U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2020, 04:29 PM

54,369 posts, read 42,603,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
what kind of bug elimination are you using? i have a bug zapper and i also have this mosquito bait things. we had a couple of horse flies so i added this fly trap which seems very effective but i dont think it gets the big horse flies. overall, i think the bug zapper is the most effective tool. very few bugs you encounter in my yard.
Amazingly nothing. We haven't had a big issue with bugs. We do use Terminix for mainly termite control and I think they do something to control spiders but mostly their treatments are simply around the perimeter of the house. We had terrible mosquitoes when we lived a few miles from here but we lived across the road from a creek. Now we live on top of a hill with no creeks of any significance around us and we have not seen or felt a single mosquito yet, which is a big relief because in addition to the cost, I felt like treating for mosquitoes killed our frogs, toads, and lizards and we have those now aplenty.

I have seen a few wasps trying to take up residence but I just use wasp spray on them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2020, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I’ve been to topless beaches full of old Europeans and I get what you are saying. Still, since I don’t get to the beach or pool very often, getting ready is an ordeal.
I gotcha.

I forgot - if I go swimming in the late afternoon, I have to remove my eye makeup and then slather on some sunscreen! That takes a bit but otherwise - ugh. So many different types of ughs.

Old 07-15-2020, 07:59 AM

27,705 posts, read 32,970,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Amazingly nothing. We haven't had a big issue with bugs. We do use Terminix for mainly termite control and I think they do something to control spiders but mostly their treatments are simply around the perimeter of the house. We had terrible mosquitoes when we lived a few miles from here but we lived across the road from a creek. Now we live on top of a hill with no creeks of any significance around us and we have not seen or felt a single mosquito yet, which is a big relief because in addition to the cost, I felt like treating for mosquitoes killed our frogs, toads, and lizards and we have those now aplenty.

I have seen a few wasps trying to take up residence but I just use wasp spray on them.
that is impressive. people here have a very low tolerance for bugs so im pretty aggressive in getting rid of them. only open issue now is horseflies. hopefully the fly traps get them but i think they may be too big.

Old 07-15-2020, 08:43 AM

9,652 posts, read 12,288,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
that is impressive. people here have a very low tolerance for bugs so im pretty aggressive in getting rid of them. only open issue now is horseflies. hopefully the fly traps get them but i think they may be too big.
Try something called a Rescue Fly trap. You can buy them at Loews for sure. My friend used to work at the Meadowlands and actually was a horse owner and she suggested them. I am very allergic to bug bites of all kinds, getting welts and huge red itchy eruptions with even a nose-em. When the wind is off the land we get bug black horseflies here and these really work.

Last edited by nuts2uiam; 07-15-2020 at 09:02 AM..

Old 07-15-2020, 08:52 AM

27,705 posts, read 32,970,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Try something called a Rescue Fly trap. You can them at Loews for sure. My friend used to work at the Meadowlands and actually was a horse owner and she suggested them. I am very allergic to bug bites of all kinds, getting welts and huge red itchy eruptions with even a nose-em. When the wind is off the land we get bug black horseflies here and these really work.
that is actually the one i bought. i hung two of them on trees surrounding my back yard. it is very effective, the thing is full of flies and has many flies all around it. but i think that it may not have enough space for large flies to enter.

Old 07-15-2020, 06:06 PM

I hate horseflies and fully expected to have them but we just don't. Seriously. I am amazed at how few bugs we have overall in our yard. But we do have tons and tons of frogs, toads and lizards so apparently they are very well fed!

Old 07-15-2020, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I hate horseflies and fully expected to have them but we just don't. Seriously. I am amazed at how few bugs we have overall in our yard. But we do have tons and tons of frogs, toads and lizards so apparently they are very well fed!
I am so creeped out by those things. I taught Bio for a couple of years and would make the students grab the live frogs. Dead is no problem. Live. Ewwwwwww

Old 07-17-2020, 07:13 AM

3,206 posts, read 2,156,420 times
I don’t think anyone has mentioned this yet, but I will. We love to swim nude. With just the two of us now and no children, it’s the norm anymore. With an 8 foot privacy fence and neighbors with one story homes, we have total privacy. We started under the cover of darkness and then began in daylight hours when we realized there was no reason to struggle getting a sweaty body into a swimsuit after gardening or yard work in FL.

That freedom has quickly become the best part of having a pool for us.

Last edited by jean_ji; 07-17-2020 at 07:32 AM..

Old 07-17-2020, 07:35 AM

Your house, your pool, what ever floats your boat, just keep your eyes out for drones. Many brokers, at least in this area are using drones for aerial shots of property.

Old 07-17-2020, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Your house, your pool, what ever floats your boat, just keep your eyes out for drones. Many brokers, at least in this area are using drones for aerial shots of property.
That's a good point! I've seen them around here as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden