U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-30-2020, 10:12 AM
Status: "Tell your loved ones you love them." (set 6 days ago)
 
Location: Wonderland
54,475 posts, read 42,645,939 times
Reputation: 75926

Advertisements

We found out in our last house, which was across the street from a field with a stream, that our cat was apparently a mouser - who knew? When he died, within a week we were finding evidence of mice in our house! (Never actually saw a live one but still...) So apparently he was busy up to that point, doing his mouser thing. Sweet baby!

We caught them within a few days, setting old fashioned mouse traps like the ones the Captain showed, and UGH! We also found out they were coming in apparently via the dryer vent. After a few days, no more mice in the house but UGH.

This is a bona fide RAT living outside though. And I'm not a fool - there's probably more than one if there's one. I am FREAKING OUT!!!!!

Looks like the trap was sprung but no food was gotten. Interesting. About to try again!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-30-2020, 10:18 AM
Status: "Tell your loved ones you love them." (set 6 days ago)
 
Location: Wonderland
54,475 posts, read 42,645,939 times
Reputation: 75926
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
UGH to the rat and mouse problems!!

Before my kitchen remodel I would sometimes find mouse CORPSES in the kitchen (once, memorably, on the table next to the coffee maker, and in my half-asleep state I DIDN'T NOTICE IT until I went to fill my coffee cup! ). A couple of times I could tell from the actions of my two youngest kitties that there was a LIVE mouse behind something (a bookcase, a bar refrigerator) that they couldn't yet get to -- I had to kill those myself.

I don't think I will EVER be good at that. At least I have seen no evidence of mice in the living area since the remodel -- I think all holes were plugged (knock wood!!).

KA, good luck with the rat(s)!! I doubt that it has anything to do with the pool? My back yard perimeter is a mini-forest but I've never seen rats out there -- just lots of OTHER wildlife (deer, foxes, wild turkeys & babies, bear tracks [although I've never actually seen our "neighborhood" bear] -- which I don't mind at all).
Thank you! I think if anything it has to do with the rat infestation in general that seems to be hitting more residential areas. Thanks, Coronavirus - the gift that keeps on giving.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/23/us/cd...rnd/index.html
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/2020...weve-got-rats/
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2020, 10:18 AM
 
Location: NJ
27,814 posts, read 32,996,909 times
Reputation: 19895
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
We found out in our last house, which was across the street from a field with a stream, that our cat was apparently a mouser - who knew? When he died, within a week we were finding evidence of mice in our house! (Never actually saw a live one but still...) So apparently he was busy up to that point, doing his mouser thing. Sweet baby!

We caught them within a few days, setting old fashioned mouse traps like the ones the Captain showed, and UGH! We also found out they were coming in apparently via the dryer vent. After a few days, no more mice in the house but UGH.

This is a bona fide RAT living outside though. And I'm not a fool - there's probably more than one if there's one. I am FREAKING OUT!!!!!

Looks like the trap was sprung but no food was gotten. Interesting. About to try again!
most people have no idea how unbelievably good at killing cats are. the estimates for the number of small animals killed by cats each year are mind blowing:

https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/ca...life%20Service.

"Jan. 30, 2013 — -- Cats are responsible for the deaths of 1.4 to 3.7 billion birds and 6.9 to 20.7 billion mammals every year, according to research conducted by the Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2020, 10:49 AM
 
Location: Southern New Hampshire
8,029 posts, read 14,012,227 times
Reputation: 25657
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
most people have no idea how unbelievably good at killing cats are. the estimates for the number of small animals killed by cats each year are mind blowing:

https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/ca...life%20Service.

"Jan. 30, 2013 — -- Cats are responsible for the deaths of 1.4 to 3.7 billion birds and 6.9 to 20.7 billion mammals every year, according to research conducted by the Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service."
There's always a caveat, though: many cats have absolutely no interest in mice whatsoever. (I always cringe when people say they have a mouse problem and someone suggests that they get a cat -- not all cats are good mousers!) I have had (and actually still have) cats who wouldn't move a muscle if a mouse sauntered by, while others -- like my 2 youngest, who were both feral for a while as kittens -- are GREAT mousers (although UGH).

Where I live, the Humane Society asks that everyone who adopts cats keep them INDOORS at all times. I've abided by that not only for the sake of the birds outside my windows but also to keep my CATS safe!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2020, 11:20 AM
Status: "Tell your loved ones you love them." (set 6 days ago)
 
Location: Wonderland
54,475 posts, read 42,645,939 times
Reputation: 75926
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
There's always a caveat, though: many cats have absolutely no interest in mice whatsoever. (I always cringe when people say they have a mouse problem and someone suggests that they get a cat -- not all cats are good mousers!) I have had (and actually still have) cats who wouldn't move a muscle if a mouse sauntered by, while others -- like my 2 youngest, who were both feral for a while as kittens -- are GREAT mousers (although UGH).

Where I live, the Humane Society asks that everyone who adopts cats keep them INDOORS at all times. I've abided by that not only for the sake of the birds outside my windows but also to keep my CATS safe!
Unfortunately our cat was an indoor cat and was killing these mice INDOORS - AUGH!!!!!!!!!!

This new, errr, pest, is outside. But he or they are venturing onto my patio which is NO BUENO. They have to die. I am going to kill them. That's too close to my back door into my house!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2020, 11:25 AM
 
Location: Former LI'er Now Rehoboth Beach, DE
9,689 posts, read 12,305,074 times
Reputation: 10154
If I EVER saw what you saw, I swear I would get an exterminator grande to solve that problem and then move. I kid you not I am totally freaked out by those things. Sorry I had to see the Capt's post it gave me the willies.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2020, 11:37 AM
Status: "Tell your loved ones you love them." (set 6 days ago)
 
Location: Wonderland
54,475 posts, read 42,645,939 times
Reputation: 75926
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
If I EVER saw what you saw, I swear I would get an exterminator grande to solve that problem and then move. I kid you not I am totally freaked out by those things. Sorry I had to see the Capt's post it gave me the willies.
I'm seriously thinking about calling an exterminator!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2020, 11:56 AM
 
Location: Coastal Georgia
40,269 posts, read 49,782,858 times
Reputation: 68891
I don’t mind rodents that stay outside, but if you have a food source, it will attract the critters who eat rodents....like snakes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2020, 11:59 AM
Status: "Tell your loved ones you love them." (set 6 days ago)
 
Location: Wonderland
54,475 posts, read 42,645,939 times
Reputation: 75926
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I don’t mind rodents that stay outside, but if you have a food source, it will attract the critters who eat rodents....like snakes.
All my life I've had bird feeders and also fed my dogs outside on the patio. Their food doesn't stay in their bowls for very long though! But I guess a rat only needs crumbs to be lured.

I haven't ever had a rat problem before and this is freaking me completely out! Not to sound snobbish, but I don't live in a trashy or overgrown house or property with a lot of trees, bushes, trash, food sources (well, so I thought) or whatever. But we do have three things going on - well, four I guess:

1) Bird feeders (which are far from the house but still...)
2) Dog bowls on the patio (but not anymore!)
3) Woods behind the property
4) An influx of rats into residential areas in my region - due at least in part to the coronavirus and fewer food sources in dumpsters!

The bird feed and dog food are both kept in the garage (as well as our trash cans). Thankfully there's no sign of any rodents in the garage or house. But this is totally freaking me out.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2020, 12:06 PM
Status: "Tell your loved ones you love them." (set 6 days ago)
 
Location: Wonderland
54,475 posts, read 42,645,939 times
Reputation: 75926
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
If I EVER saw what you saw, I swear I would get an exterminator grande to solve that problem and then move. I kid you not I am totally freaked out by those things. Sorry I had to see the Capt's post it gave me the willies.
If it's any consolation to you, in our previous house about three or four years ago, right after our cat died, we suddenly had mice. I know because I saw one of them and also found a nest (no babies...yet!) under our kitchen sink. So we did three things:

1) Set mouse traps
2) Bought a screened vent and put it on the dryer vent which was the only way inside and out that we could find
3) Put cayenne pepper around the house

We immediately caught three mice, and then we never saw any evidence of mice again.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top