U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2020, 08:46 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,581,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I know what you mean, I’m not that way with rodents, but I’m scared of being startled. I don’t mind frogs and snakes outside because they are so useful in the garden.

We have our old kitchen cupboards in the garage where we store little used items. One day hubby found a snake skin in one of the cupboards. Now, that would have sent me shrieking.
I found a snake skin on the floor under the head of my bed. That freaked me out, for sure.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2020, 06:54 AM

9,695 posts, read 12,309,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
I found a snake skin on the floor under the head of my bed. That freaked me out, for sure.
I am so skeeeved out that I would assume he is still in the house and call snake hunters in to check. I would hear noises and assume it was the snake automatically. The snake in my garage was June 6th and I have still not taken the car out. I know he is not in there because I saw he slither away, but I have to stand right opposite where he was to open the car door and it gives me the total creeps.

Thank God I am staying in due to the virus because I would normally be in and out of the garage a thousand times.

Old 07-25-2020, 07:23 AM
Status: "Tell your loved ones you love them." (set 7 days ago)

54,475 posts, read 42,652,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
So interesting what we are afraid of -- and what we AREN'T!

I don't mind spiders at all, nor toads, nor snakes. Lots of all of those around here.

But a tiny MOUSE anywhere in my house (or in my kitty Chloe's MOUTH as she saunters by ) and I am like this: !!! Luckily, since my kitchen remodel none have managed to find their way back into living space (although Chloe is ever vigilant), but I am sure there are some in the basement (even though there is NO food or water source down there).

KA, do you ever find dead rodents in your pool when you skim? That's the only thing I'd hate about pool maintenance -- finding dead creatures in there. And I would be devastated if I found someone's pet out there some morning.
I found a dead mouse and a dead frog, both the first week we had water in the pool. Since then, nothing, thank goodness.

I did have a dream last night that I found a snake in the filter. But that was just a dream.

Old 07-25-2020, 12:45 PM

16,043 posts, read 1,330,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My daughter used to find dead toads in her pool, regularly. Who knew they can’t swim?
It is the chemicals not the water. All our toads are named Rebecca and have upside down clay plant pots with an entrance hole all over the vegetable garden.

Old 07-25-2020, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I found a dead mouse and a dead frog, both the first week we had water in the pool. Since then, nothing, thank goodness.

I did have a dream last night that I found a snake in the filter. But that was just a dream.
I would have to build a moat made of what ever would stop them for me to get into the pool. I would constantly be looking for them.

Old 07-26-2020, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I would have to build a moat made of what ever would stop them for me to get into the pool. I would constantly be looking for them.
Well, you know, I thought they'd be able to get out because I have two lounge chairs on the tanning ledge which is where I found both of them, and those chairs butt up against the wall, so if they'd just gone to the chairs, they'd have been able to get out. But I guess that's a lack of mouse or frog reasoning powers!

That reminds me of a story about my mom, who loved animals and was always rescuing some baby animal and trying to keep it alive (with some success but not total success). She had this baby flying squirrel. She had to keep it in the bathroom the first night, because she didn't have a cage yet, and the toilet didn't have a seat on it. Why she didn't put a piece of something over it, I don't know, but instead of that, she put a GI JOE FLOAT in the toilet water! Her reasoning was that the squirrel might fly in but it would climb into the float.

The next morning, she found both the dead squirrel and the float (squirrel beside the float) in the toilet. Oh well.

Old 07-26-2020, 05:24 PM

27,823 posts, read 33,002,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
It is the chemicals not the water. All our toads are named Rebecca and have upside down clay plant pots with an entrance hole all over the vegetable garden.
today we found the 2nd dead creature in our skimmer basket, another frog. my wife said that the chemicals killed it but i said that i think that he probably exhausted himself out trying to get out and then drowned. im not sure who is actually right. i just figured it would take a long time for the chlorine to kill a frog.

Old 07-27-2020, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
today we found the 2nd dead creature in our skimmer basket, another frog. my wife said that the chemicals killed it but i said that i think that he probably exhausted himself out trying to get out and then drowned. im not sure who is actually right. i just figured it would take a long time for the chlorine to kill a frog.
I believe they get tired trying to get out.

After that first week, we haven't found another critter in our pool or skimmer, other than a few bugs which I don't care about one way or the other. It's like the wildlife has got it figured out!

I have found a few droplets from something - scat that is. Not a mouse or rat - this is bigger and it's right at the pool edge, always over by the tanning ledge. I think it is probably from either a possum or a raccoon waddling up at night to get a drink.

My dogs drink out of the pool regularly with no ill effects. Apparently that water tastes better to them than the water I keep out in a bucket for them. However, their favorite water is the "inside water" in a bowl on the cool tile kitchen floor!

Old 07-27-2020, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I believe they get tired trying to get out.

After that first week, we haven't found another critter in our pool or skimmer, other than a few bugs which I don't care about one way or the other. It's like the wildlife has got it figured out!

I have found a few droplets from something - scat that is. Not a mouse or rat - this is bigger and it's right at the pool edge, always over by the tanning ledge. I think it is probably from either a possum or a raccoon waddling up at night to get a drink.

My dogs drink out of the pool regularly with no ill effects. Apparently that water tastes better to them than the water I keep out in a bucket for them. However, their favorite water is the "inside water" in a bowl on the cool tile kitchen floor!
I spike with my friend that has the resort pool and patio and she said the first year she had a frog, since then nothing except a few bugs in the skimmer basket. Guess you are right they know where they can go after a while. Must be frog and mouse conventions with the lead saying "Hey be careful out there. the pools are located at ........"

Old 07-27-2020, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I spike with my friend that has the resort pool and patio and she said the first year she had a frog, since then nothing except a few bugs in the skimmer basket. Guess you are right they know where they can go after a while. Must be frog and mouse conventions with the lead saying "Hey be careful out there. the pools are located at ........"
I swear that house flies do the same thing as soon as we get out a fly swatter. "Go dart madly around in another room! She looks serious! We don't want to die today!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden