U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2020, 09:37 AM

53,062 posts, read 41,698,935 times

Advertisements

Ha!

I agree - the low 90s is super comfy to me as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2020, 06:34 AM

1,013 posts, read 422,433 times
After reading through this thread I am seriously considering getting some quotes for a pool! I grew up with a pool and cabana. We really enjoyed it, of course, but I recall it was a lot of work, another chore I had to do as an adolescent. Then when I hit later teens I simply didn’t use the pool that much, but it was still a chore. But this summer is a kicker and my wife and son would love to have one.

Old 06-25-2020, 07:59 AM

26,866 posts, read 32,460,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
After reading through this thread I am seriously considering getting some quotes for a pool! I grew up with a pool and cabana. We really enjoyed it, of course, but I recall it was a lot of work, another chore I had to do as an adolescent. Then when I hit later teens I simply didn’t use the pool that much, but it was still a chore. But this summer is a kicker and my wife and son would love to have one.
my dad complains about nobody coming to use the pool. there is no law saying he cant enjoy it. but one problem is that he refuses to use the heater so nobody wants to go in it anyway. old guys all say the same thing "its supposed to be refreshing" just because their cheap asses dont want to pay the extra on the gas bill.

so far, id say the pool requires very little effort. i put the solar cover on when we are done and take it off when we are going in. both processes take less than a minute when you have another person help. the solar cover keeps things clean. stuff on the solar cover will fall into the pool but most will be in the skimmer very soon after. i have this robot cleaner that i throw in the pool and it runs a 2 hour cleaning cycle. i do have a company come weekly to manage the chemicals (they charge $30 per visit plus chemicals). they charge less for chemicals than leslie pools so DIY wouldnt save so much. the solar cover also prevents evaporation so i havent put any water in the pool since the pool company turned it over to me (and that was because they vacuumed and sucked out a bunch of water). i actually had to take out water later because it got above the skimmer (from rain).

so i have zero issues with the tiny bit of work its taken.

Old 06-26-2020, 08:36 AM

my wife had a handful of her friends over last night for some pool fun. the pool was 93+ degrees. they were all very impressed by the heat. most people around here dont have a solar cover and they dont want to spend money heating the pool except when absolutely necessary. so most pools are probably usually in the low 80's when people swim. i didnt have to pay a penny for any of that heat yesterday because i have the heater set to 85 and the water started the say above 85 so it got to the 93+ thanks to the power of the sun and the solar cover.

they also love the bug zapper. when that bug zapper is running at night, no bug so far have bothered anyone in my backyard.

Old 06-26-2020, 08:56 AM

I agree - the amount of work is minimal. I mean, it's like having another big room in the house to me, so it takes maintenance and money to maintain it but it's not that big a deal.

My routine is as follows: I get up in the morning and sometimes skim the leaves out of the pool if there are any in it (sometimes there are, sometimes there's not). We have trees in the yard and behind the yard but I'd rather have the filtered light and some leaves than no leaves and nothing but sun out there. So we picked our poison.

Once a week, I take a water sample to the pool place which is near by. They run a quick test and tell me exactly what to add, and I do that. Generally it's "add some chlorine tablets, two bags of shock, 6 oz of anti algae stuff, and 1/4 a gallon of muriatic acid." I do that and we can swim later that day. Since we can actually wait ten days to get the water tested, I generally take the water down there right after a heavy rain, which happens about once a week around here, and which can change the composition of the water significantly.

Anyway, the chemicals don't cost much so that's good.

We have an in-pool cleaning system (not a robot) and we have it running automatically off and on through the day (most often at night though).

I have an app on my phone that I can use to control everything in the pool, from the filter, to the lights, heater, water features, etc. Haven't had to turn the heater on since early May.

Our water temps average from about 88 to 92 or so during the heat of the day. Average daytime temps here are in the mid 90s through the summer (some 100 or so days unfortunately) so I haven't seen how that affects the water temps yet in August but so far so good. Our pool is larger than average but only goes to about 5.5 feet in depth. I have found that any temp up to 92 (the highest I think it's been so far) is very comfortable and refreshing. It also helps that we have some filtered light and some shade on the water throughout the day, though most of the pool is in the sun from about 11 to 5 or so.

The only time that the pool seems to require more maintenance is if there's a high wind and a lot of debris falls into the pool. That's happened a few times and it takes a bit more skimming but one good thing about that is that it's not heavy work. It's just outside light work.

Anyway, we love the pool so much that the slight extra work and expense is just not an issue to us.

Old 06-26-2020, 09:01 AM

For instance, I just did my morning skimming and it took me about 3 minutes total. Very light work and I enjoy being outside, listening to the birds singing, feeling the cool morning breeze - it's nice out there. I think I got five leaves out of the water.

Old 06-26-2020, 09:17 AM

the bigger pain in the butt is how crazy my wife gets before people come over and how nuts she goes with cleaning. she cleaned the patio under my deck yesterday and sent me a pic

Old 06-26-2020, 04:32 PM

669 posts, read 351,366 times
Question for @CaptainNJ (and others with liner pools): What happens with all that gorgeous tile coping when you need to replace the liner? Certainly it's constructed so that the liner can be removed/replaced without having to destroy all that...?!?!?

Old 06-29-2020, 08:13 AM

so we had 5 families over yesterday. the temperature of the pool was 88 first thing in the morning and i heated it to 90 within an hour and let the solar cover take it from there. it was 94 for the party. a couple of people mentioned that they thought it should be a 1-2 degrees less but i felt it was perfect (and my opinion is the most important since i do all the work!). as long as we continue to be diligent with the solar cover, the heater will get very little use im sure. one weird thing is that there were 6 women there, only 2 wore bathing suits and i dont think any of them got in the pool. i asked my wife why and she thinks its because they are self conscious from additional coronavirus weight. also, now we are keeping the solar cover behind the waterfall when off to be less visible. oh and the waterfall has officially become something that kids are jumping into the pool from. i dont mind it but i just need to make sure they all know to jump towards the deep end because its too shallow for jumping the other way.

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 06-29-2020 at 08:49 AM..

Old 06-30-2020, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
it was 94 for the party. a couple of people mentioned that they thought it should be a 1-2 degrees less but i felt it was perfect (and my opinion is the most important since i do all the work!).
ok, i guess i was wrong about the above statement (i should have known better). my wife told me that it was too hot and ill need to keep it a little cooler. i told her i thought it was great but that just made her repeat herself only a little louder. so then i just said that i thought it was perfect but i can make it a little cooler. she repeated her initial speech a couple of times. then i said "you dont have to keep repeating the same thing over and over, ill keep it cooler." so i really thought 94 was pretty perfect but ill try to keep it a bit cooler by removing the solar cover if it gets warmer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden