U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2020, 09:47 AM

26,650 posts, read 32,359,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I'm having a little pool party today and then another one later this week! Very excited!
nice, lots of pool parties ahead. now my wife has added some kind of kindergarten graduation party to the list of things she is having.

the guys are finishing off the sod and some landscaping today. we are going to the beach club today and i think tomorrow will be a pool day. hopefully the water will be warm, its around 79 now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2020, 10:46 AM

16,899 posts, read 10,093,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
my wife ordered a couple of these:

https://shopbotanik.com/costarondack-chair/

seems like a lot of money for a little chair but hey its just my blood, sweat and tears.
Y'all are crazy! ...and I'm only half kidding! Sorry, sometimes I just get reminded that even though I'm solidly middle class with a graduate degree that there are many people so far above me it is hard to fathom...pun intended.

Old 06-06-2020, 12:53 PM

16,899 posts, read 10,093,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Y'all are crazy! ...and I'm only half kidding! Sorry, sometimes I just get reminded that even though I'm solidly middle class with a graduate degree that there are many people so far above me it is hard to fathom...pun intended.
Didn't mean to be a wet blanket...I've actually been enjoying the thread but I guess it got too real for me.

Old 06-07-2020, 09:52 PM

52,705 posts, read 41,507,438 times
Quote:
nice, lots of pool parties ahead. now my wife has added some kind of kindergarten graduation party to the list of things she is having.

the guys are finishing off the sod and some landscaping today. we are going to the beach club today and i think tomorrow will be a pool day. hopefully the water will be warm, its around 79 now.
Nice!

It was super hot today and some folks came by for a dip and to sit around in the water. The water was 89 degrees. It felt GREAT. So that's good. I mean, it is supposed to be hotter than Hades all next week and sunny, sunny, sunny so I will really get to see how that water feels when it's about 92 degrees probably. I think as long as it's a lower temp than body temp it should feel good.

Old 06-07-2020, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Didn't mean to be a wet blanket...I've actually been enjoying the thread but I guess it got too real for me.

Well, I hate to tell you this but we spent $749 EACH on our two chaise lounges for the tanning ledge. And yes, it hurt - but it was a one time spending spree and they should last a long, long time. We use them constantly so I guess we will get our money's worth over time.

This whole thing has not been cheap. But I will say this. I love that pool. LOVE IT. I get in it every single day, sometimes twice a day. I've had friends over and they've gotten in it. I had neighbors stop by today and look at it and quiz me on the cost, the process, etc. and I just told them how it went, showed them photos, etc.

My big thing I tell people is this - the days of a $40,000 in ground pool are over. I mean, maybe you can find one, but that doesn't generally include many, or any, frills, and no landscaping, no redoing the sprinkler system or septic system, no grass, no patio expansion, nothing. It's a real reality check.

But there are lots of options - in some soils, fiberglass pools may be a good option (not a good option around here though) and they tend to be less expensive than some other options. You can go either liner or gunite - liners are less expensive. You can do a deep end or not - we chose not to go over about 5.5 feet. You can add all sorts of features - and pay for them - or you can go really simple.

Here's my thing - I'm going to live here at least ten years. I want what I want - and I wanted a gunite pool, and I wanted a waterfall, and bubblers, and I wanted a tanning bed. I paid for all those - but if I had to cut a lot of corners it just wasn't worth it to me, because even an inexpensive pool is expensive, if you get what I mean. So go ahead and throw that waterfall in there.

We didn't do a chiller though - which we might regret as summer gets hotter. We didn't do a slide. We didn't do a lot of things but I think we ended up with a really nice pool and back yard and I couldn't be happier! But yes, we're a lot poorer!

Old 06-08-2020, 07:23 AM

Quote:
im very fortunate to be in the position that im in. i dont really love spending that kind of money on those chairs but there were limited options that would work in that space. i dont even really know how happy i am to put any chairs on my liner. we will see how they look when they arrive.

Old 06-08-2020, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Nice!

It was super hot today and some folks came by for a dip and to sit around in the water. The water was 89 degrees. It felt GREAT. So that's good. I mean, it is supposed to be hotter than Hades all next week and sunny, sunny, sunny so I will really get to see how that water feels when it's about 92 degrees probably. I think as long as it's a lower temp than body temp it should feel good.
haha, see the hotter the better. my heater still isnt working (should be on thursday) so im counting on the solar heater at the moment. we went in the pool yesterday and had 3 families plus my mom & her boyfriend over. the water was 83 degrees. one of the guys that was there said his water is around 76, so id say the solar cover bought me somewhere around 7 degrees.

Old 06-08-2020, 07:29 AM

Quote:
We didn't do a chiller though -
ive never heard of such a product and i cant believe that such a thing exists.

btw, yesterday was our first time swimming and it was a lot of fun. the seat at the end of the deep end was very comfortable and a great place to throw children into the deep end. i sat on the tanning ledge and that was very good for that use. when the day was done, it took me around 10 minutes to put back on the solar cover. last time it took less but i had a little complication.

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 06-08-2020 at 08:28 AM..

Old 06-08-2020, 08:12 AM

Quote:
haha, see the hotter the better. my heater still isnt working (should be on thursday) so im counting on the solar heater at the moment. we went in the pool yesterday and had 3 families plus my mom & her boyfriend over. the water was 83 degrees. one of the guys that was there said his water is around 76, so id say the solar cover bought me somewhere around 7 degrees.
That's excellent! We have found that for us to be comfortable and not too chilly, the water should be at least 82 degrees. It surprised me that it felt so good at 90 degrees but it did! I think your solar cover is doing the job!

Old 06-08-2020, 08:16 AM

Quote:
ive never heard of such a product and if i cant believe that such a thing exists.

btw, yesterday was our first time swimming and it was a lot of fun. the seat at the end of the deep end was very comfortable and a great place to throw children into the deep end. i sat on the tanning ledge and that was very good for that use. when the day was done, it took me around 10 minutes to put back on the solar cover. last time it took less but i had a little complication.
LOL if you lived in Texas you'd believe it exists! It's just June and our water temp is already 90 degrees at least during the day! And we have an 18,000 gallon pool! I'm a little concerned because it's only 9:15 in the morning and the pool water is already 87 degrees.

Google "pool chillers" and you will see quite a few pop up. Here's the first one I got when I googled it:
https://glacierpoolcoolers.com/

Your party sounds fun. I've had a lot of fun this week having small groups come over and get in the pool. Another little bunch is coming Thursday. Yay!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden