U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2020, 04:37 PM

3,069 posts, read 2,080,910 times

Advertisements

My grandkids are FL born and anything under 88 is cold to them. They have a solar heater for their pool and they keep it 90+. They’ll swim in ours, but want it warmer. I think 88 is perfect myself. We use our heater as needed in the shoulder seasons. We are hitting 88 and above every day without a cover with summer temps in SWFL. A screened pool cage keeps the water temp 3 degrees lower than a pool without a cage.

We take care of our own pool maintenance, which is brushing, vacuuming, rinsing out the filter and testing chemicals, usually on Sunday morning. It takes an hour for our smaller pool. We have a salt water generator, which is the norm here. With a pool cage there is nothing to skim out daily.

We use a drop test chemistry kit, not strips, and know exactly what we need to add to keep the water balanced. We adjust the chlorine amount on the salt water generator and add salt occasionally, muriatic acid for the PH, and cyanuric acid as conditioner to keep chlorine from burning off. That’s it. Using a pool store and their testing will have you adding and then adding something else to counteract what was added and the cycle of buying unneeded chemicals begins: great for the pool store, bad for your wallet.

What I’ve found, since taking car of our pool, is that once you know what clean water looks like, you may not want to swim in other pools. Or at least you’d like to test it before you get in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2020, 06:10 PM

53,142 posts, read 41,732,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
My grandkids are FL born and anything under 88 is cold to them. They have a solar heater for their pool and they keep it 90+. They’ll swim in ours, but want it warmer. I think 88 is perfect myself. We use our heater as needed in the shoulder seasons. We are hitting 88 and above every day without a cover with summer temps in SWFL. A screened pool cage keeps the water temp 3 degrees lower than a pool without a cage.

We take care of our own pool maintenance, which is brushing, vacuuming, rinsing out the filter and testing chemicals, usually on Sunday morning. It takes an hour for our smaller pool. We have a salt water generator, which is the norm here. With a pool cage there is nothing to skim out daily.

We use a drop test chemistry kit, not strips, and know exactly what we need to add to keep the water balanced. We adjust the chlorine amount on the salt water generator and add salt occasionally, muriatic acid for the PH, and cyanuric acid as conditioner to keep chlorine from burning off. That’s it. Using a pool store and their testing will have you adding and then adding something else to counteract what was added and the cycle of buying unneeded chemicals begins: great for the pool store, bad for your wallet.

What I’ve found, since taking car of our pool, is that once you know what clean water looks like, you may not want to swim in other pools. Or at least you’d like to test it before you get in.
I personally enjoy the water anywhere from 88 to 92 degrees. I could probably go a bit higher if the weather is warmer outside but those temps feel great to me.

I prefer taking our water sample in to the pool company. The few chemicals we've bought have not been expensive. What we add is some chlorine tablets (to the filter around the side of the house), usually about every 7-10 days (if we have a significant rain, we've noticed the tablets need to be replenished more often), two bags of shock (whatever that is - I have no idea) poured directly into the pool, 6 oz of an algae control liquid also poured directly into the pool, and about 1/4 a gallon of muriatic acid for the PH balance, also added directly into the pool. So that's four ingredients and they just aren't very expensive. I like that we get a read out of the water composition each week.

We don't have a pool cage and I have literally never seen one around here. Nor have I ever seen a lanai around the pool or an indoor pool. Pools around here are outside and unscreened and they also rarely have any sort of cover over them, though we could order one if we like. Like I've said, I enjoy walking around the pool in the early morning with the skimmer - it takes just a few minutes and it's pleasant outside. But our pool folks think we're crazy - they keep telling us "your cleaning system will take care of those leaves," and it probably will but I just LIKE the skimming process I guess.

I agree that there's nothing quite like that super clean, clear water - I absolutely love it.

We've had company come over several times this past week - one set of people for a dinner party thing, and then we had some relatives come visit and spend a night and two days. We spent over 2 hours in the pool with both sets of people. They really seem to like it. It's just so pleasant! We love it.

We bought several styles of floats, ranging in price to $85 for large rubber mat type floats, to $20 for a blow up net type of float, to $4 each for pool noodles. Guess which are our favorites? That's right - the $4 pool noodles!

Old 06-30-2020, 10:23 PM

3,069 posts, read 2,080,910 times
Kathryn, I’m glad you are happy with your pool store and enjoying your pool so much!

I read where 40% of all homes sold in our county last year had pools. Most of those have screen enclosures more often than not; it’s a Florida thing not seen elsewhere.

Our enclosure extends our living space, making the pool part of it. Everyone had gone home after a family holiday dinner last year and the two of us were relaxing outside in the pool cage after cleaning up. I saw the tree reflection in the pool and took a photo.

Last edited by jean_ji; 06-30-2020 at 11:18 PM..

Old 07-01-2020, 06:20 AM

That's beautiful, jean!

We have some family living in Florida and they have an enclosed pool too. They love it. It's just not a thing here.

I can't wait to get in that pool again today! We finally had some family visit us for a few days and we spent a lot of time in the pool this week and they went home saying how much they want a pool now.

I know some people don't use their pools much but we do so for us it has been a good investment.

Old 07-01-2020, 07:14 AM

9,083 posts, read 11,919,876 times
I guess I am in the minority with the pool temps. Maybe because I love the ocean and being from NY and now DE, I am used to the lower temps. For me 86 is perfect and after 88, it is no longer a refreshing swim. When we were kids, we had above ground or semi in ground pools for most of our childhood through the teenage years, then too, there were no heaters just covers and the sun.
Regardless, what ever temp is comfortable for you is where you set it, unless mother nature has a different plan.

Old 07-01-2020, 08:03 AM

26,882 posts, read 32,473,188 times
my neighbor was complaining about her pool's temperature the other day. the reality is that by me very few people have solar covers (i dont know anyone but me) and nobody wants to pay for the pool heater to constantly be heating the pool. so your average pool is probably in the low 80's these days. people are almost all very happy with the temperature of my pool. i think that the "refreshing" concept came more out of necessity than preference.

Old 07-01-2020, 08:57 AM

9,083 posts, read 11,919,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
my neighbor was complaining about her pool's temperature the other day. the reality is that by me very few people have solar covers (i dont know anyone but me) and nobody wants to pay for the pool heater to constantly be heating the pool. so your average pool is probably in the low 80's these days. people are almost all very happy with the temperature of my pool. i think that the "refreshing" concept came more out of necessity than preference.
Pool temperature is a very personal thing and since you are paying for it, you get to set it and adjust it accordingly to what makes you happy.

I believe, however that the generally accepted industry range is 82 -86 degrees, but I could be off a degree. It has to do with the pool water chemistry, algae and bacteria growth at higher temps. Swim loads, weather, and all sorts of variable also impact the water chemistry. It goes without saying that chemicals can correct for that. Out of curiosity, I will ask our pool man the next time I see him and report back.

I am not looking to force my opinion on you and I too am entitled to enjoy my own level of comfort. I do disagree with your "refreshing" opinion, but you are entitled to an opinion.

Old 07-01-2020, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I am not looking to force my opinion on you and I too am entitled to enjoy my own level of comfort. I do disagree with your "refreshing" opinion, but you are entitled to an opinion.
everyone should definitely select a temperature that they prefer, i wouldnt suggest otherwise. but in my experience around here, its always the cheap old guys who emphasize the preference for colder water because its "refreshing" while the women and children complain about it being too cold. my dad usually doesnt turn on his heater when we visit, the adults dont go in, the kids complain and he talks about wanting it to be refreshing. its not just old guys, i go to people's houses and hear the wives complain that the husband didnt put the heater on for the occasion. i understand, its expensive to heat the pool especially if its just for regular daily use. but i think its more a function of adjusting preferences to fit the preferred reality (not spending a ton on gas) than the lower temperature being a genuine preference.

its just my theory. your preferred temperature of 86 would still require them to use their heaters more than they would like. i think its usually high 70s low 80s when they are giving the refreshing speech.

Old 07-01-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
I want to remind you that there is a huge variation in "average pool temperatures" between various regions of the US. For instance, here in Texas, we haven't turned our heater on since late April or early May. We also don't have or need a solar cover. And our "natural" pool temps range from about 86 at night to up to 92 during the heat of the day. Usually around 88-90 though.

I personally think anything below 1) the temperatures outside and 2) typical human body temperature feels refreshing. Since it's in the mid 90s here by the afternoon, anything between 88 and 92 degrees feels great in the pool!

I've also found that if the sun goes behind a cloud, I can feel chilly even in a pool with water that's 90 degrees and an outdoor temp that's around the same. So I think everyone is different.

Old 07-01-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I want to remind you that there is a huge variation in "average pool temperatures" between various regions of the US. For instance, here in Texas, we haven't turned our heater on since late April or early May. We also don't have or need a solar cover. And our "natural" pool temps range from about 86 at night to up to 92 during the heat of the day. Usually around 88-90 though.

I personally think anything below 1) the temperatures outside and 2) typical human body temperature feels refreshing. Since it's in the mid 90s here by the afternoon, anything between 88 and 92 degrees feels great in the pool!

I've also found that if the sun goes behind a cloud, I can feel chilly even in a pool with water that's 90 degrees and an outdoor temp that's around the same. So I think everyone is different.
absolutely, the situation here in NJ is very different than by you. people here are suffering in cold pools but they grin and bear it to save the gas money. i feel bad for the husbands because after the wives swim in my pool they all start talking about getting a solar cover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden