Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2020, 08:46 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
definitely need the pool to be super warm if the outside is cool. im hoping that the solar cover will help me keep it very warm (im thinking 90ish but im not sure) without much need to use the heater.

the coronavirus apocalypse definitely allows for a lot of pool time. now my wife has signed us up to host a 4th of july party and another party in august. she hasnt sent out august party invites yet but there is mixed response on the 4th of july of people who are afraid of coronavirus and those that jumped right on the invite. thats ok, i dont need 50 people over.
We have a two pools in our community an indoor and an outdoor. In the winter the pool is heated to 84 degrees, which is what the local Y an other pools are all set at. Personally, I do not find a pool in the 90's all that refreshing, but it is your pool and you should enjoy it to your liking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2020, 09:07 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
We have a two pools in our community an indoor and an outdoor. In the winter the pool is heated to 84 degrees, which is what the local Y an other pools are all set at. Personally, I do not find a pool in the 90's all that refreshing, but it is your pool and you should enjoy it to your liking.
i dont really know what temperature is the right one yet (ill learn soon im sure) but in my experience im looking to be comfortable not refreshed. one of the best vacations we have taken was beaches in turks and caicos and a big part of that was how warm they kept the pool. when a pool is very warm, people freely enter and exit as they wish and it made it much nicer to seamlessly enter and exit the pool whenever.

Old 06-03-2020, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Amen to all that. I have begun having a few people over at a time in the late afternoons. I like to keep things small anyway. I would like to invite some neighbors over but dang it, most of our neighbors know each other and many of them have several little kids and I just don't want all that commotion and carrying on!

My husband and I say this about ourselves - we're good people but we're not sweet people. LOL I have a short tolerance level for a lot of little kids running around. Been there done that. Now I realize why younger parents help with vacation bible school. It seems like sheer hell to me now, and when my kids were little I was all about helping every summer! What the heck.

We've had a very low rate of COVID 19 in our area so people seem more relaxed about it but I still don't want to have any big parties - I mean, I never wanted to but now I REALLY don't want to!

We turned our heater on for a few days in April and I think we are going to get the bill today. Should be interesting!

Temps are staying in the low 80s so far in our pool (the outside temps are in the upper 80s here now). That's pretty perfect - when the sun is out. It's still sort of chilly to me when it's overcast. I mean, the water feels good but for instance, floating around on a float is chilly. I guess because most of me is out of the water but wet. The sun is warm but it's like the air gets cooler when it goes behind a cloud.
have you been using the lounge chair on the sun deck? we are currently searching for a chair for putting on the sundeck. its been my position that its not necessary but my wife insists. we are having a little challenge finding an appropriate one since the water is 14 inches deep there. i knew all along that it was deep for a sun deck but i preferred that since id rather just sit or stand on the step. now i see that almost all sun deck appropriate chairs arent suitable for that depth.

Old 06-03-2020, 11:01 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Quote:
i dont really know what temperature is the right one yet (ill learn soon im sure) but in my experience im looking to be comfortable not refreshed. one of the best vacations we have taken was beaches in turks and caicos and a big part of that was how warm they kept the pool. when a pool is very warm, people freely enter and exit as they wish and it made it much nicer to seamlessly enter and exit the pool whenever.
You see, we are all different, my experience was just was just the opposite in Martinique!!! The temperature in the pool was like bath water and I was much happier in the water which was maybe in the 80's. I don't like it cold and rarely go into the water here until July as it is too cold for my liking, but I do like it to be just warm enough that when I get hot from reading and take a dip, it is refreshing.

Regardless, enjoy that gorgeous pool at any temperature.

Old 06-03-2020, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
You see, we are all different, my experience was just was just the opposite in Martinique!!! The temperature in the pool was like bath water and I was much happier in the water which was maybe in the 80's. I don't like it cold and rarely go into the water here until July as it is too cold for my liking, but I do like it to be just warm enough that when I get hot from reading and take a dip, it is refreshing.

Regardless, enjoy that gorgeous pool at any temperature.
definitely everyone has their own preferences. my wife has been telling everyone how warm it will be because we love it so warm. so now i have expectations that she has set for us. my neighbor had a $650 gas bill for may because he was heating the pool a lot, id like to avoid that if i can.

thanks! who knows, i may jump in tonight.

Old 06-03-2020, 12:48 PM

1,449 posts, read 1,145,915 times
In my experience & opinion (Southern California with low humidity, sunnys skies, and air temps in the upper 80's to 100+), water temp of 85-87 is ideal. With higher humidity, I think I'd be just fine with 83-84 because it's the evaporation on your skin that makes it feel too chilly, and you have less of that when humidity is high. Sounds silly, but I can tell (or at least I think I can) the difference in just a couple/few degrees. But yeah, to each his own.

Old 06-04-2020, 08:39 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
have you been using the lounge chair on the sun deck? we are currently searching for a chair for putting on the sundeck. its been my position that its not necessary but my wife insists. we are having a little challenge finding an appropriate one since the water is 14 inches deep there. i knew all along that it was deep for a sun deck but i preferred that since id rather just sit or stand on the step. now i see that almost all sun deck appropriate chairs arent suitable for that depth.
I have been using the heck out of the lounge chairs. But our water on the deck is only six inches deep. I think it will be hard to find chairs that work with a 14 inch deep sun deck. But you may want to try the polywood ones. At least they shouldn't fade or rust or fall apart sitting in water.

Old 06-04-2020, 08:41 AM

Quote:
definitely everyone has their own preferences. my wife has been telling everyone how warm it will be because we love it so warm. so now i have expectations that she has set for us. my neighbor had a $650 gas bill for may because he was heating the pool a lot, id like to avoid that if i can.

thanks! who knows, i may jump in tonight.
We just got our gas bill for heating the pool in May and it was only $68. That's "up" from the usual gas bill of around $40. But we only heated the water to 80 degrees and it's warmer here. It's supposed to be in the low 90s in fact today, and sunny so I will definitely be in that pool at some point!

Old 06-04-2020, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmerLernen View Post
In my experience & opinion (Southern California with low humidity, sunnys skies, and air temps in the upper 80's to 100+), water temp of 85-87 is ideal. With higher humidity, I think I'd be just fine with 83-84 because it's the evaporation on your skin that makes it feel too chilly, and you have less of that when humidity is high. Sounds silly, but I can tell (or at least I think I can) the difference in just a couple/few degrees. But yeah, to each his own.
Right - me too. And I agree about the humidity. Another thing that makes a big difference to me is whether it's sunny or overcast. For some reason, I can deal with it being a bit cooler if the sun is shining brightly but the minute it goes behind a cloud I'm like "Brrrrrr..." (This is with water around 82 degrees and the air about 85.)

Old 06-04-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I have been using the heck out of the lounge chairs. But our water on the deck is only six inches deep. I think it will be hard to find chairs that work with a 14 inch deep sun deck. But you may want to try the polywood ones. At least they shouldn't fade or rust or fall apart sitting in water.
do the polywood have screws or something that can rust? i dont see pictures of the chairs in the water on their web site. my wife wants something with a more modern look than what we have seen on their website though.

i have that semi-circle "conversation cove" in the deep end. my wife ordered a small table and umbrella for that. so i think that is the place to sit.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden