Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2020, 03:06 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,684,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
I used to work for a surveying and civil engineering company. One day we were told to survey a property where they had just put in an in-ground pool. Turned out the corner of the pool was on the neighbor’s property. IIRC they had to pay the neighbor for an easement. Not sure if that included a lawsuit. Many people buy property without knowing their boundary lines. I think it pays to have a survey company come out and stake them.

You might be able to find rebar in the ground on the corners (if you don’t already know exactly where they are). The rebar will likely have a yellow cap. We used to use metal detectors to find the “points.”

Incidentally, property corners (in the front yard) are typically spaced 30’ from the center line of the road. People often don’t realize that.
so i did my measuring this morning and the side seems to be about 2-3 feet past my property line and the back 4-5 feet. so everything they did on thursday appears to have been a waste of time. in my mind, i can take responsibility for where it was supposed to connect to the house since my wife should have made sure they knew that. however, i think that giving the survey and saying to get as close to the property line as possible is fair instruction for a fence installer.

i called the surveyer who did my survey during my purchase to see if he can quickly come up and put some markers in where the fence goes. i tried to do a good job but i dont have wiggle room in the back of the property so i want to make sure its right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2020, 06:07 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
ok yes, i understand that you would have a lot of feelings and memories even in this brief period.

feel free to tell me to stop posting or locking the thread or whatever, you are the boss of this thread.
Oh no, it's all good! Keep posting, I am enjoying catching up with all of it.

Old 11-19-2020, 09:44 AM

i was looking through the pictures from when we did the home inspection before we bought our house and came across one of the backyard. i thought it would be cool to do a before/after comparison.

Old 11-19-2020, 10:51 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,064,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i was looking through the pictures from when we did the home inspection before we bought our house and came across one of the backyard. i thought it would be cool to do a before/after comparison.
All I can say is WOW. It looks fantastic -- and so much space for your family to enjoy!

My across-the-street neighbor has a tiny back yard but they just put in a pool (either above-ground or semi-inground but with a deck built around it -- it looks great). They made me realize how much I would love to have one. My unexpected early retirement (next summer instead of 5-7 years after that!) may dash my hopes, but if my retirement funds do well, I can dream ...

Old 11-19-2020, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
All I can say is WOW. It looks fantastic -- and so much space for your family to enjoy!

My across-the-street neighbor has a tiny back yard but they just put in a pool (either above-ground or semi-inground but with a deck built around it -- it looks great). They made me realize how much I would love to have one. My unexpected early retirement (next summer instead of 5-7 years after that!) may dash my hopes, but if my retirement funds do well, I can dream ...
thanks! it is interesting to look back at those pictures and see the difference we have made (and most of those trees were cut down by me).

hopefully your investments will have massive returns and you can have whatever you want.

Old 11-20-2020, 06:43 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,124,411 times
Looks great Capt!!

Old 11-20-2020, 10:49 AM

That looks fantastic, Cap'n!

After living with this pool for nearly a year, I can't imagine living without it. I have had several friends come over and pick my brain about having a pool built, maintenance, etc. and I've told every one of them that I absolutely love it and would absolutely do it all over again. Whenever I move, I will definitely miss this pool and will look for a place that has one or can accommodate one.

It's not cheap - not to build and not to maintain. It also requires weekly maintenance, by me. Sometimes more than once a week (if there's a storm, for instance, I need to skim out the leaves). The maintenance takes me about an hour each week and then about 15 minutes each day that I have to skim it, tops. But a pool is definitely not maintenance free, and it WILL run up your electric bill some. I told my latest friend who came over that IF she uses the pool regularly, it's definitely worth it in my opinion.

Old 11-21-2020, 09:08 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:

You could still probably get a Jacuzzi.

Old 11-22-2020, 07:27 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,064,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
You could still probably get a Jacuzzi.
Alas, I have zero interest in a hot tub -- I want to SWIM. I've looked into Endless Pools (don't know if Jacuzzi makes something similar) but they are ridiculously expensive for what they are. Our swim season is pretty short up here so in-ground pools make no sense at all (unless you buy a house that already has one), but a semi-in-ground would be much more affordable (and of course an above-ground very affordable, but I don't really want one of those). Alas, I have to wait and see how my finances do in retirement.

KA, I hope you get to enjoy your pool some more before you move. I really liked hearing about you and your hubby building it and then loving it!

Old 11-25-2020, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Alas, I have zero interest in a hot tub -- I want to SWIM. I've looked into Endless Pools (don't know if Jacuzzi makes something similar) but they are ridiculously expensive for what they are. Our swim season is pretty short up here so in-ground pools make no sense at all (unless you buy a house that already has one), but a semi-in-ground would be much more affordable (and of course an above-ground very affordable, but I don't really want one of those). Alas, I have to wait and see how my finances do in retirement.

KA, I hope you get to enjoy your pool some more before you move. I really liked hearing about you and your hubby building it and then loving it!
Thank you and of course the longer I live in this house, the more I love it, with or without my husband, so heck, I may just keep it awhile, who knows. I know that when the spring comes, I will be itching to get back in that pool! Thankfully we have a "pool season" here of about 6 months, so I do plan to get back in it regardless of whether I sell the house in the late spring or summer or whatever.

I hope you can get your pool!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden