U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2020, 10:07 AM

8,029 posts, read 14,012,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i guess you need a special license to trap a raccoon. i guess the government wants to make money out of it. it wasnt very complicated. it just seems really obnoxious to threaten a local homeowner over such a thing. its not like a big city here where people are anonymous.
That's pretty appalling. (But the patch.com article on the 2 boys beating a racoon to death was pretty horrific as well.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
my daughters thought he was very cute. but he isnt so cute when you are trying to move the cage and he is trying to bite your hand off. my mother in law even suggested last night to bring him inside.
Honestly, I thought he was cute too, but I ALSO thought, Hmmm, how do you pick up that trap without the creature trying to get at you with his claws? I would be terrified -- would cover it with a tarp so I wouldn't see him trying to get me, but I'd still be terrified!

And your MIL thought he was a new PET or something?!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2020, 10:11 AM

27,814 posts, read 32,996,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Honestly, I thought he was cute too, but I ALSO thought, Hmmm, how do you pick up that trap without the creature trying to get at you with his claws? I would be terrified -- would cover it with a tarp so I wouldn't see him trying to get me, but I'd still be terrified!

he is cute and when you stay a good distance he looks at you and appears calm. that changes as you approach him (which i guess nobody but me did, which is good). if you lift at the handle, he cant really get you but its still pretty scary having him go nuts and try.

i was pretty surprised when my wife relayed to me that he mother suggested that. i wish she would have said it while she was at my house with me there. i would have had her take a couple of steps towards him and i guarantee her attitude would have changed.

Old 08-05-2020, 11:45 AM

9,689 posts, read 12,305,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
That's pretty appalling. (But the patch.com article on the 2 boys beating a racoon to death was pretty horrific as well.)

I thought that was pretty awful too. I don't condone animal cruelty at all, but when you have a "pest" you should be able to trap him and have control release him. I bet that law actually has done more to harm the pest population. Truth be told they are just too busy, (ahem) to be bothered.

Old 08-05-2020, 01:11 PM

27,814 posts, read 32,996,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I thought that was pretty awful too. I don't condone animal cruelty at all, but when you have a "pest" you should be able to trap him and have control release him. I bet that law actually has done more to harm the pest population. Truth be told they are just too busy, (ahem) to be bothered.
government employees get off on whatever little authority that they feel they have. i dont get into politics here but i generally despise government (im a borderline anarchist). we had friends over last night and i mentioned that the time i call government has totally confirmed my beliefs against government.

telling people its illegal doesnt stop people from removing them, it just limits their options and often that means doing things that are less than pleasant.

Old 08-15-2020, 07:15 AM
Status: "Tell your loved ones you love them." (set 6 days ago)

54,475 posts, read 42,645,939 times
Update on yardage:

1) Apparently we've taken care of the critter issue, THANK GOODNESS. I am not going to put up with that bidness. We moved the bird feeders away from the house and put the dog dishes inside the house. Then we put out some old school traps, which didn't work at all (something got the food, but also got away with it if that makes sense). Then I sprayed all around the house with a mixture of alcohol and essential oils like eucalyptus, peppermint, and lemon, which pests don't like. No evidence now of any critters of any sort. That being said, I know something is still out there because if we put a trap out, the food gets stolen. Hmmm. Oh well, they just need to stay away from my house.

2) It's hotter than heck here right now, so we've been swimming at night. I would try the mornings (and in fact, I have) but I prefer to swim later in the day, and then take a bath and wash my hair and put on jammies, all that good stuff, and then relax with a glass of vino, so there's that! But I am still thrilled with the pool.

Old 08-18-2020, 07:40 AM
Status: "Tell your loved ones you love them." (set 6 days ago)

54,475 posts, read 42,645,939 times
Big storms came through and it took my husband and me literally all day yesterday to clean out the pool! At least it was cooler outside.

Old 08-19-2020, 09:01 AM

9,689 posts, read 12,305,074 times
If I had a pool this would not be for me, but I guess there is money to be made.

https://nypost.com/2020/08/18/hourly...ers-thousands/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden