U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2020, 01:54 PM
Status: "We don't have to wait to start changing the world." (set 7 days ago)

48,428 posts, read 38,825,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Are you just trying to cheer me up? LOL
No, ugh, it is super ugly here right now. Lots of rain and it's gray and chilly. Blech.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2020, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I just got all excited for you, Kathryn! Can almost feel the excitement you must be feeling. And I do believe it's a well-deserved treat after the last couple of years you've soldiered your way through. Whew!

You wouldn't mind if I spent a couple of years on a floatie in your back yard would you?
Haha! Come on! And thank you. Yes, it's been a really tough few years around here. I am ready for a break! And a pool and a floatie!

My husband just had a physical and he aced it too - we both got so stressed out over the past few years that his health also took a hit. So we were both really glad to know he's apparently recovered. Me too. Now for the pool!

Old 01-18-2020, 07:38 PM

2,476 posts, read 2,044,004 times
What a great setting for a pool! I’m jealous!!

Don’t let the stress of the next few months get to you. But be prepared for the potential for a few frustrating delays. You’ll be dealing with county folks that move slow and likely overworked, gas folks, and a contractor who may be struggling to keep the crew away from the home builders in your area. We had two neighbors last year put in pools from two totally separate companies. Each were delayed by a couple months of target completion due to a variety of hiccups associated with just how busy the home building industry is these days. Tile guys were in huge demand. Gas lines weren’t large enough to support the heater of the pool which triggered lots of county and state inspections, delays getting the proper equipment from another job site that was behind due to losing crew to better paying gigs in home building, that sort of stuff. Granted I’m speaking from DC where Amazon HQ2 has caused even more tightening of the housing inventory and builders are everywhere, but hearing similiar in other markets too. It’ll get done and be awesome! But go into this with some expectations of delays. Better to be pleasantly surprised than upset...

Old 01-19-2020, 10:13 AM

2,723 posts, read 1,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
What a great setting for a pool! I’m jealous!!

Don’t let the stress of the next few months get to you. But be prepared for the potential for a few frustrating delays. You’ll be dealing with county folks that move slow and likely overworked, gas folks, and a contractor who may be struggling to keep the crew away from the home builders in your area. We had two neighbors last year put in pools from two totally separate companies. Each were delayed by a couple months of target completion due to a variety of hiccups associated with just how busy the home building industry is these days. Tile guys were in huge demand. Gas lines weren’t large enough to support the heater of the pool which triggered lots of county and state inspections, delays getting the proper equipment from another job site that was behind due to losing crew to better paying gigs in home building, that sort of stuff. Granted I’m speaking from DC where Amazon HQ2 has caused even more tightening of the housing inventory and builders are everywhere, but hearing similiar in other markets too. It’ll get done and be awesome! But go into this with some expectations of delays. Better to be pleasantly surprised than upset...
Pool builders work on their own schedule, they are building multiple pools and much is determined by the availability of their different crews and the weather. We had our pool built > two years ago and while it can take months from start to finish, the actual work is around 8 full work days, the rest of the time is waiting.

It’s an amazing process to watch, take and post pics along the way. Pools aren’t a need, but in the South they sure can feel like it! Congratulations Kathryn!

Old 01-20-2020, 08:08 AM

Thanks, all. I'm already dealing with a bit of frustration because the plans haven't even made it from our pool contractor to the HOA yet.

I've got news for them. We are going on a big vacation in May. They better be done by then. Or just get used to the idea of waiting on full payment. I really don't want to leave our back yard all jacked up but we are going out of the country so there's that.

I know that seems far away but let's break it down:

Once the plans get to the HOA I expect at least a two week delay there. That puts us well into February since we don't even have the plans yet. Then we have to get the septic drip system put in first - that will be at least two weeks. That puts us up to March. Then it takes six weeks at least. That's not factoring in weather delays. Hm.

Old 01-20-2020, 08:24 AM

2,909 posts, read 2,527,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Thanks, all. I'm already dealing with a bit of frustration because the plans haven't even made it from our pool contractor to the HOA yet.

I've got news for them. We are going on a big vacation in May. They better be done by then. Or just get used to the idea of waiting on full payment. I really don't want to leave our back yard all jacked up but we are going out of the country so there's that.

I know that seems far away but let's break it down:

Once the plans get to the HOA I expect at least a two week delay there. That puts us well into February since we don't even have the plans yet. Then we have to get the septic drip system put in first - that will be at least two weeks. That puts us up to March. Then it takes six weeks at least. That's not factoring in weather delays. Hm.

Usually it's going to be more weather dependent than anything (and obtaining permits and inspections and how fast/slow the city is). Around here, We can have flooding, etc in the spring and the one day it clears up everyone is calling and asking if that pool will be dug that day. It can't. When you get so many feet down into the ground it's still too wet to dig without it filling with water or the sides collapsing in. You should never have to make the final payment until it's done.

The fact that you're not going too deep should really help if there is a lot of rain.
You'll love it tho! And so many more landscaping/hardscaping things you can do if you want.

Old 01-20-2020, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
Usually it's going to be more weather dependent than anything (and obtaining permits and inspections and how fast/slow the city is). Around here, We can have flooding, etc in the spring and the one day it clears up everyone is calling and asking if that pool will be dug that day. It can't. When you get so many feet down into the ground it's still too wet to dig without it filling with water or the sides collapsing in. You should never have to make the final payment until it's done.

The fact that you're not going too deep should really help if there is a lot of rain.
You'll love it tho! And so many more landscaping/hardscaping things you can do if you want.
Yes, I am really looking forward to the landscaping and being able to look across a beautiful back yard!

It will get done, and I'm just going to have to roll with the punches. No telling what the weather will do but we often get soaking, huge rains in the spring.

I am so glad we're not going all that deep too, for a lot of reasons. I want to mainly use the pool for relaxing, and for water aerobics, and my husband wants to use it mainly for relaxing and swimming laps so a depth of 5 feet seems good. I need to order some "No Diving" signs! LOL Seriously though, I am going to put some up!

Old 01-20-2020, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Yes, I am really looking forward to the landscaping and being able to look across a beautiful back yard!

It will get done, and I'm just going to have to roll with the punches. No telling what the weather will do but we often get soaking, huge rains in the spring.

I am so glad we're not going all that deep too, for a lot of reasons. I want to mainly use the pool for relaxing, and for water aerobics, and my husband wants to use it mainly for relaxing and swimming laps so a depth of 5 feet seems good. I need to order some "No Diving" signs! LOL Seriously though, I am going to put some up!

You are DEFINITELY going to have to put those no diving signs up. I used to work for a pool company (my sis & bro in law own one) and if you have a shallow pool... yup... signs... and a good yelling voice!

Old 01-20-2020, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
You are DEFINITELY going to have to put those no diving signs up. I used to work for a pool company (my sis & bro in law own one) and if you have a shallow pool... yup... signs... and a good yelling voice!
LOL right.

Also, no diving board, of course.

Also, it's just my husband and me living here. Our grandkids, who are all over age 10 (and know how to swim - and had an inground pool in the past) don't live nearby so we will always be home if they're here. Childproof locks and a privacy fence. I'm trying to think of everything! But I am definitely going to put up some safety signs.

Old 01-21-2020, 08:19 AM

Quote:
LOL right.

Also, no diving board, of course.

Also, it's just my husband and me living here. Our grandkids, who are all over age 10 (and know how to swim - and had an inground pool in the past) don't live nearby so we will always be home if they're here. Childproof locks and a privacy fence. I'm trying to think of everything! But I am definitely going to put up some safety signs.

There's also a pool alarm if you have any interest... it let's you know if anything gets in the water. (not good if you have a pet that likes a frequent dip like my sister's goldens)

Sounds like you have a good handle on it.
After you play the patience game... enjoy!!! It will be worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden