Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2020, 07:36 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
My friend put in a pool here last summer and it was gunite with a deep end, no diving board and a huge 8 foot square hot tub that spills over to the pool. Stunning.
SWEET!

Our hot tub is going to be free standing, off to the side with a pergola, \ but we are going to have a tanning ledge (except we won't be tanning - LOL), then three steps down and then 3.5 to 5.5 feet. No diving board. We will have two lights and a waterfall and two bubblers and two jets. WOOHOOO! Gunite too. We are so excited!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2020, 08:11 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
here is the current status. its supposed to rain today so it may be filled with some gross water after today. im not sure how they deal with that, i guess they will have to pump it out to continue working.

while i am happy that progress is being made and ultimately know everything will be fine, seeing the condition today reminds me of 2 decisions that i was overruled on and im not thrilled with. 1. im not happy that there is a sundeck step that takes away space from my shallow end and 2. i am not happy that there is a deep end that further takes away from usable space.

here is a closer view of the sundeck. my wife said that it was smaller than she expected and im thinking that i dont want it at all. im not even sure what the point is of having it. there is zero chance im letting anyone stick a chair on it. so its just for people to stand in ankle/knee deep water. maybe good for babies but we dont have many of those around anymore.

Old 03-06-2020, 08:40 AM

also, we had put in a line of trees in fall 2018 at the side of the property. subsequent to that, i removed more large trees between the tree line and the property line, so i had about 20 feet of clear space there. i was ok with it but considering the amount of space taken by the pool and the need to fit the playset in there somewhere, i decided to move the trees. guy charged me 47.50 per tree. also, you can see the damage done to my grass and how much nicer everything looks in the summertime (i did manage to fill in that missing grass closer to the street by seeding last fall but its all gone now anyway).

Old 03-06-2020, 10:47 AM

so i knew the electrician was coming today to wire the pool up but a couple of hours ago i get a call that the liner may be installed. i didnt believe it especially since rain is expected but low and behold the liner is in and water is going in.

Old 03-06-2020, 06:32 PM

That's fantastic!

We have a sun deck too. But we don't have as deep a deep end. We also don't have a seat/ledge in the sun deck. I am definitely putting two chaise lounges in there with a table. They will be made of polywood so they don't scratch the plaster. I'll definitely use them. We also put it in because we have a lab and she LOVES water but she's old so she'll probably lay around in it. Even if she doesn't, that's OK - I wanted the sun deck.

But I think yours is going to be fine! Ours has a more gradual slope and only goes to about 5.5 feet deep. What are your measurements? Ours is 38 x 16. Eight feet of sun deck so 30 feet of swimming. BUT NO DIVING!!!!!!

Old 03-06-2020, 06:53 PM

its 38 x 16 also with that seat in the middle of the deep end. i didnt really want that either since it spoils the rectangle shape but my wife fell in love since they have one set up in the pool store with a table and umbrella. i think the sundeck is 5 feet long. the flat shallow area is about 12 feet long before it slopes to the deep end.

you reminded me of the dog. im hoping that ill be able to let her use the pool (nails are a potential issue with the liner though ive been told she should be fine). maybe she will hang out there.

Old 03-06-2020, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
its 38 x 16 also with that seat in the middle of the deep end. i didnt really want that either since it spoils the rectangle shape but my wife fell in love since they have one set up in the pool store with a table and umbrella. i think the sundeck is 5 feet long. the flat shallow area is about 12 feet long before it slopes to the deep end.

you reminded me of the dog. im hoping that ill be able to let her use the pool (nails are a potential issue with the liner though ive been told she should be fine). maybe she will hang out there.
Oh I really like that seat too - it adds some nice "flair."

I bet you will love it!

Old 03-06-2020, 09:03 PM

1,449 posts, read 1,145,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
yes, this is a steel wall construction with a liner. it seems to be recommended in my area even by the more high end pool builders who have typically done gunite pools. i like the feel of the liner vs the gunite and also the cost savings.
Thanks for explaining and posting your pics. I have heard about this type of pool construction, but have never had a visual. I think the steel wall + liner is more common than "concrete" in the area where we're house-hunting, so this is super helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh I really like that seat too - it adds some nice "flair."

I bet you will love it!
I agree with Kathryn! When all is said and done, I think you'll appreciate the seat more than you're anticipating.

Old 03-07-2020, 07:38 AM

Our yard looks like hell right now.

Oh well - time to water the gunite again - LOL! Dragging a muddy hose around a muddy yard. And it's not warm out there either. This takes about half an hour twice a day for a week.

Old 03-08-2020, 08:21 AM

we are having a disagreement on a decision. so we intend to put a small bathroom outside near the pool and there is a question of whether or not we should include a shower. so this bathroom would primarily be for visitors using the pool, having outdoor grill type food probably and hanging out at the house.

so one of us thinks that nobody will use the shower. that nobody showers when visiting friends at a pool for the day and then coming home in the evening. the other thinks that people will shower because it is conveniently there and they want to rinse off sunscreen, etc and may want to bathe their children. children in this group are presently young but mostly 5 years old and older.

so is anyone going to use the shower?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden