Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2020, 10:57 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post

this morning i notice these little deposits of like a rusty dirt. im not sure where they come from but im guessing they traveled in on feet but im not really sure where they picked them up.
I think Nuts2uiam is correct about it being metal salts used as fireworks colourant. If you examine the deposits patterns closely you'll see that stuff has splatter patterns from when it hit the ground, it's something that has fallen from above, not something that's from people's shoes.

Quote:

https://earthsky.org/human-world/how...vibrant-colors

The colors in fireworks are created by the use of metal salts. Metal salts commonly used in firework displays include: strontium carbonate (red fireworks), calcium chloride (orange fireworks), sodium nitrate (yellow fireworks), barium chloride (green fireworks) and copper chloride (blue fireworks).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2020, 11:56 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
i concur with your assessments. great job nuts2uiam!!

Old 07-04-2020, 02:17 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i concur with your assessments. great job nuts2uiam!!
The garage roof of our apartment was littered with the cardboard shells every year and the roof looked like sprinkles from the dye of the fireworks. Less anyone think this was dangerous, the fire department was on the roof with hoses to wet down if necessary.

Old 07-04-2020, 08:34 PM

20,104 posts, read 9,011,934 times
have you poached any eggs in the pool.

Old 07-05-2020, 06:37 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Ok so update!

Yesterday my husband and I "celebrated" by wearing patriotic colors and drinking two beers at lunch - LOL. It was very hot here. I got in the pool around 1 but my husband opted not to. The water temp was 87 which felt great but frankly, it was sort of boring in there knowing my husband was in the house! So later that evening we did our usual pool thing (around 5) but once again, we "celebrated" by only floating around - no laps or water aerobics!

Later that night, as fireworks went off all around us for hours and hours, we "celebrated" by turning on a patriotic light show in our pool. I love that I can control all that via an app on my phone - lights, speed, times, etc. So I felt patriotic.

No party here. We've entertained a lot this past week and we just felt like doing NOTHING. We were going to grill some salmon yesterday evening but we were still so full from lunch and those beers that we didn't even do that! I know - we're terrible.

There were way more fireworks around us than in previous years from what I understand - certainly more than there were at New Years (we didn't live here last July 4). Many were professional grade fireworks and we stood outside for a long time watching them over the tree line. I had to wonder if there were so many more since the local fireworks displays were shut down due to the ever present pandemic?

Old 07-05-2020, 08:14 AM

1,449 posts, read 1,147,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
There were way more fireworks around us than in previous years from what I understand - certainly more than there were at New Years (we didn't live here last July 4). Many were professional grade fireworks and we stood outside for a long time watching them over the tree line. I had to wonder if there were so many more since the local fireworks displays were shut down due to the ever present pandemic?
Sounds like our area! So many "mortars" and "cakes" (according to my 14-year old son who would really, really like setting off some of those) it was like being at Disneyland in our own neighborhood. We had a very respectable safe & sane version ourselves, but I was thinking it must be lots of people staying home for the holiday and spending their extra unemployment and/or stimulus checks!

Old 07-05-2020, 08:52 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmerLernen View Post
Sounds like our area! So many "mortars" and "cakes" (according to my 14-year old son who would really, really like setting off some of those) it was like being at Disneyland in our own neighborhood. We had a very respectable safe & sane version ourselves, but I was thinking it must be lots of people staying home for the holiday and spending their extra unemployment and/or stimulus checks!
I guess - I just sat back and enjoyed other peoples' money and effort - LOL.

Old 07-05-2020, 10:25 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
I'm a party pooper -- I don't mind municipal fireworks shows at all because they have a starting and ending point (at my last house, the fireworks show was literally right across the street from my house -- the across-the-street neighbor's house backed up on a field where baseball games are played and they always did the show after a game -- and I enjoyed it every year although my cats didn't!). I actually HATE fireworks in my neighborhood because they can go on and on, then stop for 10 minutes, then they start again for hours, etc., and you never know when they're going to end. In the master bedroom, I had an a/c unit on, a fan going, a noise machine going, earplugs in both ears, and a pillow over my head, and they still kept me up (this was likely around 11:30 p.m. or so). (Honestly, anything up until around 10 p.m.would have been OK, but after that, I just kept thinking, PLEASE give your neighbors a break!!)

But what I'm REALLY afraid of is that the same thing will happen tonight and I will be miserable because I'm having major surgery tomorrow morning and will have to get up at 4:30 a.m.

=======

Sorry to be such a grump, Kathryn! YOUR July 4th sounded wonderful.

Old 07-05-2020, 10:54 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I'm a party pooper -- I don't mind municipal fireworks shows at all because they have a starting and ending point (at my last house, the fireworks show was literally right across the street from my house -- the across-the-street neighbor's house backed up on a field where baseball games are played and they always did the show after a game -- and I enjoyed it every year although my cats didn't!). I actually HATE fireworks in my neighborhood because they can go on and on, then stop for 10 minutes, then they start again for hours, etc., and you never know when they're going to end. In the master bedroom, I had an a/c unit on, a fan going, a noise machine going, earplugs in both ears, and a pillow over my head, and they still kept me up (this was likely around 11:30 p.m. or so). (Honestly, anything up until around 10 p.m.would have been OK, but after that, I just kept thinking, PLEASE give your neighbors a break!!)

But what I'm REALLY afraid of is that the same thing will happen tonight and I will be miserable because I'm having major surgery tomorrow morning and will have to get up at 4:30 a.m.

=======

Sorry to be such a grump, Kathryn! YOUR July 4th sounded wonderful.
Prayers for a quiet and speedy recovery.

Old 07-06-2020, 08:46 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
the only time fireworks bothered me was when my youngest was a baby and the neighbors shot them off. this was in a community where homes were very close so it was highly likely to wake her up. even though it bothered me, its still their right to do it so i wasnt going to complain. it wasnt late or anything. where i live now, homes are pretty spaced out and my closest neighbor is a good friend so they were there for the show. one friend brought these crazy loud mortars that basically sent almost every small child into the house. so it was basically adults watching the show. it was all done by 930 or so, sun doesnt go down until about 9 so not much choice to be earlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden