Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2020, 01:45 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,459,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Personally, would stick with the pool guy. That way at least you will have something to fall back on if something goes wrong. Once you involve outsiders, especially ones who are not familiar with a pool, IMO you are asking for trouble.
that is my natural tendency but pool guy said that he has only done about 5 waterfalls of that style (probably not even true) while he has done thousands of natural rock waterfalls. 95% of that project is basically a wall, something my mason has the most experience with. adding the waterfall feature seems relatively simple, there is already a pipe there for the water so just need to place the waterfall products and connect them to the pipe. ive talked to the pool guy several times and sent him several pictures of what i want; each time is like the first time and he promised to drop off a catalog several weeks ago and hasnt. so i dont trust him to come through in a timely manner if at all.

he only called me today because i emailed the pool company yesterday about the credit and he asked if i wanted waterfall guy to call me so he told him to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2020, 02:20 PM

pool guy just sent me over a catalog for a tile company:

https://view.flipdocs.com/?ID=10007320_820046

its not so simple because they dont focus on waterfalls and there are lots of tiles pictured by themselves and not in real life photos. im not really sure how the cost would compare vs paver guy. im not 100% sure i want to present this to my wife, who knows if she will fall in love with the most expensive thing in the catalog. i guess i kind of have to, hopefully she wont fall in love.

Old 05-07-2020, 09:37 AM

67,666 posts, read 60,184,669 times
Well, we finally got in the pool yesterday - and ended up in there for hours! OMG, I am so glad we did it. I am about to get back out there this morning!

It's too cool yet to turn on the water features because they cool the water and we have had to turn the heater on just a bit. It's a little chilly still when the sun isn't shining down on the pool. It's more in the shade in the morning before 10 and in the late afternoon after about 5. I can't wait to use it at night but the temps need to get on up there before we do that!

Old 05-07-2020, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, we finally got in the pool yesterday - and ended up in there for hours! OMG, I am so glad we did it. I am about to get back out there this morning!

It's too cool yet to turn on the water features because they cool the water and we have had to turn the heater on just a bit. It's a little chilly still when the sun isn't shining down on the pool. It's more in the shade in the morning before 10 and in the late afternoon after about 5. I can't wait to use it at night but the temps need to get on up there before we do that!
woohoo! the payoff. i think its definitely the right summer to have done this.

Old 05-07-2020, 10:13 AM

what kind of outdoor seating have you picked up for the pool? we are thinking of moving the 2 lounge chairs from the deck and adding 2 more so we have 4 by the pool and maybe 4 dining style chairs. these are the dining chairs i have on the deck, id like to get the same ones (but id really like to get ones that look the same but are cheaper).

https://www.rstbrands.com/Portofino-...ir-Laguna-Blue

Old 05-07-2020, 07:18 PM

22,181 posts, read 29,140,378 times
OMG you two are making me want to build a pool in our backyard. BUT I'd have to figure out the spying rear neighbors first!!!

Old 05-08-2020, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
OMG you two are making me want to build a pool in our backyard. BUT I'd have to figure out the spying rear neighbors first!!!
Haha! Can you build a taller fence back there? LOL

Old 05-08-2020, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
what kind of outdoor seating have you picked up for the pool? we are thinking of moving the 2 lounge chairs from the deck and adding 2 more so we have 4 by the pool and maybe 4 dining style chairs. these are the dining chairs i have on the deck, id like to get the same ones (but id really like to get ones that look the same but are cheaper).

https://www.rstbrands.com/Portofino-...ir-Laguna-Blue
Ooh, I like those!

We had cushioned stuff before but to me, considering that we have torrential rainfalls at times as well as high winds, it was a pain in the butt because I want to take it all up when rain is forecast.

But you are so right about the NUMBER of chairs - lordy! And they are not cheap.

We went with the Emory swivel rockers from Homecrest and we had to order EIGHT of them. Four for the firepit and four for around the big table.
Outdoor Patio Furniture | Emory | Homecrest Outdoor Living

Then we got two chaise lounges from that Polywood collection - those are for the tanning ledge. Oh wow, we love those! SUPER comfy!
https://www.polywood.com/south-beach-chaise.html?polywood_frame_color=57&utm_source=goo gle&utm_medium=smart_shopping&utm_campaign={campai gn}&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQjwhtT1BRCiARIsAGlY51LC_p pxyQh34ShM5LY9RedrChJC86XmrsjFjX2SLcq5Vz0IB_HaHLga AugJEALw_wcB

We already had four of these, so we have two on either side of the pool:
https://www.athome.com/wicker-chair-...124227106.html

So wow, we have a lot of seating but it doesn't look crowded. This doesn't include the four chairs that we have under the covered patio in a separate seating area! So I believe we have a total of 18 places to sit, and this doesn't include the seating that's on top of the retaining wall. Oh and we have a hammock! LOL it's ridiculous. But it's a big back yard and a big pool area.

Our oldest daughter sent me some lighted lily pads with flowers -they float. She sent them to me for what I call Mommy Day. Precious!

I just ordered a set of coconut drink thingies and little paper umbrellas! LOL We are having a little get together next week.

Old 05-08-2020, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Ooh, I like those!

We had cushioned stuff before but to me, considering that we have torrential rainfalls at times as well as high winds, it was a pain in the butt because I want to take it all up when rain is forecast.

But you are so right about the NUMBER of chairs - lordy! And they are not cheap.

We went with the Emory swivel rockers from Homecrest and we had to order EIGHT of them. Four for the firepit and four for around the big table.
Outdoor Patio Furniture | Emory | Homecrest Outdoor Living

Then we got two chaise lounges from that Polywood collection - those are for the tanning ledge. Oh wow, we love those! SUPER comfy!
https://www.polywood.com/south-beach-chaise.html?polywood_frame_color=57&utm_source=goo gle&utm_medium=smart_shopping&utm_campaign={campai gn}&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQjwhtT1BRCiARIsAGlY51LC_p pxyQh34ShM5LY9RedrChJC86XmrsjFjX2SLcq5Vz0IB_HaHLga AugJEALw_wcB

We already had four of these, so we have two on either side of the pool:
https://www.athome.com/wicker-chair-...124227106.html

So wow, we have a lot of seating but it doesn't look crowded. This doesn't include the four chairs that we have under the covered patio in a separate seating area! So I believe we have a total of 18 places to sit, and this doesn't include the seating that's on top of the retaining wall. Oh and we have a hammock! LOL it's ridiculous. But it's a big back yard and a big pool area.

Our oldest daughter sent me some lighted lily pads with flowers -they float. She sent them to me for what I call Mommy Day. Precious!

I just ordered a set of coconut drink thingies and little paper umbrellas! LOL We are having a little get together next week.
im with you on the cushions. my wife found some similar looking chairs and i said that we should avoid cushions. of course, she still wants cushions but said she will pick them up from christmas tree shops.

so i think she ordered these:

https://www.wayfair.com/outdoor/pdp/...piid=386929405

that polywood looks really nice and pricey. at this point, im not putting any chairs on my sundeck space but we will see. my liner isnt as safe for that kind of stuff as your gunite.

Old 05-08-2020, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
im with you on the cushions. my wife found some similar looking chairs and i said that we should avoid cushions. of course, she still wants cushions but said she will pick them up from christmas tree shops.

so i think she ordered these:

https://www.wayfair.com/outdoor/pdp/...piid=386929405

that polywood looks really nice and pricey. at this point, im not putting any chairs on my sundeck space but we will see. my liner isnt as safe for that kind of stuff as your gunite.
Y'all will probably be very happy with those chairs - I think they look good!

I did buy lots of loose outdoor pillows from a couple of places but they are easy to take up (and I do take them up). I just can't stand waiting around for seat cushions to dry out.

Yes, the Polywood chaise lounges were pricey but they are a focal point, and they will never fade which is nice. Not to mention that we absolutely LOVE sitting out on them in the sun, and it's not even summertime yet! What's really nice is that they get some filtered light rather than straight up sun in the late afternoon when it's hottest.

They were definitely a splurge though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden