U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2020, 08:19 AM

27,757 posts, read 32,976,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, so far what we're doing is taking in a sample of water once a week and they tell us what to add. I mean, we had "pool school" and I was fine with all the other stuff (checking chlorine, cleaning skimmers, filters, etc.) but when it came to the chemicals, my brain shut down during that science course! I mean, I guess I could just dip the strip into the water but there's a lot more to it than that actually.

We have two friends (married) who are both scientists - one works in oil and gas and one works with cosmetics and creams, that sort of thing, so they are very familiar with testing, chemicals, etc. They tried for three years to manage their own pool's chemical levels. But the wife called me the other day and said, "Girl, don't let it get out of whack, because then it takes a lot to get it back into shape. And don't try to do it yourself."

She and her husband finally gave up after their pool slid out of control several times.

Anyway, this is the really rainy, stormy season here in Texas and I already have found out that it takes a solid day (off and on, not working non stop) to get the pool "back into shape" after a big storm. And this is WITH taking a water sample into the pool place, which we're about to do now (it didn't storm much but it rained the last two days).

I'm planning to get into that pool a LOT this week though so it's totally worth it. Highs are projected to be in the mid to upper 80s this whole week!
you have regular chlorine right, not salt water? i heard that saltwater is easier but i dont know. my neighbor uses a pool service and i figure if he is willing to pay someone else to do it then im probably going to be in the same boat as him. i think he has more issues though because his backyard gets very little sun and he is lots of trees all over it. my pool gets sun all day and the trees are far enough to not be a huge issue.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2020, 08:55 AM
Status: "Tell your loved ones you love them." (set 4 days ago)

54,446 posts, read 42,615,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
you have regular chlorine right, not salt water? i heard that saltwater is easier but i dont know. my neighbor uses a pool service and i figure if he is willing to pay someone else to do it then im probably going to be in the same boat as him. i think he has more issues though because his backyard gets very little sun and he is lots of trees all over it. my pool gets sun all day and the trees are far enough to not be a huge issue.
Yes, we have regular chlorine. After a few years of excitement over saltwater pools in this area, they've decreased significantly due mostly to the damage they caused overall pool systems and yards. Maybe the technology has changed, I don't know, but they ended up with a bad rap around here.

So far we've been fine with taking the sample in each week - the store isn't very far from us and we can pick up any chemicals we need (we got a big starter kit but we went ahead and bought extra chlorine tablets for instance). I like that they just test the water, give us a printout and tell us exactly what to add. After we add everything (we generally have to wait 15 minutes between additions and it's usually about 4 different types of additives)_we can swim in 15 additional minutes but personally I'd wait for at least half an hour. That being said, I never notice any sort of chemical odor from the pool.

It's $70 a week for a "pool boy" around here generally, though you can get some sort of deal for about $200 a month as well.

Old 05-18-2020, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Yes, we have regular chlorine. After a few years of excitement over saltwater pools in this area, they've decreased significantly due mostly to the damage they caused overall pool systems and yards. Maybe the technology has changed, I don't know, but they ended up with a bad rap around here.

So far we've been fine with taking the sample in each week - the store isn't very far from us and we can pick up any chemicals we need (we got a big starter kit but we went ahead and bought extra chlorine tablets for instance). I like that they just test the water, give us a printout and tell us exactly what to add. After we add everything (we generally have to wait 15 minutes between additions and it's usually about 4 different types of additives)_we can swim in 15 additional minutes but personally I'd wait for at least half an hour. That being said, I never notice any sort of chemical odor from the pool.

It's $70 a week for a "pool boy" around here generally, though you can get some sort of deal for about $200 a month as well.
i think my neighbor said he pays $30/week. im open to do it myself if its easy enough. i moved into my house 3 years ago and ive done a lot of yard maintenance over the years. i notice now that since ive gotten things closer to what i want, i have less yard work to do. so im ok with picking up a little pool work so long as its not too much.

Old 05-18-2020, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i think my neighbor said he pays $30/week. im open to do it myself if its easy enough. i moved into my house 3 years ago and ive done a lot of yard maintenance over the years. i notice now that since ive gotten things closer to what i want, i have less yard work to do. so im ok with picking up a little pool work so long as its not too much.
That's how I feel about it and so far it hasn't been difficult at all - well worth it, I'd say!

I did come home and realize that apparently a whole bunch of some sort of flying bugs got into my water, so I had to scoop them out. That was a bit unusual but it's not like it was hard.

Old 05-19-2020, 02:21 PM

456 posts, read 1,591,030 times
Kathryn and Captain, both your pools are gorgeous! I'm so jealous We are seriously considering getting a fiberglass pool but don't have a big budget, checked out a local pool builder who sells the kits which includes the shell and basic equipment with starting points around 20k. With installation, permits, landscape, we'd probably be looking at 35-40k. Don't want to do a loan but may have to-will probably start the build next spring but it's great watching ya'll's build!

Old 05-20-2020, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAB6120 View Post
Kathryn and Captain, both your pools are gorgeous! I'm so jealous We are seriously considering getting a fiberglass pool but don't have a big budget, checked out a local pool builder who sells the kits which includes the shell and basic equipment with starting points around 20k. With installation, permits, landscape, we'd probably be looking at 35-40k. Don't want to do a loan but may have to-will probably start the build next spring but it's great watching ya'll's build!
i really liked the concept of a fiberglass pool. i probably would have gone for it if there was a local builder who did them.

one thing i learned about this is that my pool can be bought as a kit online and that is basically what my pool company does. they just buy a kit that anyone can buy online and their part is the installation. the kit is less than $6k here:

https://www.poolwarehouse.com/shop/1...ming-pool-kit/

Old 05-20-2020, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAB6120 View Post
That sounds like a plan to me! Please keep us posted!!!!

My advice would be to check out what options are the most common in your area for your soil type. There are lots of variations.

Old 05-20-2020, 08:12 AM

OK pool update - I found a drowned mouse in our pool this morning! YIKES! Thank goodness for long skimmers. LOL

We have spent at least an hour in our pool every single day that it hasn't been raining (which is most days). Cloudy, sunny, morning, evenings, doesn't matter. Yesterday evening we had some neighbors over with kids and it was great to hear those kids squealing and playing in the pool! Everything is working great.

I am already as brown as a nut.

Got our first "post build" electric bill and the pool company was right - it did run the bill up probably $75 to run the filter, maybe a bit less, I don't know. No more than that. Totally worth it.

Old 05-20-2020, 02:55 PM

9,671 posts, read 12,292,733 times
Quote:
OK pool update - I found a drowned mouse in our pool this morning! YIKES! Thank goodness for long skimmers. LOL

We have spent at least an hour in our pool every single day that it hasn't been raining (which is most days). Cloudy, sunny, morning, evenings, doesn't matter. Yesterday evening we had some neighbors over with kids and it was great to hear those kids squealing and playing in the pool! Everything is working great.

I am already as brown as a nut.

Got our first "post build" electric bill and the pool company was right - it did run the bill up probably $75 to run the filter, maybe a bit less, I don't know. No more than that. Totally worth it.
And as a person who unfortunately does not have kids, that is the ultimate proof of it being worth every penny. So glad you are able to enjoy.

Old 05-21-2020, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
And as a person who unfortunately does not have kids, that is the ultimate proof of it being worth every penny. So glad you are able to enjoy.
Thank you! By the way, have I already told you how much I love Rehoboth Beach?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden