Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2020, 01:58 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
looks like there will be work happening this saturday so new pictures will be coming this weekend unless something bad happens.

met with my landscaper guy this morning to discuss retaining wall, moving some trees to expand my backyard a bit, grass to replace what is being ruined. im also going to get a quote from him for the paver deck. the pool company has a guy but im not required to use him so i may as well get a competing quote.
So. Many. Decisions.

So I thought all the colors and everything were picked out, we're all good...nope. When they started digging, they realized that one side of the yard is about 6 inches higher than the other side. I mean, where the patio ends. So they want to extend the ledge along the back of the pool all the way out to the edge of the patio, which is fine. But now I'm thinking "Hmmmm, a bit of tile perhaps?" They have it on the plans as just a continuation of the limestone or whatever it is around the edge of the pool.

We got nearly to the very end of the dig yesterday and they hit a spring. So of course some water, not a lot but some, came into the bottom. So they were supposed to do the plumbing today but instead a pump is out there and the plumbing goes in tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2020, 08:08 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
So. Many. Decisions.

So I thought all the colors and everything were picked out, we're all good...nope. When they started digging, they realized that one side of the yard is about 6 inches higher than the other side. I mean, where the patio ends. So they want to extend the ledge along the back of the pool all the way out to the edge of the patio, which is fine. But now I'm thinking "Hmmmm, a bit of tile perhaps?" They have it on the plans as just a continuation of the limestone or whatever it is around the edge of the pool.

We got nearly to the very end of the dig yesterday and they hit a spring. So of course some water, not a lot but some, came into the bottom. So they were supposed to do the plumbing today but instead a pump is out there and the plumbing goes in tomorrow.
i guess thats not unusual because the excavator pointed out to me that one side of my yard is about 3-4 feet higher, hence the need for the retaining wall. funny how you dont really notice that stuff when walking in the yard even though its a significant difference.

how deep are you going? one incentive for not going too deep (6 feet) was the risk of hitting water. i really didnt even want it that deep anyway. id rather be able to stand the entire pool but of course i was overruled.

Old 02-28-2020, 08:47 AM

Quote:
i guess thats not unusual because the excavator pointed out to me that one side of my yard is about 3-4 feet higher, hence the need for the retaining wall. funny how you dont really notice that stuff when walking in the yard even though its a significant difference.

how deep are you going? one incentive for not going too deep (6 feet) was the risk of hitting water. i really didnt even want it that deep anyway. id rather be able to stand the entire pool but of course i was overruled.
We went to five feet. 3.5 to 5 feet. I hope it's deep enough.

We don't want any diving!!!! Mainly it's for exercise and relaxing.

Even though we are at the top of a hill, we hit water at between 4 and 5 feet. Ugh. But it wasn't bad.

Old 02-28-2020, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
We went to five feet. 3.5 to 5 feet. I hope it's deep enough.

We don't want any diving!!!! Mainly it's for exercise and relaxing.

Even though we are at the top of a hill, we hit water at between 4 and 5 feet. Ugh. But it wasn't bad.
awesome, that is what i wanted. i spend all my time in the water just standing there. you can swim in shallow water and you can jump in if you are careful. i figure a deep end can cut my pool's usable space in half.

im on a hill also and i believe the area where the pool is was all filled in to get the area more level. so i also wouldnt expect water but i guess you never know. the guy did encounter a tree stump under there, he said he will just bury it in the area we are raising up and it shouldnt be a problem.

and something bad happened, apparently the pool company couldnt get a concrete company to come tomorrow since its early and most arent working now. so they should be doing it on tuesday.

Old 02-29-2020, 07:34 AM

Quote:
awesome, that is what i wanted. i spend all my time in the water just standing there. you can swim in shallow water and you can jump in if you are careful. i figure a deep end can cut my pool's usable space in half.

im on a hill also and i believe the area where the pool is was all filled in to get the area more level. so i also wouldnt expect water but i guess you never know. the guy did encounter a tree stump under there, he said he will just bury it in the area we are raising up and it shouldnt be a problem.

and something bad happened, apparently the pool company couldnt get a concrete company to come tomorrow since its early and most arent working now. so they should be doing it on tuesday.
We are on the very top of a hill too, but even so, we hit water. There are tons of underground springs in this area though, so I feel lucky it wasn't worse.

Yeah, we went back and forth about going deeper, so I hope we don't regret not doing so, but I honestly don't think we will. As nice as it sounds, all I really do is water aerobics and floating around on a floatie with a big glass of iced tea.

My backyard looks like hell. They put the plumbing in yesterday and are putting the steel in as I type this. Gunite is next. We are trying to get the gunite done before it rains Monday and Tuesday - again. Then the gunite has to cure for a week, and I think they may be doing the concrete decking after that. My impression is that nothing much is going to happen for the week after the gunite is in place. I could be wrong though - who knows! All I know is that my back yard looks awful.

Old 02-29-2020, 03:36 PM

so yesterday the concrete company had a bunch of crushed rock delivered. a-holes blocked half my street. i put my recycling can in front of it to hopefully make sure they dont run into it. i hope nobody does between now and tuesday. i have some orange snow fence, im thinking ill go out and wrap the garbage can in it.

Old 02-29-2020, 08:09 PM

Quote:
so yesterday the concrete company had a bunch of crushed rock delivered. a-holes blocked half my street. i put my recycling can in front of it to hopefully make sure they dont run into it. i hope nobody does between now and tuesday. i have some orange snow fence, im thinking ill go out and wrap the garbage can in it.
Ugh!

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I have big chunks of strange concrete all over my backyard today. I have no idea what's going on with that.

Old 03-02-2020, 07:45 AM

Gunite is going in today!

Old 03-02-2020, 07:49 AM

128 posts, read 105,350 times
We need pictures!!!!

Old 03-02-2020, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciblue View Post
We need pictures!!!!
Oh there are plastic sheets everywhere right now but as soon as I can, I will post some!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden