Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2020, 08:18 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
thats funny. most of our neighbors have pools so its not such a hot commodity here. but we are definitely having more people over now. my family was at someones house last night for a birthday party so no use of pool. though when my daughters got home around 745pm they asked to go in the pool.

water was 89 last night. which is a lot more impressive here where id say that is about 10 degrees warmer than if i didnt have it.
We have lots of pools too but for some reason kids want to try out OUR pool - in fact, one of the kids that did come over the other day (with his mom) has an inground pool. She said "I'm so sorry but he's always wanting to try out other pools!" Maybe he'll build one in his own back yard one day.

I don't mind it.

Pools are big here in Texas because of the long, hot summers. I just hope I can keep the water cool enough to enjoy in the summer. So far so good but next week the temps are going to be in the upper 90s every day with lots of sunshine so that will be the real test. It's great out there right now but it's still getting cool at night. Next week - not so much. LOL! But hence all the water features. Supposedly they will keep the water cooler. We've got a waterfall, two bubblers and two jets. I have a feeling they will be running quite a bit in the summer. I may regret not getting that chiller.

I can see the draw for the pool though. I had a friend ask if she could come over this weekend and get in the pool. We get in it every single day. I'm having friends over this evening in fact. And tomorrow! It's a little crazy but I like it so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2020, 08:27 AM

Quote:
pretty much everyone i know with a pool opened early this year thanks to coronavirus lockdowns. lots of people asking about getting a pool. my wife has had a bunch of people reach out to her.

some people even dream that they could get one for this summer. not happening for an in ground pool at this point.

Our pool builder said they were swamped with orders for pools this spring, which is great! They never missed a beat apparently.

I mean, they hit a little lag but it was very short - just the month of April basically when everyone was freaking out. I know several of our neighbors were asking about quotes and bids but put it off for April, and now they are not as concerned about the economy and want to begin in earnest - but I'd hate to be having my yard torn up - or be BUILDING a pool - in this Texas summer heat.

At least if they get it done by August they will get about two months of using it in, unless they put in a heater and then they might get more usage.

Old 06-12-2020, 07:31 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,122,405 times
I know at my sister's company, no one that is calling now for a pool will have it before next spring (possible summer at this point, haven't talked to her in a week). They are totally swamped! She'd need to hire a bunch more people immediately which isn't really easy in the pool biz (qualified guys) and then the insurance issues all change. It's a house of cards! But busy they are!

Old 06-13-2020, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
I know at my sister's company, no one that is calling now for a pool will have it before next spring (possible summer at this point, haven't talked to her in a week). They are totally swamped! She'd need to hire a bunch more people immediately which isn't really easy in the pool biz (qualified guys) and then the insurance issues all change. It's a house of cards! But busy they are!
Yep, I think people are feeling much better now about dropping that money than they were a few months ago. No regrets here!

The pool company we used here really recommended that we get under contract by November or so of last year to have a pool ready this year by the summer. It only took them five weeks from start to finish thankfully but like you said, there's a waiting list. They are completely backed up now for months and months.

They brought a couple out to see our pool the other day, which was nice. They had chosen our plaster and our tile and our shape of pool so that made sense.

Old 06-13-2020, 12:28 PM

OK I just had minor pool drama.

I went outside and heard some sort of dripping noise. Went around the side of the house to where the pool equipment is and saw water dripping significantly, almost simply running, out of the tall canister on the filter pump, which holds the chlorine tablets. I took a picture then turned the pump off and sent the photo to my husband as well as the pool builders.

My husband (who is really familiar with pumps and all that) immediately said, "Looks like the O ring is broken." So I opened the chlorine canister and sure enough, the O ring was broken. My husband then said, "It needs to stay lubricated - find that tube of lubricant the pool company left with the supplies." What? I didn't recall hearing anything about this - or ever seeing a tube of grease anywhere. And I couldn't find one.

So my husband said, "Go buy another O ring - not expensive - and several tubes of grease. They're right there by the cash register at the pool place." And they were, and they weren't expensive. I replaced the broken O ring with a lubricated one (what? OK) and turned the filter back on and bingo - no leak.

So - learning as I go along! I had no idea that these O rings need to be lubricated occasionally! Oh well, I have the grease now.

Pool guy is coming by in a bit to check on things but I bet it's fine.

Old 06-13-2020, 03:58 PM

4,536 posts, read 3,752,456 times
Quote:
got home last night and went swimming. water was 87 degrees.
What a beautiful pool, it really looks great! It’s wonderful when a plan and a vision turn into a reality. Is it even better than you expected? I’m guessing it is. Congratulations!

Old 06-14-2020, 10:49 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
LOVE this thread and especially all the photos -- Kathryn and CaptainNJ, just WOW to your gorgeous pools!

I think I mentioned long ago in this thread that I've thought about putting a semi-inground pool in my back yard -- the back yard alone is more than half an acre and mostly level (the whole lot is 1.29 acres and the back yard is at least half of that size). The expense of an in-ground pool doesn't make sense for me in New Hampshire (although LOTS of my neighbors have in-ground pools), but a semi-inground is MUCH more affordable (probably 20k when all is said and done) and could still look good. I'm thinking of something like this (except my pool would be a rectangle) -- if you google "images semi-inground pool" you can see lots of beautiful photos:

It definitely won't happen this year, but next year or 2022 are real possibilities. You have inspired me!

Old 06-14-2020, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
LOVE this thread and especially all the photos -- Kathryn and CaptainNJ, just WOW to your gorgeous pools!

I think I mentioned long ago in this thread that I've thought about putting a semi-inground pool in my back yard -- the back yard alone is more than half an acre and mostly level (the whole lot is 1.29 acres and the back yard is at least half of that size). The expense of an in-ground pool doesn't make sense for me in New Hampshire (although LOTS of my neighbors have in-ground pools), but a semi-inground is MUCH more affordable (probably 20k when all is said and done) and could still look good. I'm thinking of something like this (except my pool would be a rectangle) -- if you google "images semi-inground pool" you can see lots of beautiful photos:

It definitely won't happen this year, but next year or 2022 are real possibilities. You have inspired me!
I really like that and I agree, I would go with what makes the most sense TO YOU. Every situation is different - budget, soil type, usage, expectations, etc. For instance, we didn't put in a deep end (only goes to about 5.5 feet) because it's our yard, our pool, our usage and we wouldn't use that much, even though someone else might. Someone else might want a lap pool. Others may want a diving board. No wrong or right.

Just be sure you really level the land before you put in that pool!

Old 06-14-2020, 02:44 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I really like that and I agree, I would go with what makes the most sense TO YOU. Every situation is different - budget, soil type, usage, expectations, etc. For instance, we didn't put in a deep end (only goes to about 5.5 feet) because it's our yard, our pool, our usage and we wouldn't use that much, even though someone else might. Someone else might want a lap pool. Others may want a diving board. No wrong or right.

Just be sure you really level the land before you put in that pool!
Oddly, semi-inground pools (like the one in the photo I posted -- it's probably half-in, half-out of the ground) don't need level ground -- they can be installed on a slope (so one end of the pool would have more of its height above-ground while the other end would have more below-ground).

I just looked at the model I was dreaming about earlier -- at https://www.thepoolfactory.com/melen...0x54-oval.html -- but of course it's sold out (every one I looked on that site is sold out -- which doesn't surprise me after following this thread!). Good thing I couldn't do it this year anyway! (You can see their customer pictures here: https://blog.thepoolfactory.com/melenia-gallery .)

For that pool, it could be 27" underground (with the remaining 27" above ground). Some semi-inground pools can be installed with 36" underground. 27+27 would work fine for my use.

This thread has me dreaming ...

Old 06-15-2020, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Oddly, semi-inground pools (like the one in the photo I posted -- it's probably half-in, half-out of the ground) don't need level ground -- they can be installed on a slope (so one end of the pool would have more of its height above-ground while the other end would have more below-ground).

I just looked at the model I was dreaming about earlier -- at https://www.thepoolfactory.com/melen...0x54-oval.html -- but of course it's sold out (every one I looked on that site is sold out -- which doesn't surprise me after following this thread!). Good thing I couldn't do it this year anyway! (You can see their customer pictures here: https://blog.thepoolfactory.com/melenia-gallery .)

For that pool, it could be 27" underground (with the remaining 27" above ground). Some semi-inground pools can be installed with 36" underground. 27+27 would work fine for my use.

This thread has me dreaming ...

Let me tell you something - I am in that pool for at least an hour, usually two hours, every single day. Every. Single. Day. I just love it, that's the main thing - SO RELAXING. But I also can't imagine investing this much money and energy into something and then not using it. I mean, I get in and do about an hour of water aerobics, the first half hour being strenuous and the next half hour being more stretching and gentle movements, and then I spend another hour either floating around on a float or gently peddling around with a noodle or usually some combination of the two, listening to music. And I don't think I'm bothering any of my neighbors because neither to either side of me has a pool and I'm out there at the hottest time of the day, generally late afternoon and leading into the dinner hour. So they are inside and it's completely peaceful out there. I listen to the birds, and clear my mind of all the worries of 2020, and just relax, stretch, work out without bouncing on my old joints - LOL. It's FANTASTIC.

I really encourage anyone who can do this to DO IT.

Your pool ideas look lovely. I can't wait to see your project! I'm checking out their blog right now!

Oh so get this. Yesterday I was tired because I stayed up very late watching a VERY long movie the night before (Nicholas and Alexandra but I digress). I was supposed to go over to our neighbor's house and hang out with them yesterday evening, but I was so sleepy - and all I really wanted to do was get in that pool anyway. So I canceled on them! And got in the pool instead and totally rejuvenated myself! LOL I know - bad. But it was a super casual thing anyway, not even involving a meal, just hanging out, so I didn't feel so bad. And I wanted to get in that pool! I hadn't been in it all day and it was just calling my name. I told my husband that I'm getting pretty attached to getting in the pool from 4-6 every day now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden