Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2020, 07:42 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,351,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post

There's also a pool alarm if you have any interest... it let's you know if anything gets in the water. (not good if you have a pet that likes a frequent dip like my sister's goldens)

Sounds like you have a good handle on it.
After you play the patience game... enjoy!!! It will be worth it.
Thanks for the reminder about the pool alarm!

I have two big dogs - I'm going to have to see if they enjoy getting in the water. I think one of them might (lab mix who loves water but she's old - LOL).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2020, 08:56 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,506,869 times
did you post the plans? our pool digging is supposed to start 1/31/20. a little sooner than i expected so im trying to get some things moved asap. deepest is going to be 6 feet and shallow end will be 3 1/2 feet. my wife insisted it be shallow enough for my 5 year old to be able to stand. hopefully everything will go smoothly for me and you.

also, i went with a liner. that seems to be the most popular thing now even with high end companies that build a lot of gunite pools recommending it.

Old 01-21-2020, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
did you post the plans? our pool digging is supposed to start 1/31/20. a little sooner than i expected so im trying to get some things moved asap. deepest is going to be 6 feet and shallow end will be 3 1/2 feet. my wife insisted it be shallow enough for my 5 year old to be able to stand. hopefully everything will go smoothly for me and you.

also, i went with a liner. that seems to be the most popular thing now even with high end companies that build a lot of gunite pools recommending it.
I haven't posted the plans yet because I figured I'd let the HOA approve them first in case we have to make changes.

Good luck with the liner - seriously. I'm sure it will do great. We're sticking with gunite. We are friends with the people who are putting in the pool and they have all sorts of options available to them, and they went with gunite. Both options have their pros and cons but in the end I am sure both our pools will be beautiful!

We are looking at a start date of sometime in February and then if there's no weather drama (and there can be - but who knows) it should be finished in six weeks from the date they start digging. But we have to get it approved by the HOA (generally takes a couple of weeks) and then we have to change out our septic system from aerobic to drip, and THEN they can start on the pool, so I'm feeling like it may be March before it all lines out. Who knows. I've determined not to get too frustrated.

I called the pool company yesterday and told them "We're going out of the country on vacation in May. Do you think you will be done with the pool by then?" They said yes so we'll see.

Old 01-21-2020, 05:58 PM

10,026 posts, read 17,947,510 times
KA, this is SO exciting! I am jealous ... I would LOVE a pool (and my back yard alone is about 3/4 acre so I could definitely fit a big one) but alas, it doesn't make much sense in New Hampshire unless I could build a heated building around it!

I love reading through your HOUSE threads, whether about indoor projects (like your last kitchen, which I loved) or outdoor! So I eagerly await your progress.

Old 01-21-2020, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
KA, this is SO exciting! I am jealous ... I would LOVE a pool (and my back yard alone is about 3/4 acre so I could definitely fit a big one) but alas, it doesn't make much sense in New Hampshire unless I could build a heated building around it!

I love reading through your HOUSE threads, whether about indoor projects (like your last kitchen, which I loved) or outdoor! So I eagerly await your progress.
Thank you so much! When we moved and bought this house, it really doesn't need a lot of updating on the inside, but the yard (in Texas with it's long, hot summers) just SCREAMS for a pool. So I told my husband, "Ok, so unlike a kitchen or bathroom renovation, pools don't get a dollar for dollar return on investment for many years, so once we start digging, you better be sure we're here for at least ten years!"

Around here, after about two or three years, you can see about a 50 percent return on investment. After eight or ten years of course, unless there's a zombie apocalypse, we should be fine. But I'm not studying giving away a dang pool. LOL!

Thanks by the way about the kitchen update in our last house. We aren't going to do nearly as much in this house, but I am going to replace the back splash and some granite so I'll post those updates.

As for New Hampshire - wow, what a beautiful state. You're right, you'd need a heater for much of the year with a pool, but you can console yourself with your gorgeous falls! We get a bit of fall color here but it's still HOT here in September and not particularly cool here well into October. Ugh.

Old 01-21-2020, 08:38 PM

23,690 posts, read 9,273,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
We are going to go today to sign the contract to start on the pool project in our back yard! I'm nervous!

The plans do have to be approved by the HOA.

Pictures to come! Here is the back yard without the pool:
congrats,Kathryn.Good luck.

Old 01-22-2020, 03:25 AM

13,036 posts, read 17,943,521 times
Quote:
Thank you so much! When we moved and bought this house, it really doesn't need a lot of updating on the inside, but the yard (in Texas with it's long, hot summers) just SCREAMS for a pool. So I told my husband, "Ok, so unlike a kitchen or bathroom renovation, pools don't get a dollar for dollar return on investment for many years, so once we start digging, you better be sure we're here for at least ten years!"

Around here, after about two or three years, you can see about a 50 percent return on investment. After eight or ten years of course, unless there's a zombie apocalypse, we should be fine. But I'm not studying giving away a dang pool. LOL!

Thanks by the way about the kitchen update in our last house. We aren't going to do nearly as much in this house, but I am going to replace the back splash and some granite so I'll post those updates.

As for New Hampshire - wow, what a beautiful state. You're right, you'd need a heater for much of the year with a pool, but you can console yourself with your gorgeous falls! We get a bit of fall color here but it's still HOT here in September and not particularly cool here well into October. Ugh.
Will you have a fleur de lis design in the bottom or side? LOL

Old 01-22-2020, 05:01 AM

83,331 posts, read 74,662,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
it doesn't make much sense in New Hampshire unless I could build a heated building around it!
Quote:
As for New Hampshire - wow, what a beautiful state. You're right, you'd need a heater for much of the year with a pool, but you can console yourself with your gorgeous falls!
I'll never forget the year my neighbors were never in the pool (including summer) and when I asked them why they said "the water just isn't warming up". I thought to myself, what a waste a pool is around here if it doesn't have a heater. They finally started using it in August and it was literally for 1 month only that year. I think was 2014? You wont have that problem. lol

Old 01-22-2020, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Will you have a fleur de lis design in the bottom or side? LOL
Hmmmmmm.....!

You know what - they really do have those big vinyl things you can put on the bottom of a pool...

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....AC_SL1024_.jpg

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 01-22-2020 at 07:12 AM..

Old 01-22-2020, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I'll never forget the year my neighbors were never in the pool (including summer) and when I asked them why they said "the water just isn't warming up". I thought to myself, what a waste a pool is around here if it doesn't have a heater. They finally started using it in August and it was literally for 1 month only that year. I think was 2014? You wont have that problem. lol
No but around here we can have the opposite problem - the water can get too warm to be a nice cool pool because our summers are so long and hot. Sort of defeats the purpose. I have some friends who have a pool but their pool gets lots of sun since it faces west. Thankfully ours will get afternoon shade plus we're going to have several bubblers and jets and a waterfall to keep the water moving.

I just am not going to get a chiller. I am on the fence about a heater too but we can add that easily later. From what I hear, they really jack up the utility bills!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden