U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2020, 02:21 PM
Status: "We're all broken, that's how the light gets in." (set 10 days ago)

55,767 posts, read 44,134,562 times

Advertisements

OK here are some pictures - they are still working on the gunite though.
Attached Thumbnails
Well, we're about to do it!-pool-3-2-20-2-gunite.jpg   Well, we're about to do it!-pool-3-2-20-3-gunite.jpg  
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2020, 02:28 PM

29,865 posts, read 34,192,422 times
wow, less than 2 weeks after signing a deal you are ahead of me.

Old 03-02-2020, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
wow, less than 2 weeks after signing a deal you are ahead of me.
Awwww. Well, they got in a rush because we have three days of rain coming and they wanted to get the gunite in before the rain.

Someone asked me about all the pipes. Most of those are for a new sort of cleaning system, so no more pool robot thingie.

Old 03-02-2020, 04:31 PM

1,249 posts, read 736,965 times
Kathryn, are y'all going with limestone around the edges? I ask because we have limestone edging our pool, and we're not particularly happy with it. Tends to flake off into the pool a lot.

When we had our pool re-habbed, we moved to ceramic tile in the areas that would be in contact with the water, as we also changed from standard chlorine to a salt system. It's so much easier to keep the chemicals at the proper level now, and no more limestone flakes.

Enjoy your new pool. I sure love this one.

Old 03-02-2020, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkay66 View Post
Kathryn, are y'all going with limestone around the edges? I ask because we have limestone edging our pool, and we're not particularly happy with it. Tends to flake off into the pool a lot.

When we had our pool re-habbed, we moved to ceramic tile in the areas that would be in contact with the water, as we also changed from standard chlorine to a salt system. It's so much easier to keep the chemicals at the proper level now, and no more limestone flakes.

Enjoy your new pool. I sure love this one.
Yes, we are going with limestone edging but with ceramic tiles around the underside. I have never heard of anyone getting flakes from the limestone - not saying you're not telling the truth, just that we're going with what I swear just about every single pool owner around here goes with.

I can't remember the particulars now but we decided to go with a chlorine pool because for some reason it would work better with our soil or something or other - honestly I'm not sure why - LOL. But I mean, we discussed both options and our pool company DOES both options but we decided on chlorine after the discussion.

Old 03-03-2020, 05:36 AM

3,545 posts, read 2,993,240 times
Looking good!

Old 03-03-2020, 07:20 AM

OK so here's something I didn't know about - once the gunite is in, you have to wet the whole thing down twice a day. Honestly, that's more of a chore than I realized initially. It's not the watering that's the problem, it's that all the soil is so torn up that it's difficult and muddy as I'm dragging the wet, dirty hose around!

First World Problem.

Old 03-03-2020, 07:28 AM

3,292 posts, read 1,873,489 times
Hi Kathryn, I read a few pages at the first of this fun thread, then got busy and lost the thread and couldn't find it, and now I see there are a ton of pages in it. Very interested in the pool thing but don't know if you ever discussed cost at all. I'd love to have a ballpark figure for your particular situation (long straight shape with gunite and deep end) as we are househunting right now and trying to decide between places with pools already installed and ones where you'd have to put one in. And are you doing landscaping? What about costs for that? I know that varies incredibly but again a ballpark would be wonderfully helpful.

Old 03-03-2020, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Hi Kathryn, I read a few pages at the first of this fun thread, then got busy and lost the thread and couldn't find it, and now I see there are a ton of pages in it. Very interested in the pool thing but don't know if you ever discussed cost at all. I'd love to have a ballpark figure for your particular situation (long straight shape with gunite and deep end) as we are househunting right now and trying to decide between places with pools already installed and ones where you'd have to put one in. And are you doing landscaping? What about costs for that? I know that varies incredibly but again a ballpark would be wonderfully helpful.
I don't mind telling you. The pool, which is a bit larger than average, is costing us about $75,000. This includes a state of the art cleaning system (not the pool robot snake thing), which wasn't cheap - I want to say it was about $5000. Also, we didn't go with the cheapest bid, we went with the company with the best reputation. We got bids ranging from about $60k to about $80k.

Oh and this includes quite a bit of additional patio and a retaining wall.

Yes, we are doing landscaping, and also adding a pergola and a hot tub (separate costs from the pool - YMMV or you could do without it completely). I figure that the landscaping will cost an additional $10,000 max. OH - and we have to redo the septic and sprinkler systems - that's another $8000 or so. This is not a venture for the weak of heart or wallet!

From what I understand, we would see about a 50 percent ROI during the first three years. After that it goes up, reaching a full ROI (barring financial market disasters) in about ten years, and that's how long we plan to live here at least. This is just on the pool. We would probably see a full ROI for the septic, sprinkler, and landscape costs. The septic and sprinkler costs are fixed, but the landscape costs could vary a lot.

This makes sense - some good friends of ours considered building a pool but found a house with a pool (which needed some work to the tune of about $5000) and newer homes with existing pools were around $40k more than similar homes without pools.

We budgeted around $110,000 for the total yard extravaganza. One thing in our favor is that we bought the house below appraised value and also, it is one of the smaller homes in our subdivision, and many homes out here have pools, and a pool is more lift than drag in this price range and area - but this differs depending on a lot of factors.

We figure that in the first few years, the pool itself will add probably $50k in value and that it will go up gradually over time.

Old 03-04-2020, 07:13 AM

3,292 posts, read 1,873,489 times
Thanks so much for those figures. Nothing comes cheap, does it? It used to be 40-50 thousand; now it sounds like the price has pretty much doubled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden