U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2020, 08:23 PM
Status: "We don't have to wait to start changing the world." (set 5 days ago)

48,348 posts, read 38,797,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
This is going to be exciting for you! We did a huge back yard redo two years ago. We started from scratch regrading the entire thing. We did not put in a pool, but we do have a spot for one now when we're ready. One of the things we did, that we're really happy about, is lighting. Part of the yard is forested and we up lit some of our favorite trees at the edge of the woods, we lit the new tumbled rock retaining wall and the stairs that go from one yard level to the next and up lit the house. It looks so good. We've got even more lights if we're actually having a party. We do entertain a lot. I had no idea how much value the new yard was going to bring to us.

I am excited to see your finished project!
That sounds GORGEOUS! I love when people add lighting to their landscaping - it's such a nice touch. We'd like to do a bit of that eventually too. Maybe you will post pictures!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2020, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Are you doing salt water or chlorine?

Those crepe myrtles are really pretty.
We are doing chlorine. About 80 percent of new pools in this area are chlorine.

I like the crepe myrtles but they are a dime a dozen around here and they grow quickly. We plan to try to transplant these to another area of our yard but if they don't make it we'll get some more.

I do think crepe myrtles are very pretty and I want to have some in our yard. Just not where they can drop leaves and blossoms into the pool! They are very messy near a pool. First they drop blossoms all summer long, then these odd little ball type things, and then leaves. But the good thing is that they bloom for MONTHS and are drought tolerant and love lots of sun, and they turn a pretty shade of orangey red (the leaves) during the fall. And I never do "crepe murder" - cutting the branches way back. I like the gnarly way they grow. I just thin them out some.

Old 01-15-2020, 09:27 PM

11,218 posts, read 10,772,226 times
Kathryn, having a pool is so worth it. Only I do not want to spend the $$ to construct one, I let the previous owners put that out lol I live in Texas too and everyone loves it. My daughter taught herself how to swim in it and she's the toast of her friends because she has one.

Too bad you didn't bother with saltwater. There is a noticable difference. The water absolutely feels softer and doesn't have that bleachy odor.

Also, our lot is a half acre but it doesn't look as large as yours, I don't think. We have a larger house, but it's a two story so the footprint isn't all that large. For some reason your hard seems really huge. Maybe it's also home placement. Ours is placed kind of in the middle of the lot.

Good luck.

Old 01-16-2020, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Kathryn, having a pool is so worth it. Only I do not want to spend the $$ to construct one, I let the previous owners put that out lol I live in Texas too and everyone loves it. My daughter taught herself how to swim in it and she's the toast of her friends because she has one.

Too bad you didn't bother with saltwater. There is a noticable difference. The water absolutely feels softer and doesn't have that bleachy odor.

Also, our lot is a half acre but it doesn't look as large as yours, I don't think. We have a larger house, but it's a two story so the footprint isn't all that large. For some reason your hard seems really huge. Maybe it's also home placement. Ours is placed kind of in the middle of the lot.

Good luck.
Thank you!

The vast majority of people around here go with chlorine and we were also worried about runoff and salt water killing the grass or our neighbors grass - that happened to some friends of ours so YIKES! When we get those five inch rains in one afternoon - well, that worries me. Not saying that salt water pools don't have many positives - we just felt more comfortable with a chlorine pool.

I told my husband that we have to live here at least ten years once we put the pool in! Because it is expensive and I sure don't want to buy it for someone else! Thankfully we got this house for a bit under appraised value and haven't done much to it, so we've got a little bit of cushion. From what we understand, in our market, a pool adds about 50 percent of it's cost to the value of a home when it's built. So I'd like for the values to keep increasing on the total property for another ten years! But right now, I feel like the totally blank back yard is more of a negative than a positive.

Our house is a bit over 2600 square feet but on just one story. It's built closer to the front property line than the back. So while the lot is 1/2 an acre, the back yard feels very, very large. Honestly, it begs "Put a pool in me!" So thank you, yes, I do believe we will!

Old 01-16-2020, 07:21 AM

8,339 posts, read 11,219,762 times
I am sooooo excited for you and all I can think of is how you will decorate the area! You know how much I love what you do.

Old 01-16-2020, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I am sooooo excited for you and all I can think of is how you will decorate the area! You know how much I love what you do.
LOL well thank you!

I'm not in my element with landscaping so much, though I love plants. But planning an outdoor area is new territory for me. I am realizing though that the outdoor furniture we have now looks sort of like crap. LOL

Old 01-16-2020, 08:30 AM

1,599 posts, read 510,813 times
KathrynAragon, I am so jealous!

It looks so nice! It's going to be so much fun!

While you still have green grass and leaves on trees, I'm listening to the weather reports for snow on Saturday!

Old 01-16-2020, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
KathrynAragon, I am so jealous!

It looks so nice! It's going to be so much fun!

While you still have green grass and leaves on trees, I'm listening to the weather reports for snow on Saturday!
LOL those pictures are from this past late summer! We don't have any leaves on the trees now, and it's gray and rainy outside and our grass is dormant!

Old 01-16-2020, 09:50 AM

1,599 posts, read 510,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOL those pictures are from this past late summer! We don't have any leaves on the trees now, and it's gray and rainy outside and our grass is dormant!
Are you just trying to cheer me up? LOL

Old 01-16-2020, 10:56 AM

6,924 posts, read 3,933,991 times
I just got all excited for you, Kathryn! Can almost feel the excitement you must be feeling. And I do believe it's a well-deserved treat after the last couple of years you've soldiered your way through. Whew!

You wouldn't mind if I spent a couple of years on a floatie in your back yard would you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden