U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2020, 08:50 AM

27,705 posts, read 32,970,922 times

Advertisements

im expecting my education in person tuesday but who knows. the pool company came yesterday to shock the pool and today is is much better looking than yesterday. its raining a lot right now so i hope that doesnt harm the process of the chemicals working.

the pool company woman told me to leave the filter running 24 hours and when i get home their technicians left it off. they also didnt get the skimmers going. so i dont have a ton of faith in them. we had friends over last night and he has a pool, he noticed that there seems to be something open in the pipe that may be preventing the skimmers from getting the suction. ill see if i can find a part tomorrow or later if it stops raining.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2020, 09:07 AM

3,391 posts, read 2,827,934 times
They usually run a "pool school" for you personally when the pool is completed and usually give you a pool care manual that they themselves put together to help you along.

I know that right now, most inground pool companies are scrambling. I haven't seen the likes of it in the 35 yrs or more that my sis has had the company. There's no way they can do all the pool sales calls coming in without hiring a few entire crews (which ain't gonna happen). I transcribe her VMs for her and I've never seen it this busy. I feel bad for the people calling in with probs like a broken pump or filter or some such.

Unfortunately, their supplier is screwing up a bunch of her orders and parts to a pool kit or steps that she should be able to get in 2 days, she's having to call them after 10 days and ask where the parts are... they have subcontractors and all already scheduled just to find out the supplier never put the order in. It's crazy right now.
You guys are both really fortunate to have gotten your pools done as quick and well as you have right now!
And Capt...if they get out there today and show you what to do it should be fine in time.

Old 05-23-2020, 09:29 AM

54,369 posts, read 42,603,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Just coincidentally, my grandson is a marketing major in college and his dad is GM of a store that sells pools, and chemicals. My grandson has narrated their pool school, which is available online because of the pandemic. I enjoyed listening to it, since I still think of him as a chubby kid. He’s still chubby, but he does a good job of explaining.

I’m guessing that most other companies, like the one you and Captain nj deal with have something similar? If it were me, I’d probably need to listen to it 100 times to get everything straight.
LOL! I am laughing because I did have the guy who did the original "pool school" come back out and go over it again with me. But I was OK - I just needed some reassurance I guess. He said it's very common to have to go back out.

But my eyes completely glazed over when he started talking about how to test the water - it was like going back to chemistry class, which I wasn't good at to begin with. But then he said "Or you can just take a water sample in once a week." That's the part I heard! THE BEST PART.

Basically here's the maintenance schedule:

Once a day - skim the leaves or whatever out of the pool. I actually probably do that twice a day but like I said, I'm anal about it. Also, I find it relaxing to do, especially in the morning.

Also once a day - clean out the skimmer/filter thingie. If the truth be known, I do that about every two or three days.

And this isn't mandated but I'm doing it anyway, because I really enjoy the smooth surface of the plaster - I'm brushing down the pool's bottom once a day and the sides once a week or so. Proactive rather than reactive. No one told me to do that but I do it anyway. Probably overkill there.

Once a week - Take water sample to shop, and add what they recommend, which is always two bags of shock, chlorine tablets and the algae stuff. They also usually recommend that we add 1/4 a gallon of muriatic acid once a week to address the PH balance - whatever that means. It's easy thank goodness!

Also once a week, check the other filter at the pump, and that's also where we check the chlorine tablets.

So far so good!

Old 05-23-2020, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
They usually run a "pool school" for you personally when the pool is completed and usually give you a pool care manual that they themselves put together to help you along.

I know that right now, most inground pool companies are scrambling. I haven't seen the likes of it in the 35 yrs or more that my sis has had the company. There's no way they can do all the pool sales calls coming in without hiring a few entire crews (which ain't gonna happen). I transcribe her VMs for her and I've never seen it this busy. I feel bad for the people calling in with probs like a broken pump or filter or some such.

Unfortunately, their supplier is screwing up a bunch of her orders and parts to a pool kit or steps that she should be able to get in 2 days, she's having to call them after 10 days and ask where the parts are... they have subcontractors and all already scheduled just to find out the supplier never put the order in. It's crazy right now.
You guys are both really fortunate to have gotten your pools done as quick and well as you have right now!
And Capt...if they get out there today and show you what to do it should be fine in time.
Yep, the pool company told me that they are busy too. Not as busy as last year but still busy. They seem to be! We got "in" right before the seasonal rush and it seems like CaptainNJ did too.

I read online that most gunite pools take 2-4 months to complete but ours took five weeks - and that was with a solid week of rain where they just shut down everything. And it's not a small pool.

I think a lot of shipping is jacked up right now though. I've had issues with several things (not pool stuff, other stuff). Thankfully things seem to be getting slowly better.

Old 05-23-2020, 09:42 AM

40,229 posts, read 49,738,322 times
My son in law, of the aforementioned store, had record breaking sales, and he’s not even a salesman so was just handling the overflow, on the day the store opened again. Folks are wanting to max out the recreation activities at home.

Old 05-23-2020, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My son in law, of the aforementioned store, had record breaking sales, and he’s not even a salesman so was just handling the overflow, on the day the store opened again. Folks are wanting to max out the recreation activities at home.
I believe you! We had some sod laid and the landscaping company said this is by far the busiest they have ever been.

Old 05-23-2020, 06:47 PM

1,785 posts, read 1,178,211 times
Happy for you!!

I always thought if you lived in a community where you had to pay HOA fees, that meant that you more than likely had to share a pool. So, I'm surprised to see that you're putting it in your own HUGE bkyard.

Old 05-24-2020, 07:21 AM

3,206 posts, read 2,156,420 times
Our pool is small, but the ambiance is large. This is our morning view sitting in the pool area with the sun coming up. The peacefulness and quiet at this hour is a great way to start the day. What made me the happiest, as a gardener, was our clumping bamboo did not have to be removed, even when the retaining wall was added. The bamboo provides shade, color and the sound of wind in the leaves.

KathrynAragon and Captain NJ, it’s been fun watching your pools being built, thank you for sharing. Your pools and their settings are beautiful. Enjoy, you had perfect timing!

Old 05-24-2020, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnochili View Post
Happy for you!!

I always thought if you lived in a community where you had to pay HOA fees, that meant that you more than likely had to share a pool. So, I'm surprised to see that you're putting it in your own HUGE bkyard.
No, not all HOAs have pools. Those with pools tend to have higher HOA fees than ours (ours are about $350 a year, and it's common to pay $350 a MONTH for HOAs with pools, golf courses, etc. Our fees basically go to road, fence and gate maintenance).

Old 05-24-2020, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Our pool is small, but the ambiance is large. This is our morning view sitting in the pool area with the sun coming up. The peacefulness and quiet at this hour is a great way to start the day. What made me the happiest, as a gardener, was our clumping bamboo did not have to be removed, even when the retaining wall was added. The bamboo provides shade, color and the sound of wind in the leaves.

KathrynAragon and Captain NJ, it’s been fun watching your pools being built, thank you for sharing. Your pools and their settings are beautiful. Enjoy, you had perfect timing!

Thank you!

What a beautiful view! Like you, I absolutely love the early morning on the patio - as I've said before, I actually really enjoy "skimming" the pool in the morning - with the sun coming up, the birds singing, the wind chimes gently ringing in a cool morning breeze - I love it love it love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden