Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2020, 09:18 AM

13,036 posts, read 17,973,019 times

Advertisements

Captain, I was not suggesting a call to receive an apology, rather action, because they had a contract with you that they did not deliver on (.i.e. the pool company owes you instruction in how to care and maintain the pool.) I would still call the pool company and do as I suggested. They apparently have a contract with a third party (not your problem) and they should know that the people they are using to complete their job are not living up to expectations and it reflects poorly on them. I feel certain they will not like to hear that and will pressure the 3rd party to straighten out and fly right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2020, 10:18 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,545,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Captain, I was not suggesting a call to receive an apology, rather action, because they had a contract with you that they did not deliver on (.i.e. the pool company owes you instruction in how to care and maintain the pool.) I would still call the pool company and do as I suggested. They apparently have a contract with a third party (not your problem) and they should know that the people they are using to complete their job are not living up to expectations and it reflects poorly on them. I feel certain they will not like to hear that and will pressure the 3rd party to straighten out and fly right.
i hear you. i am just going to do it when i am expecting the next deliverable since i still need them to come and finish the pool but that will probably need to happen tomorrow for the pool to clear out. they said to contact them when the drain is visible and that will probably be tomorrow morning.

Old 05-29-2020, 06:13 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,458,744 times
I forgot that you have a salt water pool. I have no experience with the chemicals required for a salt water pool to get the water cleared up. But I would figure once it's stabilized it will be easy to maintain.

Anyway, keep us posted on the situation. I agree with nuts2uiam - I'd contact the pool company and tell them about their contractor and what a poor reflection it is on them.

Can you see the drain this morning? If so, that's a really good development! We need pictures when it's all cleared up!

On an aside note, when I was cleaning one of the skimmer things by the filter pump, I found a big, long screw underneath the basket just laying there loose. It looks important but I have no idea what it is. Everything seems to be working fine. I sent a picture of it to the pool guys and they said they will come by and check on it. We'll see!

Pool adventures! The good news is that we've been in that pool every single day for at least two hours a day. I love it!!!!!

Oh and the sod we had laid in the back yard looks fabulous which is nice. The grass is a month old and seems to have taken well to it's new location. It's all coming together!

Old 05-29-2020, 07:24 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,335,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I forgot that you have a salt water pool. I have no experience with the chemicals required for a salt water pool to get the water cleared up. But I would figure once it's stabilized it will be easy to maintain.

Anyway, keep us posted on the situation. I agree with nuts2uiam - I'd contact the pool company and tell them about their contractor and what a poor reflection it is on them.

Can you see the drain this morning? If so, that's a really good development! We need pictures when it's all cleared up!

On an aside note, when I was cleaning one of the skimmer things by the filter pump, I found a big, long screw underneath the basket just laying there loose. It looks important but I have no idea what it is. Everything seems to be working fine. I sent a picture of it to the pool guys and they said they will come by and check on it. We'll see!

Pool adventures! The good news is that we've been in that pool every single day for at least two hours a day. I love it!!!!!

Oh and the sod we had laid in the back yard looks fabulous which is nice. The grass is a month old and seems to have taken well to it's new location. It's all coming together!
Sounds like things are working out for you.

Old 05-29-2020, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Sounds like things are working out for you.
Oh they are! We have zero regrets on doing this. Zero. I just wish we'd done it sooner! But we couldn't do it in our previous house due to drainage issues.

Old 05-29-2020, 09:37 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,545,884 times
Quote:

i spoke to them and they are going to do a final cleaning monday and they will come to educate me the following saturday (weekends are better for me since i commute to work). i contacted the pool service my neighbor uses so they will take care of chemicals from then on. i could see the drain in the deep end pretty clearly this morning so we are getting there. ill post up a pic when its nice and clean.

im glad you are enjoying yourself, hopefully i will be you within a couple of weeks.

Old 05-29-2020, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i spoke to them and they are going to do a final cleaning monday and they will come to educate me the following saturday (weekends are better for me since i commute to work). i contacted the pool service my neighbor uses so they will take care of chemicals from then on. i could see the drain in the deep end pretty clearly this morning so we are getting there. ill post up a pic when its nice and clean.

im glad you are enjoying yourself, hopefully i will be you within a couple of weeks.
I bet you will be! Sounds like things are coming together!

Old 05-29-2020, 03:35 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,873,457 times
Quote:
Yes, I do think you should have been cleaning it but if it's any comfort to you, we are friends with the pool company owner (whose company built our pool) and he was showing me some photos someone had sent him of a pool that hadn't been treated in months and he got it into shape within a week. Not sure about swimming in it though. But it looked good within a week. And honestly, the water was HORRIBLE looking at the start.

But I do think that if you want your daughter and her friends to be able to swim in it you should start working on it right now and not wait till the 26th.

We have some anti algae stuff that we add each week - we just pour it into the water (only about 6 oz of stuff). So far, no issues.

But I get up every morning, skim the leaves or whatever out of the pool (there's not very many but I'm really anal about this!), and I brush the bottom of the pool. To be honest, I find it relaxing - out in the back yard, really early in the morning, listening to birds...I like it.

Once you get it into shape it shouldn't be hard to maintain.
Omg hi Kathryn, I remember you from years ago on these forums! I hope you are doing well.

Old 05-30-2020, 12:25 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,494,012 times
Captain & Kathryn; Thanks for all your hard work documenting your pool builds. Looks as if you weather's not cooperated this year, and it's taken longer than normal to build your pool. Fortunately you're able to swim so early, as the backlog of pending pool builds this year is long. One pool contractor said we'd be lucky to get our pool before August with him.

Well, my fiberglass pool was installed in 1 1/2 days, and then the job slowed down. My pool installer is supposed to be here tomorrow to finish up my pool. We bought our pool from a pool store, and the installer is a subcontractor. The pool store's owner installed the bullnose brick coping on the pool ($4K). Then I had to find an electrician used to installing pool electrics and bonded grounds--no big deal. A concrete contractor then came in after the electrical inspection and did his thing.

I was going to build a large deck off the back of a 38' screen porch, but decided to go 20' of concrete from the house to the pool. We went with 4' walkway on the back of the pool and 8' decks on each end of the pool. There went my Cororvid $.

We ended up with a small mountain of dirt, and paid the installer to prepare the yard for sodding. He got busy on other jobs and put the final excavation on the back burner. We'll be going round and round about that tomorrow.

I have had a couple of issues making me wonder about the intelligence of workers. When the coping was grouted with mortar, they cleaned their floats in the pool--leaving a thick layer of sand in the pool bottom. Then quite a bit of flat pack gravel ended up in the pool when the installers backfilled around the pool with a skidsteer loader. And one of the two PVC pipes in the skimmer got impacted with rock when they were backfilling. My pump quit working and I filed a warranty claim. An authorized Jandy pool company came out today and disassembled my pump that was found jammed with mortar/sand and a few pieces of gravel. I had to pay them for their time.

We are very thrilled with the fiberglass pool that we special ordered. Fiberglass pools are not all created equal, and our pool is supposedly the top of the line. We got the model that has a shelf on one end, and it's 5' deep everywhere. Our installer only installs fiberglass pools, and he's as busy as possible. He does install vinyl liners, but no longer installs vinyl liner pools. My pool store's owner installs very custom gunite pools in incredibly expensive homes, and he builds splash pads in city parks in 3 states. He recently built a 40' x 40' gunite pool with an infinity edge overlooking a major lake. Another pool installed with walls and waterfalls were $280K--looking like the pools seen on HGTV.

We have a new generation 1.85 hp variable speed pump running 220 volts, as is the matching saltwater generator. We were shocked at the cost of the multi color LED light. Around here 2/3 of all pools are saltwater. It's kind on the skin, and doesn't burn eyes or taste. The deal is that the saltwater generator takes the saltwater and turns it into a low level of chlorine to keep the pool clean and the algae low. You just monitor a LED panel and add a little salt from time to time. That's it to maintenance other than emptying the filter in the skimmer and the filter on the pump head.

I brought my hot tub over from our last house, and have yet to install it. Instead of a pergola, I'm going to install a substantial gazebo with a metal roof sitting on a concrete pad. That'll be stage 2 of the project. It's going to first look like a carport, but I'm going to wall up half of it for lawn equipment storage. The problem with hot tubs is that they require very heavy gauge wiring, and it's not uncommon to spend $2K+ for the GFI and wiring. I do my own wiring.

I'm glad you guys are up and running and prepared for your quarantine. We too have been locked down, but have not really had time (after moving) to go out anywhere much. I'm also fortunate to have a 16,000 acre swimming pool in the front yard of a lake house an hour from home, and it's a high maintenance place where we spend weekends. Have a great Summer.

Old 05-30-2020, 05:17 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,887,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i hear you. i am just going to do it when i am expecting the next deliverable since i still need them to come and finish the pool but that will probably need to happen tomorrow for the pool to clear out. they said to contact them when the drain is visible and that will probably be tomorrow morning.
Better Business Bureau? Unsure about the pool category but most companies tend to take complaints to the BBB seriously & attempt to resolve issues because it has an effect on their bottom line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden