U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-10-2020, 01:35 PM
 
Location: SoCal, but itching to relocate
787 posts, read 392,971 times
Reputation: 1230

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
all the men go in my pool, women seem to be very strange and dont want their chunky butts to be seen in a bathing suit.
Well, comments like this won't help.

I'm gonna take a wild guess that the women are in that awkward in-between stage of life -- no longer young and super fit, maybe after having a coupla kids, but not yet "middle age" when one starts to not care about imperfections as much (as Kathryn mentioned) and doesn't feel the need to wear a skimpy bikini.

Last edited by ImmerLernen; 07-10-2020 at 01:36 PM.. Reason: typo
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-10-2020, 01:39 PM
 
Location: NJ
27,823 posts, read 33,002,350 times
Reputation: 19905
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmerLernen View Post
Well, comments like this won't help.

I'm gonna take a wild guess that the women are in that awkward in-between stage of life -- no longer young and super fit, maybe after having a coupla kids, but not yet "middle age" when one starts to not care about imperfections as much (as Kathryn mentioned) and doesn't feel the need to wear a skimpy bikini.
im just kidding, nobody would ever say that i made them feel uncomfortable wearing a bathing suit. my policy is to be nice to everyone always and not to judge anyone negatively.

the age range is typically 38-45 or so. so i guess that is the case. but its always just a handful of families or less, all in the same general situation. i dont know why the need to be so self conscious as to limit your ability to enjoy everything available.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2020, 02:31 PM
 
Location: Former LI'er Now Rehoboth Beach, DE
9,695 posts, read 12,309,193 times
Reputation: 10154
I can chime in on this one. I am a senior and my chunky belly is not the reason at all. I agree that in your demographic it probably does contribute. My best friend has a pool that is stunningly beautiful with all the bells and gongs and whistles a person could want. She also has a waterfall, and an 8 foot hot tub, essentially attached to the pool. The travertine is stunning and she has 6 lounges around the pool, 4 comfy chairs, every kind of pool toy including a cabana float. Adjacent to the pool is a seating area for about 15 people and then at the far end is an outdoor fire place with a tv on the side. It is like being in a resort. Just seeing it makes you want one.

I have never been in, but not because I have not been invited. Guys have it easy - you take your clothes off and jump into trunks, swim, towel off and then you are set to go. We females have it a lot tougher, especially if it involves driving some place. Sitting in a wet bathing suit that hugs you, is not fun and sitting in clothes over a wet suit is not fun either. Guys trunks generally are much looser and the material drys in a minute, at least my DH, trunks do.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2020, 03:37 PM
 
Location: Coastal Georgia
40,273 posts, read 49,788,630 times
Reputation: 68922
I’ll just chime in to say that if I had my own pool I’d use it often, but the “grooming“ involved in getting ready to go public is daunting. Most women would rather pass than spend the day getting waxed first.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2020, 05:55 PM
Status: "Tell your loved ones you love them." (set 7 days ago)
 
Location: Wonderland
54,474 posts, read 42,652,770 times
Reputation: 75936
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I can chime in on this one. I am a senior and my chunky belly is not the reason at all. I agree that in your demographic it probably does contribute. My best friend has a pool that is stunningly beautiful with all the bells and gongs and whistles a person could want. She also has a waterfall, and an 8 foot hot tub, essentially attached to the pool. The travertine is stunning and she has 6 lounges around the pool, 4 comfy chairs, every kind of pool toy including a cabana float. Adjacent to the pool is a seating area for about 15 people and then at the far end is an outdoor fire place with a tv on the side. It is like being in a resort. Just seeing it makes you want one.

I have never been in, but not because I have not been invited. Guys have it easy - you take your clothes off and jump into trunks, swim, towel off and then you are set to go. We females have it a lot tougher, especially if it involves driving some place. Sitting in a wet bathing suit that hugs you, is not fun and sitting in clothes over a wet suit is not fun either. Guys trunks generally are much looser and the material drys in a minute, at least my DH, trunks do.
You just need to get a big, big beach towel and tuck it around you when you get out!

Your friend's pool sounds beautiful by the way.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2020, 06:02 PM
Status: "Tell your loved ones you love them." (set 7 days ago)
 
Location: Wonderland
54,474 posts, read 42,652,770 times
Reputation: 75936
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I’ll just chime in to say that if I had my own pool I’d use it often, but the “grooming“ involved in getting ready to go public is daunting. Most women would rather pass than spend the day getting waxed first.
Oh I agree. Even so, prior to building our pool, I was a member of a swim club and went to the pool regularly. I never did the waxing thing, but then I shave my legs basically every day and as for "the rest," I just keep things neat and tidy anyway - LOL

Here's my routine:

I shave my legs regularly (and under my arms). I slather massage oil on myself before I go to bed. I use sunscreen before I get in the pool. Basically that's it. I have three or four bathing suits but they're all about the same - they're that chlorine resistant one piece type with a V neck, in various colors. They're pretty thick material and they hold things in pretty well - LOL.

I just ordered one that has a little skirt on it and shorts rather than a bathing suit bottom underneath. It's a retro, fifties looking suit in a retro fabric and I hope it looks OK. I think I will love it!

I just absolutely do not worry about my imperfections. My gosh, I'm 58 years old and I've had four kids. Besides that, tanned fat looks better than lily white fat!

I remember taking my kids to the Schlitterbahn when they were teens and looking at all the incredibly imperfect bodies in all sorts of bathing suits and honestly, after that I just quit worrying about it.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2020, 07:25 PM
 
Location: SoCal, but itching to relocate
787 posts, read 392,971 times
Reputation: 1230
A skirted bottom and a tankini style top can look pretty cute on us less-than-youthful gals! If you've got nice lean legs, you can still show 'em off with a mini skirtini. And the tankini tops have all kinds of necklines that flatter and accommodate different up-top requirements. I had my kids late (at 38 and nearly 40), and I wasn't gonna skip taking them to the community pool because I no longer had my bikini bod.

Last edited by ImmerLernen; 07-11-2020 at 07:26 PM.. Reason: typo
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2020, 07:07 AM
Status: "Tell your loved ones you love them." (set 7 days ago)
 
Location: Wonderland
54,474 posts, read 42,652,770 times
Reputation: 75936
OK so I did something yesterday evening that I hadn't done before. I drank two glasses of wine and then got in the pool at dusk, turned on a playlist and floated around the pool on a float dozing. WOW, TALK ABOUT STRESS RELIEF. It was fantastic.

I highly recommend this activity during this pandemic.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2020, 07:55 AM
 
Location: NJ
27,823 posts, read 33,002,350 times
Reputation: 19905
what kind of bug elimination are you using? i have a bug zapper and i also have this mosquito bait things. we had a couple of horse flies so i added this fly trap which seems very effective but i dont think it gets the big horse flies. overall, i think the bug zapper is the most effective tool. very few bugs you encounter in my yard.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2020, 10:37 AM
 
Location: Coastal Georgia
40,273 posts, read 49,788,630 times
Reputation: 68922
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh I agree. Even so, prior to building our pool, I was a member of a swim club and went to the pool regularly. I never did the waxing thing, but then I shave my legs basically every day and as for "the rest," I just keep things neat and tidy anyway - LOL

Here's my routine:

I shave my legs regularly (and under my arms). I slather massage oil on myself before I go to bed. I use sunscreen before I get in the pool. Basically that's it. I have three or four bathing suits but they're all about the same - they're that chlorine resistant one piece type with a V neck, in various colors. They're pretty thick material and they hold things in pretty well - LOL.

I just ordered one that has a little skirt on it and shorts rather than a bathing suit bottom underneath. It's a retro, fifties looking suit in a retro fabric and I hope it looks OK. I think I will love it!

I just absolutely do not worry about my imperfections. My gosh, I'm 58 years old and I've had four kids. Besides that, tanned fat looks better than lily white fat!

I remember taking my kids to the Schlitterbahn when they were teens and looking at all the incredibly imperfect bodies in all sorts of bathing suits and honestly, after that I just quit worrying about it.
I’ve been to topless beaches full of old Europeans and I get what you are saying. Still, since I don’t get to the beach or pool very often, getting ready is an ordeal.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top