U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2021, 08:18 AM

57,139 posts, read 45,614,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i assumed that you never closed your pool. when i was in texas, it wasnt exactly pool weather but it wasnt so far off.

if i had to do it over, i may have agreed to a build in one in the deep end. i think the deep end is a waste of space anyway. i wouldnt be ok with it taking space from my shallow end.
No, I never closed my pool off or put a tarp or whatever over it. But it's too cold to get into. Looks nice though! With lower temps (water in the 50s and 40s) algae doesn't even attempt to grow and maintenance is very low. (I've never had algae actually grow but I know the likelihood increases as water temps go up and the pool is used more.)

I did a tanning ledge rather than a hot tub, and the tanning ledge is 8 feet of space and only about 4 inches deep. It's in the shallow end. But my pool is longer than average so it doesn't take away from the overall length if that makes sense.

My pool only goes to 5.5 feet deep. Personally I really like that. I didn't want anyone diving into it and don't have teens at home. I have some young teen and preteen grandkids but they know not to dive into the "deep" end. Plus I have signs up. And I keep the back yard gates locked.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2021, 09:48 AM

37,280 posts, read 41,606,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
No, I never closed my pool off or put a tarp or whatever over it. But it's too cold to get into. Looks nice though! With lower temps (water in the 50s and 40s) algae doesn't even attempt to grow and maintenance is very low. (I've never had algae actually grow but I know the likelihood increases as water temps go up and the pool is used more.)
Texas Tip: You have a freeze guard that kicks in at about 36 degrees and will run the pumps (usually at night). In the winter Just set your pumps to run at night about 12-6am instead of the day time. That way they don't run in the day then in the night also.

Once the weather warms go back to running the pumps in the day time. Your pumps need to run about 1 hour for every 10 degrees in water temperature until we get in the dead of the summer then it does not hurt to run them 12 hours a day. Usually (except the fall) if you have a Polaris type skimmer it only needs to run 30-60 minutes a day, not all day. You can increase it with leaf drop in the fall.

Many people run their pumps and their Polaris skimmer too much and it wears out the equipment and pool surface.

Just a tip from someone who's owned 3 pools and helped quite a few people build them in their new homes.

Old 02-06-2021, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Texas Tip: You have a freeze guard that kicks in at about 36 degrees and will run the pumps (usually at night). In the winter Just set your pumps to run at night about 12-6am instead of the day time. That way they don't run in the day then in the night also.

Once the weather warms go back to running the pumps in the day time. Your pumps need to run about 1 hour for every 10 degrees in water temperature until we get in the dead of the summer then it does not hurt to run them 12 hours a day. Usually (except the fall) if you have a Polaris type skimmer it only needs to run 30-60 minutes a day, not all day. You can increase it with leaf drop in the fall.

Many people run their pumps and their Polaris skimmer too much and it wears out the equipment and pool surface.

Just a tip from someone who's owned 3 pools and helped quite a few people build them in their new homes.
Thank you.

I have a freeze guard of some sort because my water features come on when the temps drop to about 35 degrees.

I have my pump running at 70 percent most of the time. So far so good. This is what the pool company recommended. I really do have state of the art equipment so I follow their advice. They have come out so often since they know I am alone now. I really think they are trying to help me keep things well maintained and running smoothly. Often they don't charge me a bit for coming out. One time I had to call them just to remove a lid on where I put the chlorine tablets! I was embarrassed but I simply could not get it off.

I don't have a Polaris skimmer. I have an in ground pool cleaning system. I love it! It works with jets of water so it doesn't hurt the surface - pushes any debris toward a filter thingie in the middle of the pool.

Old 02-06-2021, 03:53 PM

31,185 posts, read 35,119,689 times
Quote:

I did a tanning ledge rather than a hot tub, and the tanning ledge is 8 feet of space and only about 4 inches deep. It's in the shallow end. But my pool is longer than average so it doesn't take away from the overall length if that makes sense.

My pool only goes to 5.5 feet deep. Personally I really like that. I didn't want anyone diving into it and don't have teens at home. I have some young teen and preteen grandkids but they know not to dive into the "deep" end. Plus I have signs up. And I keep the back yard gates locked.
thats nice to be able to leave it open to see. id love to be able to do that. now i just look at pictures from summer and they do make me happy. im excited to get it back open. i know we will be doing lots of stuff in it this summer.

i think my deepest point is 6ft. but the deep end isnt steep on the sides so you can stand all around just not the very center (unless you are very tall). i like it but i know some would like to dive. the kids jump off the fountain which isnt ideal but i just have to keep telling them make sure to jump out towards the deep end. we are getting a waterslide for this summer (i think like 7-8 feet or so). i know that is going to be an insane hit.

Old 02-07-2021, 06:16 AM

Quote:
thats nice to be able to leave it open to see. id love to be able to do that. now i just look at pictures from summer and they do make me happy. im excited to get it back open. i know we will be doing lots of stuff in it this summer.

i think my deepest point is 6ft. but the deep end isnt steep on the sides so you can stand all around just not the very center (unless you are very tall). i like it but i know some would like to dive. the kids jump off the fountain which isnt ideal but i just have to keep telling them make sure to jump out towards the deep end. we are getting a waterslide for this summer (i think like 7-8 feet or so). i know that is going to be an insane hit.
It's so pretty! It's similar to mine in some ways but very different in others.

I know what you mean about looking at pictures though! HOPE SPRINGS ETERNAL.

I noticed around here in NE Texas, some people cover their pools while others leave them open.
Attached Thumbnails
Well, we're about to do it!-pool-july-2020.jpg  

Old 02-07-2021, 09:19 AM

so nice. it will be pool time again before we know it.

Old 02-13-2021, 07:54 AM

Ugh we are supposed to get some seriously freezing weather with temps not above freezing and many temps WAY below freezing for the next week. So I went outside and covered all the pipes and all I can do is hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

Old 02-14-2021, 01:48 PM

well, things are pretty frozen over here. more snow in the last couple of weeks than we have gotten in years. not sure when we will see our grass again.

Old 02-15-2021, 12:32 AM

Quote:
well, things are pretty frozen over here. more snow in the last couple of weeks than we have gotten in years. not sure when we will see our grass again.

Brrrrr! That looks like my back yard! It's 10 degrees here right now. I am amazed that we still have electricity and that no pipes have burst.

Old 02-15-2021, 04:18 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,711,601 times
Quote:
Brrrrr! That looks like my back yard! It's 10 degrees here right now. I am amazed that we still have electricity and that no pipes have burst.
I could only wish that it was 10 degrees here. As I'm typing this it's -15 degrees outside and the forecast is for -22 tomorrow at this time.

And to just had that there is 15 inches of snow on the ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden