U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2020, 12:53 PM

14,417 posts, read 17,049,975 times

Advertisements

We live well outside of town on some acreage, most of it wooded and native bunchgrass so we have mice, prairie dogs and occasionally pack rats.

When we bought this place it came with a cat- who knew cats could be considered a 'conveyance', lol. Anyway the cat never wanted in the house but we sheltered her in the heated garage in the winter. She came and went as she pleased. We had no issues with mice or other vermin. A few years ago she disappeared. My neighbor said she was pretty sure she saw a horned owl kill her. Soon after she was gone we had mice everywhere. In the house, garage, they got into our vehicles..

A little over a year and half ago we got two kittens- a brother and sister. We named them 'Hansel and Gretl'. We've been able to train them enough that they don't go out during the day (save the birds) and they work the night shift. They have a pet door in the garage. When we let our dogs out in the morning they automatically come into the house. Like they know they work a shift .

They both go straight to my wife's side of the bed and crash until 4pm. The buggers usually hit the sack before we can make up the bed, lol.

But Voila! No more mice. Good kitties!!

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2020, 03:08 PM
Status: "Tell your loved ones you love them." (set 6 days ago)

54,475 posts, read 42,645,939 times
Cats are awesome!

Old 07-30-2020, 04:35 PM

1,956 posts, read 603,663 times
I can deal with mice & rats. It's those damned chipmunks that dig holes in the yard that bother me--and they get up in the attic and run around at night. I call'em rodents from Hell.

I go to BugSpray.com for tutorials, traps and chemicals to get rid of 150+ critters and bugs. They sell the good stuff that pest control outfits don't/cannot use.

I have a chipmunk trap that I bait with peanut butter.

Old 07-30-2020, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
I can deal with mice & rats. It's those damned chipmunks that dig holes in the yard that bother me--and they get up in the attic and run around at night. I call'em rodents from Hell.

I go to BugSpray.com for tutorials, traps and chemicals to get rid of 150+ critters and bugs. They sell the good stuff that pest control outfits don't/cannot use.

I have a chipmunk trap that I bait with peanut butter.
I just realized that we have rodent pest control along with our termite coverage! Woohooo, gonna kill these suckers and hire the PROFESSIONALS - LOL!

Old 07-30-2020, 06:00 PM

74,089 posts, read 57,460,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Turned the water features on. Oh, and the yard is in the process of being sodded. Sorry, but we are having storms this weekend so the weather wasn't particularly pretty but oh well. Still can't get into the pool - the water is only 68 degrees!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
so we had 5 families over yesterday. the temperature of the pool was 88 first thing in the morning and i heated it to 90 within an hour and let the solar cover take it from there. it was 94 for the party. a couple of people mentioned that they thought it should be a 1-2 degrees less but i felt it was perfect (and my opinion is the most important since i do all the work!). as long as we continue to be diligent with the solar cover, the heater will get very little use im sure. one weird thing is that there were 6 women there, only 2 wore bathing suits and i dont think any of them got in the pool. i asked my wife why and she thinks its because they are self conscious from additional coronavirus weight. also, now we are keeping the solar cover behind the waterfall when off to be less visible. oh and the waterfall has officially become something that kids are jumping into the pool from. i dont mind it but i just need to make sure they all know to jump towards the deep end because its too shallow for jumping the other way.

You guys enjoying your pools this whole summer?

Old 07-30-2020, 06:04 PM

27,814 posts, read 32,996,909 times
between the pool and the beach club, my summer is packed.

Old 07-31-2020, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
You guys enjoying your pools this whole summer?
So far we are absolutely LOVING that pool! Probably won't be getting in it today because we're booked solid and then going to a fancy schmancy restaurant tonight but I promise we'll be back in it tomorrow!

OMG. Best purchase ever. But it was sure a biggie.

Old 07-31-2020, 06:58 AM

9,689 posts, read 12,305,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
So far we are absolutely LOVING that pool! Probably won't be getting in it today because we're booked solid and then going to a fancy schmancy restaurant tonight but I promise we'll be back in it tomorrow!

OMG. Best purchase ever. But it was sure a biggie.
K not to derail the thread, but I have a question. Obviously you are not in an area that has closed the restaurants, but are you able to dine inside?

Old 07-31-2020, 08:38 AM

27,814 posts, read 32,996,909 times
my 6 year old waits for me to go in the pool when i get home from work. my wife and 10 year old daughter dont seem interested in actually going in at that point. its harder to find time for my workouts but the time with her is magical and i will never say no to her.

Old 07-31-2020, 08:45 AM

2,209 posts, read 939,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
this was someone at the party or a neighbor? what was the reason for asking?

my zapper is on the corner of my property and i feel like the neighbor there would ask me if it weren't for the fact that it is reducing his bug population also. his family is out there so much during the coronavirus apocalypse that im sure he appreciates the bug control. there is no way id take it down. if it really bothered a neighbor i may move it or try to block it from their view but that thing works so it stays up.
Since our zapper was many years ago maybe they make them quieter these days? At that time with all the bugs and the bites I don't think the sight if it bothered anyone...it was the sound. Our back yard was large, lots of grass, landscaped areas, etc around the pool and that zzzt sound could be heard on the other side of the yard. I have to think if the product still exists it's been fine tuned because even if it weren't a sort of notice of "hah, got that one....hah, another one..." it would still be a disruptive startling sound. These times there must be some sort of silent bug killers (maybe still plug in but no noise).

These days we're in a landscaped yet wooded area on a lake with lots of privacy but no responsibility to maintain the lake. There must be a good balance of bugs to bug-eaters because no humans or pets complain nor show any evidence of bugs bites.

Oh, to finish answering your questions...yes, it was a guest who asked but on behalf of a few guests who talked to him about it. The sound itself was bothering even me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden