U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2020, 06:42 AM

53,282 posts, read 41,797,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
absolutely, the situation here in NJ is very different than by you. people here are suffering in cold pools but they grin and bear it to save the gas money. i feel bad for the husbands because after the wives swim in my pool they all start talking about getting a solar cover.
I get it! To me, 82 degrees is barely acceptable!

We ran our heater off and on to maintain 82 degrees a few months ago - thankfully gas is cheap and the bill didn't go up much. But I'd definitely do a solar cover if that lasted long.

We haven't gone through a winter with the pool yet. That should be interesting. I mean, we won't be swimming in it because I don't want to keep the water heated up that much. It's one thing to run the heater a BIT - it's another thing entirely to run it constantly or even for more than a few hours a day. Basically we just sprang for the heater for April and October, to extend our swim season by two more months.

We've been running the water features at night to cool the water down (from 3-5 in the am actually), and yesterday our water temp was 87 in the late afternoon and it was PERFECT. It's 7:40 am right now and the water is 84 degrees so I'm sure it will heat up over the day since the high today is supposed to be 95. And it's supposed to be sunny too. It's been hot and sunny now for several day in a row and we're about to hit the dog days of summer so that should be interesting too. I don't think I want to swim in water that's above about 92 or so degrees. I may need to switch my swim time from late afternoon to before noon. Hmm. First World Problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2020, 10:54 AM

26,933 posts, read 32,505,464 times
pool got to a frigid 87 degrees yesterday when we put the cover back on. hopefully its getting some good heat today so i dont need to pay for heat tomorrow. we are ready to murica for our 4th of july party tomorrow! we are going to murica like we've never murica'd before!!!

Old 07-02-2020, 01:42 PM

god bless our new founding fathers

Old 07-02-2020, 08:18 PM

Looks like fun!

We are NOT going to "murica" this weekend. We've had our fill of company over the past week, frankly. And if we eat one more hamburger, we're going to start crying!

So actually I think we will just grill some salmon or something and then get in the pool again as usual. We did it again today and once again, it was just great. I mean, it's sort of anticlimactic considering it's July 4, but we've got kids and grandkids and houseguests galore coming over the month of July and besides that, I'm sort of uncharacteristically stressed and a bit depressed by all the brouhaha nation and world wide. So I am looking forward to destressing every day in the pool. Preferably with just my husband! LOL I swear I'm becoming a recluse.

Old 07-03-2020, 08:34 AM

Yesterday the pool temp was 89. Outside temps were in the mid 90s. It still felt good but I hope the water doesn't get much warmer.

Old 07-03-2020, 09:00 AM

id prefer not to murica this much. my wife wants to have all these parties now with the pool and everything. i like having people over but 2-3 families or so. i think we have 1 large party set up for the summer but that is adults only so hopefully from now on it will be small gatherings.

Old 07-03-2020, 09:07 AM

4,313 posts, read 3,630,769 times
My pool has solar heat, and a cage, and I actually had to turn off the solar last week. I like it from 88-90 (solar is set to 90), and its now staying pretty much in that range without the solar heat (unless we get some rainy days). I put my pool in last fall, and am thoroughly enjoying it. I use it nearly every day. I had also put in a salt water generator, and the only chemicals I am using is a little muriatic acid every week. I also got a super test kit, since I found the pool store's numbers varied so widely. Theres a good website that helps anyone with their pools. Even pools with just chlorine rarely need anything more than muriatic and chlorine to keep a pool sparkly clean. It all depends on keeping your numbers between the rails.

Love my pool!

Old 07-03-2020, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
My pool has solar heat, and a cage, and I actually had to turn off the solar last week. I like it from 88-90 (solar is set to 90), and its now staying pretty much in that range without the solar heat (unless we get some rainy days). I put my pool in last fall, and am thoroughly enjoying it. I use it nearly every day. I had also put in a salt water generator, and the only chemicals I am using is a little muriatic acid every week. I also got a super test kit, since I found the pool store's numbers varied so widely. Theres a good website that helps anyone with their pools. Even pools with just chlorine rarely need anything more than muriatic and chlorine to keep a pool sparkly clean. It all depends on keeping your numbers between the rails.

Love my pool!
Isn't it great!!!!! We just got in from the pool a few minutes ago. DEFINITELY the most fun expense we've ever taken on!

I find the maintenance to be present but not overwhelming at all. But it's like you said, we have to keep it between the rails because I sure as heck don't want to see it get out of whack. So far so good!

Old 07-04-2020, 09:07 AM

the party yesterday was a success. one potential positive of it is that it seems my wife doesnt want to throw another big party. so the one we had planned to co-host with our neighbor is either canceled, moved to neighbors house or downsized. id like to just downsize it. one issue i see is that i ordered enough food for the whole party from a catering place. my wife went and got a bunch more food. so we end up with a ton of leftovers. we had enough food and drinks for twice the people we had. another sucky thing that happened was when i was setting up the fireworks by attaching a fuse to each firework fuse it started raining. i was almost done and it was going to be glorious but we had to grab everything and run it inside. when the rain stopped, i set it up all over but the wet fuses wouldnt light them all like they should so i had to individually light them. it was still a very good show but it would have been even better and i would have been able to stand on the side and enjoy all of it.

this morning i notice these little deposits of like a rusty dirt. im not sure where they come from but im guessing they traveled in on feet but im not really sure where they picked them up.

Old 07-04-2020, 09:35 AM

9,122 posts, read 11,944,263 times
It could be the colorant from the fireworks. We had an apartment on LI and they would set fireworks off in the river behind our place. The next morning the roof deck of the garage would have all the cardboard spent shell pieces all over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden