Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2020, 07:10 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Thanks so much for those figures. Nothing comes cheap, does it? It used to be 40-50 thousand; now it sounds like the price has pretty much doubled.
Oh yes. And we live in NE Texas, an hour and a half east of Dallas, so I don't think the prices are higher than in most other areas - probably pretty typical.

We could have done the pool for $65k rather than $75k if we'd wanted to go smaller, and do without the cleaning system. But our space sort of called for a bigger pool and we just wanted that cleaning system, so we thought "Well, it's a one time thing, let's just do it."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2020, 09:47 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
so they came yesterday and the progress was a bit disappointing. it did start raining around noon so i think they may have had to cut the day short because of that. they took the rocks from the street and put most of them where the steps are going and left a couple of small piles on the outside.

Old 03-04-2020, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
so they came yesterday and the progress was a bit disappointing. it did start raining around noon so i think they may have had to cut the day short because of that. they took the rocks from the street and put most of them where the steps are going and left a couple of small piles on the outside.
Wow, that looks amazing - and it looks a LOT different from mine. Must be a totally different style of construction.

Old 03-04-2020, 09:56 AM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Looking good guys!! How much has your insurance cost changed? How about property taxes? Curious.

Old 03-04-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Wow, that looks amazing - and it looks a LOT different from mine. Must be a totally different style of construction.
yes, this is a steel wall construction with a liner. it seems to be recommended in my area even by the more high end pool builders who have typically done gunite pools. i like the feel of the liner vs the gunite and also the cost savings.

Old 03-04-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Looking good guys!! How much has your insurance cost changed? How about property taxes? Curious.
it is early for that. interestingly, i just switched my homeowners policy about a month ago and the insurance company immediately set up an inspection of my property (first time that has happened so quickly). so we will see if they have anything to say about the pool addition and if they want to change my price.

at the time, the pool company had that orange fence around but it was missing a section (i guess they figured nobody was going to be going around the high pile of dirt in that section. so the night before i stopped off at lowes to pick up more orange safety fence because i was afraid they would drop me if they saw an incomplete fence. ive been dropped by homeowners insurance twice and last time my company visited i got a big price bump, so insurance company visits havent gone well for me historically.

Old 03-04-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
No changes to insurance costs.

Property taxes have yet to be calculated. I mean, it IS a big improvement and does add value to the property so I expect that property taxes will go up.

Old 03-04-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
yes, this is a steel wall construction with a liner. it seems to be recommended in my area even by the more high end pool builders who have typically done gunite pools. i like the feel of the liner vs the gunite and also the cost savings.
Different types of soil and all that I guess. Around here gunite is recommended. But I'm sure both are terrific.

Old 03-05-2020, 08:02 AM

Yuck. We have about 6 inches of green, brackish water at the bottom of our pool since it rained like crazy here for two days.

Old 03-05-2020, 02:56 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Yuck. We have about 6 inches of green, brackish water at the bottom of our pool since it rained like crazy here for two days.
My friend put in a pool here last summer and it was gunite with a deep end, no diving board and a huge 8 foot square hot tub that spills over to the pool. Stunning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden