U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2020, 12:06 PM

98 posts, read 52,398 times

Advertisements

Good for you. When I lived in Florida I had a pool. I joined a forum called Trouble Free Pool School, learned a lot. Enjoy your pool!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2020, 02:19 PM
Status: "Toute nation a le gouvernement qu'elle mérite." (set 10 days ago)

48,997 posts, read 39,206,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCakes572 View Post
Good for you. When I lived in Florida I had a pool. I joined a forum called Trouble Free Pool School, learned a lot. Enjoy your pool!
Thank you!!!!!!!!!

Plans are in and submitted to the HOA. So on to the next step of the process.

Old 02-05-2020, 02:39 PM

2,052 posts, read 1,947,281 times
We have an elaborate pool, and we love it.

Couple items I'd recommend...

- Since you're doing a rectangle, an automated retractable cover will keep your pool clean, eliminate evaporation, and also keep it cooler in the summer, and warmer in the fall and spring. Plus there is a huge safety factor as no one can fall into the pool when covered.

Our pool is saline, and we love it. Gentle on the skin/eyes, doesn't dry out skin, and the salt provides some buoyancy. Might want to reconsider.

Make sure the pool has auto-fill and auto-drain. Nothing worse then having to worry about your water level (too high or too low) when you're on vacation.

Pebble-tec finish looks great. We love it.

Old 02-06-2020, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
We have an elaborate pool, and we love it.

Couple items I'd recommend...

- Since you're doing a rectangle, an automated retractable cover will keep your pool clean, eliminate evaporation, and also keep it cooler in the summer, and warmer in the fall and spring. Plus there is a huge safety factor as no one can fall into the pool when covered.

Our pool is saline, and we love it. Gentle on the skin/eyes, doesn't dry out skin, and the salt provides some buoyancy. Might want to reconsider.

Make sure the pool has auto-fill and auto-drain. Nothing worse then having to worry about your water level (too high or too low) when you're on vacation.

Pebble-tec finish looks great. We love it.
Thank you for your suggestions!

We are going with the auto fill/auto drain option. I agree - I hate the idea of having to worry about the water level.

Not planning on a cover but may consider one in the future. It will be easy to add if we like. However, most pools in this area don't have covers, mainly because people keep the water features going most of the time. We are porch sitters and use our back yard about ten months out of the year and are looking forward to the sights and sounds of a pool just off our patio. We're not worried about anyone falling in because our grandkids are older and lived with a pool so they already know how to swim. Other visitors will be adults, who also know now to swim, thank goodness. We ARE going to have to train our dogs on how to get out if they fall in! LOL

We considered a saline pool but decided on a chlorine pool for various reasons. I'm sure they're nice too though.

I like the pebble tec finish but I also like the finish we chose.

I am so glad to hear that you love your pool! It sounds lovely. Where do you live?

Old 02-12-2020, 08:30 AM

25,225 posts, read 31,455,477 times
pool walls are up and plumbing set up. now we await plumbing inspection before moving forward.

upload pictures

Old 02-12-2020, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
pool walls are up and plumbing set up. now we await plumbing inspection before moving forward.

upload pictures
WOW! Oh my gosh, I hate to think how my back yard is going to look. If we ever get a response from the HOA.

Old 02-12-2020, 11:52 AM

25,225 posts, read 31,455,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
WOW! Oh my gosh, I hate to think how my back yard is going to look. If we ever get a response from the HOA.
well, its not going to look pretty but there could be less dirt. i had the guy leave the dirt because i need it to fill in the back and sides of my property. they would need to keep some dirt to backfill the outside of the pool but not nearly as much as is currently sitting there.

Old 02-12-2020, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
well, its not going to look pretty but there could be less dirt. i had the guy leave the dirt because i need it to fill in the back and sides of my property. they would need to keep some dirt to backfill the outside of the pool but not nearly as much as is currently sitting there.
Whew. They specifically stated they will be hauling away some dirt. I forgot about that - LOL.

I appreciate the photos though - keep em coming!

Old 02-13-2020, 11:07 AM

2,773 posts, read 1,892,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Whew. They specifically stated they will be hauling away some dirt. I forgot about that - LOL.

I appreciate the photos though - keep em coming!
Have landscaping costs in your budget. The pool builder will grade etc., and then the rest is up to you. With a new pool, you will want to showcase it with landscaping.

Old Yesterday, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Have landscaping costs in your budget. The pool builder will grade etc., and then the rest is up to you. With a new pool, you will want to showcase it with landscaping.
Oh you are absolutely right and believe me, it's built in. We've had to landscape a yard in the past and yes, it can really be expensive, even if you do it all yourself. I remember one time I caught this half price sale on shrubs and I bought 30 of them and had to make several trips to get them home - and then realized "I have to plant all these now."

On a bright note, we heard from the HOA last night and we are approved! So moving forward!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden