U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2020, 09:21 AM

53,447 posts, read 41,932,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I'm a party pooper -- I don't mind municipal fireworks shows at all because they have a starting and ending point (at my last house, the fireworks show was literally right across the street from my house -- the across-the-street neighbor's house backed up on a field where baseball games are played and they always did the show after a game -- and I enjoyed it every year although my cats didn't!). I actually HATE fireworks in my neighborhood because they can go on and on, then stop for 10 minutes, then they start again for hours, etc., and you never know when they're going to end. In the master bedroom, I had an a/c unit on, a fan going, a noise machine going, earplugs in both ears, and a pillow over my head, and they still kept me up (this was likely around 11:30 p.m. or so). (Honestly, anything up until around 10 p.m.would have been OK, but after that, I just kept thinking, PLEASE give your neighbors a break!!)

But what I'm REALLY afraid of is that the same thing will happen tonight and I will be miserable because I'm having major surgery tomorrow morning and will have to get up at 4:30 a.m.

=======

Sorry to be such a grump, Kathryn! YOUR July 4th sounded wonderful.
Oh no, I get it. My dogs were driving me a little bit crazy but they sort of behaved once I put them in the laundry room (I hate doing that but this was an unusual circumstance - I think it may be the very first time I have ever put them in the laundry room and they did NOT want to go in there!).

I hate to say this but thankfully it rained last night and is still raining, because prior to the rain coming in (around 7 pm) people started continuing with the fireworks. I agree - enough is enough!

But I love fireworks on the 4th of July and New Years (and we also have some going off but not as many, on Memorial Day and Veterans Day). I am tolerant of them but I do want them done with by about 10 pm. Most of them were but a few people were still partying till midnight. Thankfully we couldn't hear them in the master bedroom so our dogs calmed down finally and settled down into their doggie beds.

I left the pool lights on in their patriotic colors for several hours though - it made me happy to look outside and see those lights! From my sleepy spot on the sofa - LOL.

Wow I hope and pray your surgery goes well. I am so sorry you have to go through surgery but I am always so grateful for our medical systems and advances. Please let us know when you're home and recovering!

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 07-06-2020 at 09:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2020, 10:32 AM

Oh my gosh, I just have to share this. Yesterday it was hot and sunny, but the water temps in the pool were around 85. IT WAS FABULOUS.

Best investment ever.

Old 07-09-2020, 10:43 AM

27,015 posts, read 32,574,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh my gosh, I just have to share this. Yesterday it was hot and sunny, but the water temps in the pool were around 85. IT WAS FABULOUS.

Best investment ever.
oh my god, ice cold!

i think this evening we will be in my neighbors pool. im guessing it will be in the low 80's. im curious to see if adults go in. most of the time the adults only go in the hot tub if at all. we only go in the pool if the kids want us to play with them.

all the men go in my pool, women seem to be very strange and dont want their chunky butts to be seen in a bathing suit.

Old 07-09-2020, 10:49 AM

7,889 posts, read 13,823,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Prayers for a quiet and speedy recovery.
Thank you -- very kind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
the only time fireworks bothered me was when my youngest was a baby and the neighbors shot them off. this was in a community where homes were very close so it was highly likely to wake her up. even though it bothered me, its still their right to do it so i wasnt going to complain. it wasnt late or anything. where i live now, homes are pretty spaced out and my closest neighbor is a good friend so they were there for the show. one friend brought these crazy loud mortars that basically sent almost every small child into the house. so it was basically adults watching the show. it was all done by 930 or so, sun doesnt go down until about 9 so not much choice to be earlier.
Quote:
Oh no, I get it. My dogs were driving me a little bit crazy but they sort of behaved once I put them in the laundry room (I hate doing that but this was an unusual circumstance - I think it may be the very first time I have ever put them in the laundry room and they did NOT want to go in there!).

I hate to say this but thankfully it rained last night and is still raining, because prior to the rain coming in (around 7 pm) people started continuing with the fireworks. I agree - enough is enough!

But I love fireworks on the 4th of July and New Years (and we also have some going off but not as many, on Memorial Day and Veterans Day). I am tolerant of them but I do want them done with by about 10 pm. Most of them were but a few people were still partying till midnight. Thankfully we couldn't hear them in the master bedroom so our dogs calmed down finally and settled down into their doggie beds.

I left the pool lights on in their patriotic colors for several hours though - it made me happy to look outside and see those lights! From my sleepy spot on the sofa - LOL.

Wow I hope and pray your surgery goes well. I am so sorry you have to go through surgery but I am always so grateful for our medical systems and advances. Please let us know when you're home and recovering!
I can take fireworks on the 4th of July through around 10 p.m. and on New Year's Eve until just past midnight, but after that, I'm like, "REALLY?!!! Some of us do sleep ..."

As it turned out, I very very vaguely heard something probably around 9:30 p.m. on Sunday 7/5 but it didn't last long and I was still able to go to sleep (and my surgery the next day went well). My sister lives in Henderson NV and she said she doesn't mind it at all on holidays but there it starts 2 weeks before and goes 1-2 weeks after. Yeah, I'd hate that.

Anyway, I'm back -- and still jealous of your pools!

Quote:

Best investment ever.

Old 07-09-2020, 11:33 AM

9,171 posts, read 11,990,705 times
Quote:

Best investment ever.
That is perfection for me. Cool enough to be refreshing and hot enough outside that the water feels great.

Old 07-09-2020, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
oh my god, ice cold!

i think this evening we will be in my neighbors pool. im guessing it will be in the low 80's. im curious to see if adults go in. most of the time the adults only go in the hot tub if at all. we only go in the pool if the kids want us to play with them.

all the men go in my pool, women seem to be very strange and dont want their chunky butts to be seen in a bathing suit.
That is odd.

I don't know, maybe it's because everyone I know has imperfect, middle aged bodies (myself included) but so far no one seems self conscious about getting in the pool here.

Tonight we are going to swim after dark - we're all excited about it now that the June bugs aren't an issue - LOL!

Old 07-09-2020, 02:09 PM

How are you feeling, Karen????? You have been on my mind!

Old 07-09-2020, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
That is perfection for me. Cool enough to be refreshing and hot enough outside that the water feels great.
Thank you - it might have been the best day yet!

Old 07-09-2020, 06:09 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,261,412 times
We love our pool. This year DH installed a solar hot water heating system and we've been at July water temps here in CT since early June she it was installed. We'll be getting a lot more use out of the pool. We're pretty happy with 84-87 degree water. We tend to swim in the early evening to cool down from there day, though we took an after breakfast swim one hot morning this week. With COVID keeping us home the pool is no longer a luxury.

Old 07-10-2020, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
We love our pool. This year DH installed a solar hot water heating system and we've been at July water temps here in CT since early June she it was installed. We'll be getting a lot more use out of the pool. We're pretty happy with 84-87 degree water. We tend to swim in the early evening to cool down from there day, though we took an after breakfast swim one hot morning this week. With COVID keeping us home the pool is no longer a luxury.
I know what you mean! I am so glad we have the pool this year, even though I wouldn't have spent that money if we'd started on it AFTER the pandemic began. Ugh.

We swam last night and it was nice. It was a change from the day, when the air outside is hot but the water feels cooler. This time the water was warmer than the air so that felt different. We'll probably get back in the pool tomorrow night but this time with some drinks! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden