U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2020, 09:26 AM

7,544 posts, read 13,282,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I'll never forget the year my neighbors were never in the pool (including summer) and when I asked them why they said "the water just isn't warming up". I thought to myself, what a waste a pool is around here if it doesn't have a heater. They finally started using it in August and it was literally for 1 month only that year. I think was 2014? You wont have that problem. lol
Of course I still want my pool, even here in New Hampshire, so after I read Cambium's post I started thinking, Hmmm, my back yard is basically a perfect southern exposure (I found this out years ago when I was considering solar panels -- my house is perfectly sited for them) and gets a TON of sun ... so maybe a pool could work in my particular back yard?

Yeah, I'm dreamin' ... (The odd thing is, in my particular neighborhood LOTS of houses have pools -- on my street there are at least half a dozen, and within a couple of blocks of my house there are at least twice that. I remember thinking it was very unusual when I moved here not quite 8 years ago. Hmmm ...)
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2020, 09:49 AM

1,808 posts, read 823,967 times
My daughter currently has an offer in on a house in Seattle. It used to have a nice pool in the backyard, but the former owners bought it with the pool and then had the pool removed. As part of the negotiations, the sellers provided documentation showing they removed the pool properly. With the removal, also, of the deck and some concrete walkways, the total cost was $26,000.

Old 01-22-2020, 09:51 AM
Status: "We don't have to wait to start changing the world." (set 13 days ago)

48,614 posts, read 38,934,679 times
Hopefully they got a good deal on that house!

Old 01-22-2020, 11:47 AM

1,808 posts, read 823,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Hopefully they got a good deal on that house!
I am not sure there are "good deals" in Seattle! But, in spite of the money for fixes and upgrades the sellers have put into the house, it's a hot market and they will still make money on the sale. I asked my daughter if she wished the pool were still there, but she said the season is just too short for the expense. Sad, really, because it was a nice size (guess that is why it was so expensive to remove).....I definitely could have done laps in it!

Old 01-22-2020, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
I am not sure there are "good deals" in Seattle! But, in spite of the money for fixes and upgrades the sellers have put into the house, it's a hot market and they will still make money on the sale. I asked my daughter if she wished the pool were still there, but she said the season is just too short for the expense. Sad, really, because it was a nice size (guess that is why it was so expensive to remove).....I definitely could have done laps in it!
I can imagine though that a longer season and more sun and warmth would come in handy with a pool!

Old 01-24-2020, 07:43 AM

OK, update: The septic "designer" is coming out Wednesday to measure everything and put it on paper to present to the county, and then once that's approved, to present to the HOA. I have determined not to get crunk about a time line.

We can't do anything till all plans are approved and the septic system is redone.

Old 01-24-2020, 09:39 AM

2,919 posts, read 2,535,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I have determined not to get crunk about a time line.

We can't do anything till all plans are approved and the septic system is redone.

Honestly, that's the best thing you can do right now.. make that decision that however long it takes, it takes. Some go in quickly, flawlessly. Some don't. So many determining factors. If you hired a good company with a good reputation, they'll do their best but unforeseen circumstances do pop up.

They also are sometimes at the mercy of their subcontractors schedules also. It's a real house of cards.
But if you go with the flow, you'll have so much more peace and then if it's done quickly... it's a bonus!

Old 01-24-2020, 09:47 AM

11,928 posts, read 5,580,791 times
I always thought I would love having a pool here in Florida and for awhile we did rent a place with a pool. The first few months I was in it every day but eventually the attraction wore thin and it was so drying on my skin.

But the last few summers have been really hot and I would love to have a small saltwater pool. My yard is big enough and there's no big trees in the backyard but there is so many other things I need to do with this house that takes priority over a pool right now.

Kathryn keep us updated so I can enjoy the pool with you!

Old 01-24-2020, 01:00 PM

Thank you and I have another update:

The pergola people called me back and are coming out to give ideas and a bid Monday! WOOHOO!

I had to take a photo of the pool plan because it's on a huge sheet of paper so I couldn't scan it as well as I could just snap a photo of it. But here is the plan in our back yard. One change - the hot tub will be centered between the windows (to the right of the pool area) and it will have a pergola over it.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 01-24-2020 at 04:41 PM..

Old 01-24-2020, 04:43 PM

Here's the photo - sorry. Can't attach it again but it's here:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/texa...periences.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden