U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2020, 08:37 AM

27,835 posts, read 33,008,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I swear that house flies do the same thing as soon as we get out a fly swatter. "Go dart madly around in another room! She looks serious! We don't want to die today!"
me and my neighbor have those electric tennis rackets for flies in the house. it can be tough to get them but its very satisfying when you do.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2020, 09:25 AM

8,032 posts, read 14,017,364 times
Had to laugh at the last couple of posts. There's a thread on files this summer (https://www.city-data.com/forum/hous...any-flies.html) -- I posted in it as this is the first year I've had a big issue with them in the house.

Finally figured out how they were getting in (the area above a window a/c) and of course plugged it (literally with foam). Today I've seen just 1 flying slowly around so I expect to kill him soon ...

In past years I haven't had to "plug" that area above the window a/c -- there may be something dead right outside the window so the flies decided to come on in this year.

Old 07-27-2020, 02:42 PM

4,548 posts, read 3,643,682 times
Quote:
I believe they get tired trying to get out.

After that first week, we haven't found another critter in our pool or skimmer, other than a few bugs which I don't care about one way or the other. It's like the wildlife has got it figured out!

I have found a few droplets from something - scat that is. Not a mouse or rat - this is bigger and it's right at the pool edge, always over by the tanning ledge. I think it is probably from either a possum or a raccoon waddling up at night to get a drink.

My dogs drink out of the pool regularly with no ill effects. Apparently that water tastes better to them than the water I keep out in a bucket for them. However, their favorite water is the "inside water" in a bowl on the cool tile kitchen floor!
Have you heard of those animal escape ramps for pools? Seems like it would help an animal that accidentally falls in.

https://petshopia.net/product/skamper-ramp-escape-ramp/

Old 07-27-2020, 06:29 PM
Status: "Tell your loved ones you love them." (set 9 days ago)

54,474 posts, read 42,660,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
me and my neighbor have those electric tennis rackets for flies in the house. it can be tough to get them but its very satisfying when you do.
My husband bought a Bug AsSalt rifle and he loves it! He looks for an excuse to get it out!

Old 07-28-2020, 06:19 AM

40,278 posts, read 49,794,534 times
Quote:
My husband bought a Bug AsSalt rifle and he loves it! He looks for an excuse to get it out!
Thank you for reminding me about the Bug A Salt rifles! I’m getting them for the men in my Christmas list. The flies have been crazy bad this year.

Old 07-28-2020, 07:02 AM
Status: "Tell your loved ones you love them." (set 9 days ago)

54,474 posts, read 42,660,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Thank you for reminding me about the Bug A Salt rifles! I’m getting them for the men in my Christmas list. The flies have been crazy bad this year.
LOL I don't care for it but my husband shows it off to guests and invariably the men want to go find some bug to shoot and the women all begin rolling their eyes at the shenanigans.

Don't shoot each other - it hurts! LOL I haven't been shot but our grandson shot my husband in the leg and it was quite uncomfortable apparently.

I think those are a great gift idea.

Old 07-28-2020, 08:18 AM

i have a bug assault gun. i refer to it as my "aasalt weapon." my wife wont let me shoot it in the house. im pretty aggressive with bug elimination on my property so there arent a lot of bugs to shoot.

Old 07-28-2020, 08:42 AM

i just got a text from a friend who just got his bug zapper (same one as me). i have officially gotten 3 friends to buy the same one (that i know of). my neighbor actually had one from the previous owners but it wasnt working so he has an electrician coming to get it working again. im making the bug zapper cool again! its going to be like the 80's all over again.

Old 07-28-2020, 10:21 AM

40,278 posts, read 49,794,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i just got a text from a friend who just got his bug zapper (same one as me). i have officially gotten 3 friends to buy the same one (that i know of). my neighbor actually had one from the previous owners but it wasnt working so he has an electrician coming to get it working again. im making the bug zapper cool again! its going to be like the 80's all over again.
My son has one in his yard, but one of his dogs gets very alarmed by the sound it makes, so he can’t use it.

Old 07-29-2020, 01:01 PM

apparently the raccoon made a mess last night of our outside garbage can. so i just ordered a trap. the question is, what do i do with him after i catch him? put the trap in the back of the suv and then drive him to some distant place for release?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden