I vouch for them hands down. After 1 acre cleared from pesky weeds, by hand, with that tool.

Do not buy one that has curved spiral sharp prongs. It sucks. That simple one I post is the best.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Weed-Zin...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Old 12-19-2019, 11:37 AM

1,997 posts, read 1,089,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Use one of the hose-end herbicide sprayers first.

why???

mine was unfinished wood handle with metal foot parts. I don't remember the name but I cleared my yard and surrounding area of thistles. I like dandelions

look for a used one

Edited to say: Check out Grampa's Weeder at Ace Hardware

Old 12-19-2019, 12:08 PM

29,742 posts, read 65,037,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
why???
a) Because they work.
b) I suspect the OP isn't able/willing to get on his knees to do it right.
c) Doing it right (2 sq feet at a time)... is easier when most of the weeds are already dead.
Attached Thumbnails
Stand-Up Weeder / Dandelion Remover Recommendations-ames-garden-hand-tools-2445300-31_145.jpg  

Old 12-19-2019, 01:40 PM

536 posts, read 290,100 times
Thanks for the feedback! I'll look into the alternative tools suggested.

I've tried the "herbicide" approach (homemade with pantry ingredients) but I don't like how it kills the weed & anything adjacent and leaves brown spots (reminds me of dog pee damage) and doesn't get the tap root. We're talking a small-ish suburban yard/lawn that I like to keep looking tidy, not a field.

I'm certainly able to do it by hand with the hand tool -- kind of satisfying, actually -- but my hand & wrist tend to get tired and a little sore. I was just looking for a quicker way if one of those stand-up tools would offer that, so long as its not a piece of junk.

Old 12-19-2019, 02:12 PM

2,403 posts, read 881,833 times
I tried one of those stand-up weeders in the past and found it a royal PITA to use. If you have a lot of pebbles or stones in your soil, or it's heavy clay, forget about it. After the first season I gave it away and went back to using my hand weeder or a herbicide, depending on how bad the problem is.

The one I bought was all metal, I forget the name but I ordered it from either Lee Valley or Gardeners Supply about a dozen years ago. Not cheap either, which made it even more annoying LOL

Old 12-19-2019, 02:16 PM

1,997 posts, read 1,089,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
I tried one of those stand-up weeders in the past and found it a royal PITA to use. If you have a lot of pebbles or stones in your soil, or it's heavy clay, forget about it. After the first season I gave it away and went back to using my hand weeder or a herbicide, depending on how bad the problem is.

I'm a big fan of the tool. I had red clay soil and found it especially effective after a good rain. Long tap roots would slide out intact. It does take a bit of practice.

Old 12-19-2019, 03:47 PM

11,767 posts, read 16,815,501 times
When we bought our property, it was left un mowed. Grass was waist tall. When we mowed it, we found "plates" of dandelions, several feet wide clusters, all over the grass.
We tried this and that, wife was trying to poke them out...on an acre lot. Right.
then, she bought that tool I mentioned. That was it. I'd come back from work, get out of car, grab it and go through the lot, in about 4 feet wide strips. Will take about 30 min a strip. Indeed, very calming thing to do.
That was it. In about a month, I got it all. After that, it was simple maintenance.

Old 12-20-2019, 03:43 AM

41,773 posts, read 16,488,839 times
Grampa's Weeder

https://smile.amazon.com/Grampas-Wee...s%2C164&sr=8-4

Easier to use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or